Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:11 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The Stallings- East Charlotte site should now be developed as a regular mall, since Bridges at Mint Hill has not been built. If there is enough space. With the close of Eastland and the growth of Union County, the whole eastern suburban area is in need of a major mall with a Belk, Dillard's and Macy's. It is way underserved by Monroe Mall, and access to SouthPark and Northlake is inconvenient. Union County is one of the fastest growing counties in NC. Perhaps as suggested a new thread should be started to discuss this topic.
I agree. But the same anchor stores as the other malls in the Charlotte region probably wouldn't do much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
When I-485 is finished, there will be 2 traditional regional malls right on the highway within easy reach of East CLT. (Carolina Place & Northlake) When you include Southpark, I'm not sure there would be much of a market for another mall like these. I-485 should be finished before they could build another mall so I'm thinking this would limit options for developers.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:31 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy201 View Post
Charlotte could have supported both malls, catering to both sides of the city.
Not at all. You're entirely too unfamiliar with the city to make that sort of statement. Even the local newspaper acknowledged the fact that two big outlet malls built at the same time was unsustainable. Another sort of shopping center could be built over that way though, with Union County being the fastest-growing county in the state.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not at all. You're entirely too unfamiliar with the city to make that sort of statement. Even the local newspaper acknowledged the fact that two big outlet malls built at the same time was unsustainable. Another sort of shopping center could be built over that way though, with Union County being the fastest-growing county in the state.
You're entirely too quick to assume to make that sort of statement.
Just my opinion though, nothing that appeals to you.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
You're entirely too quick to assume to make that sort of statement.
Just my opinion though, nothing that appeals to you.
Why do you keep sticking up for someone from Atlanta who knows very little about Charlotte? Quite perplexing...

And exactly which statement are you referring to? If it's about his unfamiliarity with Charlotte, seeing as though he lives somewhere in midtown Atlanta and supposedly only first visited Charlotte recently, I'd say that's quite a reasonable assessment. Upon what basis would you say otherwise????

Old 12-01-2012, 03:57 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
He's entitled to his opinion. The only way to know who's right is to build both and see which one fails. That didn't pass the mustard test so there will only be one so we'll never know.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Why do you keep sticking up for someone from Atlanta who knows very little about Charlotte? Quite perplexing...

And exactly which statement are you referring to? If it's about his unfamiliarity with Charlotte, seeing as though he lives somewhere in midtown Atlanta and supposedly only first visited Charlotte recently, I'd say that's quite a reasonable assessment. Upon what basis would you say otherwise????
And you don't live here now, so what's your point?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Some type of major shopping center or mall will eventually be built on the East side of the 485 perimeter. Union County is too large of a potential market to ignore and is the fastest growing in the state. Carolina Place and Concord Mills are still a 30-40 minute drive and as of right now the pathetic Monroe Crossing mall is about the only thing out there.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 AM

58 posts, read 53,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6947 View Post
Could be the crappiest of all their crappy stores, lol. I don't know why they're even building shopping outlet complexes anymore. What is there to sell? They're like the malls: Obsolete; run-of-the-mill Chinese-made goods; no selection; ugly clothes; cheap shoes; same stuff no matter what store you're in. I used to love shopping at outlets in late '80s and through the '90s, because I could get clothes and housewares that were different, better quality, and lower prices, compared to my local mall. Now, all stores get whatever carp China / Asia is making this year/season/month. So who cares.
Nowadays manufacturers make cheaper/shoddier stuff specifically for outlets like they do for Wal Mart, apparel in particular. And the best part is outlet prices are often the same or even higher than at regular retail stores; for crappier items to boot. It's a pretty good racket, all told. Sucks that we're so used to cheap goods from overseas nobody recognizes quality craftsmanship any more.

Old 12-02-2012, 05:27 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Some type of major shopping center or mall will eventually be built on the East side of the 485 perimeter. Union County is too large of a potential market to ignore and is the fastest growing in the state. Carolina Place and Concord Mills are still a 30-40 minute drive and as of right now the pathetic Monroe Crossing mall is about the only thing out there.
Well Carolina Place is less than 30 minutes from some of the western parts of Union County such as Marvin and Weddington. But nonetheless the Matthews/Stallings area is probably a logical place for a bigger shopping center/mall, just hopefully not directly off 74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte