Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 07:36 PM

37 posts, read 131,272 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So glad I found this website, what a great resource!

My wife, son and I will be moving to the Charlotte area in July 2008. I am taking a job in gastonia and would like some recommendations of areas, excluding Gaston county that are nice to live with good schools. We have already looked at Matthews, Waxhaw/Marvin, and Ballantyne and loved them. We would love to live in Union county as I hear the schools are excellent and there is a JCC close by. Unfortunately, it looks like Union county is a little too far from Gastonia for the daily commute (unless I am mistaken). We were also told to look at Fort Mill, SC. We love the John Weiland homes and are looking for a development with a clubhouse, pool, etc with lots activities for my son and wife. Our price range tops about 600K, but would love to spend less. As we are from long island, we would love an area that won't be too much of a rude awakening (i.e not too slow)

We would love to hear any suggestions!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 07:52 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,167,413 times
It really depends on where in Union County for the length of commute to Gastonia. There are several subdivisions that meet your needs in Union county that are very close to the Ballantyne area. (I live in one of them ) I drive up to the JCC 2-3 times a week, and it's about 20 minutes door to door.

You may want to consider communities in the south or southeast Charlotte area as well. Some of them would put you closer off of 485 toward Gastonia and closer to the JCC as well.

We also relocated from LI (Plainview) back in 1998...Feel free to PM me if you would like further info, and best of luck to you

Old 10-15-2007, 05:05 AM

125 posts, read 376,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drcharlotte View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife, son and I will be moving to the Charlotte area in July 2008. I am taking a job in gastonia and would like some recommendations of areas, excluding Gaston county that are nice to live with good schools. We have already looked at Matthews, Waxhaw/Marvin, and Ballantyne and loved them. We would love to live in Union county as I hear the schools are excellent and there is a JCC close by. Unfortunately, it looks like Union county is a little too far from Gastonia for the daily commute (unless I am mistaken). We were also told to look at Fort Mill, SC. We love the John Weiland homes and are looking for a development with a clubhouse, pool, etc with lots activities for my son and wife. Our price range tops about 600K, but would love to spend less. As we are from long island, we would love an area that won't be too much of a rude awakening (i.e not too slow)

Thanks
Union County meets with Meck and York Counties just beyond Ballantyne area off 521 so distance to Gastonia would all be about the same. I believe John Weiland has a new subdivsion going into Lancaster/Ft. Mill Area. Can get you more info if interested. I too love this site and just got on yesterday. You can click on the repliers name to get more info about them.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 AM

622 posts, read 1,782,249 times
Default Lake Wylie

You should check out Lake Wylie. The area has a number of new and existing subdivisions that meet your needs and are well within your price range. The school system is highly rated and the commute to the city is very easy. Some of the subdivisions that might meet your needs are:
The Landing
Heron Cove
Lake Forest
River Hills
The Coves
Carolina Coves.

If the subdivision does not have a pool, the River Hills Country Club has all that anyone can ask for.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-16-2007 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: soliciting is not allowed. Do not ask people to DM you for more information.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 AM

252 posts, read 879,494 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
I moved from Long Island 3 years ago. Some areas just across the meck county line are very nice in that range. If you move in the Huntersville or Davidson area your commute will mostly be revese. Like living on Long Island and working the midnight shift. I commuted from Islip to NYC for 27 years so a commute here is a walk in the park, BUT can't speak for the next 5 years. It is growing by leaps and bounds.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:48 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
mooresville is way too far to the JCC..we started doing research in that area and huntersville but it was just too far for the commute as my dd goes to camp there and so on...

Old 10-16-2007, 05:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks
For that kind of money you will be able to buy a very nice home. I would suggest looking at the Tega Cay area on Lake Wylie - the homes there are fantastic and the commute would not be too bad to Gastonia.

Old 10-17-2007, 03:45 AM

125 posts, read 376,127 times
Default John Wieland Homes

Here's the link to all the John Wieland Homes in the Charlotte Region. Hopefully the map will help you get your bearings.
John Wieland Homes in Charlotte

Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 PM

44 posts, read 171,044 times
Just a question - why are you excluding Gaston County? There are some really nice areas and good schools if you know where to look.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:03 PM

22 posts, read 62,515 times
You better have a job b4 you leave L.I. The market is bad and only is going to get worse. Also, don't post how much you can afford, NC people love to hate you for this!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte