Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 PM

46 posts, read 133,948 times

Advertisements

We have been researching Lake Norman for over a year now. I have gotten lots of valuable info and input from many on this forum, thank you ! I now have another question. We currently live in Florida, on the water. We have a boat that has a very minimal draft of about 2 feet. Since we have it on a lift, we require more and at extremely low tides have to time our boating by that. My question is: while there is a lot of shoreline on the lake, what should we be looking for as far as water depth? Are there areas to stay away from? We most likely would want a lift. Are there limits as far as how far a pier can go out from the mainland? We have been looking primarily at the Point, off the water, with a deeded boatslip. We possibly could be interested in waterfront outside of The Point development, but wonder about the depth during different times of the year, and now with the drought. Any input from boaters and waterfront homeowners? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 50,070 times
Many of the ramps to Lake Norman are closed because the level is so low. A friend of mine said you are starting to see the stumps in the lake and it is very dangerous. If you find property with good water now, its a keeper.
Check out some pictures Real Estate Blog - Lake Norman Water Levels Fall 2007 . You need to find a realtor who really knows the Lake to help you make a wise decision.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,623 times
Lake levels pretty much suck right now, its crazy.

As previously stated, if you find a piece of property that has water access right now, ur safe.

I am almost 100% positive all deeded slips at the Point have more than enough depth clearance for any situation.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM

316 posts, read 394,923 times
The lake won't always be this low - I am assuming you are looking long term. The lake has levels of 120 feet (maybe more) to 3 feet in the Shoal areas. You will be fine. I am not sure about the pier and different neighborhoods have different restrictions. Good luck - Is their a difference between salt water and fresh water boats?

Old 10-13-2007, 12:58 PM

876 posts, read 3,792,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union county hopeful View Post
Is their a difference between salt water and fresh water boats?
not really, just maintenance. U usually HAVE to flush the engine on any boat that comes out of the saltwater, but I'm no pro.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 PM

46 posts, read 133,948 times
The boat we have now will not be coming with us, it really is designed for off shore fishing. It has been our experience that any vessel, whether in salt or fresh water, just does better from a maintenance standpoint when stored on a lift. But, if you can't get that lift in to the water because it isn't deep enough, well then , boating isn't much fun. I think that any boat we would end up getting up there will be smaller, and more than likely an I/O rather than straight outboards. We are looking forward to some fresh water boating, and hopefully that drought will break and the lake levels will be returning to normal. Good thing about the fluctuating levels is that the hazards can't hide, I guess....

Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,259,662 times
Housing should start to decrease there. Nice waterfront with all the lake shrinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte