U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 12-28-2012, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,691 posts, read 25,298,665 times
Reputation: 14387

Advertisements

Yes, I know it is the owner of the station who can ill afford any losses who is getting robbed but this story couldn't help but remind me of Robin Hood.

Police: 3 men stole $12,000 in gas from convenience store | CharlotteObserver.com
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
1,969 posts, read 3,404,517 times
Reputation: 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yes, I know it is the owner of the station who can ill afford any losses who is getting robbed but this story couldn't help but remind me of Robin Hood.

Police: 3 men stole $12,000 in gas from convenience store | CharlotteObserver.com

I'm actually kind of impressed.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Inactive Account
1,508 posts, read 2,797,302 times
Reputation: 970
Eh. Robin Hood was stealing from the tax collectors and returning funds back to the citizens. This is straight theft from a business.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,886,493 times
Reputation: 6809
Two points-

Police said the men pulled two vehicles up to the pump which appear to be a Ford Taurus and Dodge Durango and filled gas into both vehicles with more than they paid for

The suspects continue to pump gas into more people's vehicles without the store clerk noticing, police said.


When did 5th graders start writing for the Observer?

The store owner told police this has been happening several times a day for a number of days since the beginning of December with an estimated 3,700 gallons stolen.

Apparently it didn't occur to the store owner to do anything after the first several thefts? What are some people thinking?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
 
8,402 posts, read 22,886,493 times
Reputation: 6809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Eh. Robin Hood was stealing from the tax collectors and returning funds back to the citizens. This is straight theft from a business.
All the people who took the stolen gas are guilty of receiving stolen property. If there are cameras as the station this could get ugly for a lot of people.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 7,367,044 times
Reputation: 1442
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Two points-

When did 5th graders start writing for the Observer?
...

Apparently it didn't occur to the store owner to do anything after the first several thefts? What are some people thinking?
They are hoping the paywall will allow them to hire middle-schoolers next.

I want to know technically how this was possible. There has to be something wrong. The pumps should have cut off at "X" dollars.

Speaking of paywalls, there are several sources for this story. It would be nice if people would start googling for non pay sites so we don't use up our free views too quick.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,691 posts, read 25,298,665 times
Reputation: 14387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Eh. Robin Hood was stealing from the tax collectors and returning funds back to the citizens. This is straight theft from a business.
That's why I said reminds me of. Although, depending on your point of view there isn't much of a difference.

I was wondering about the people who received the gas being on camera. Seems like they would be able to figure who they are but maybe this place didn't have cameras at the pump.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Matthews, NC
14,691 posts, read 25,298,665 times
Reputation: 14387
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
They are hoping the paywall will allow them to hire middle-schoolers next.

I want to know technically how this was possible. There has to be something wrong. The pumps should have cut off at "X" dollars.

Speaking of paywalls, there are several sources for this story. It would be nice if people would start googling for non pay sites so we don't use up our free views too quick.
Let me Google that for you
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 AM
 
595 posts, read 1,544,246 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I want to know technically how this was possible. There has to be something wrong. The pumps should have cut off at "X" dollars.
Did you read the article?

Quote:
...they apparently had a key for one of the gas pumps.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 11:48 AM
 
9,986 posts, read 10,320,178 times
Reputation: 6247
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
That's why I said reminds me of. Although, depending on your point of view there isn't much of a difference.

I was wondering about the people who received the gas being on camera. Seems like they would be able to figure who they are but maybe this place didn't have cameras at the pump.
Robin Hood?? Outright theft.. Also my guess is they were charging customers money for the gas not giving it away..... cmon
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top