Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 02:44 PM

69 posts, read 245,244 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to the Charlotte area in January and I've noticed (from looking online) that most of the small rental houses in our price range ($750-800) don't have garages or fenced in yards. Is this safe? I mean, am I going to have a lot of problems with trespassing and car theft? I grew up in California and this living situation wouldn't be safe even in "safe" neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 02:52 PM

674 posts, read 804,739 times
Don't worry! Many smaller homes do not have fences or garages but are perfectly safe! Just look in an area that has a lower incidence of any type of trouble. Namely, it is a general rule of thumb to avoid East and West Charlotte. If you tell us where you are looking we may be able to tell you more about the neighborhoods!

Old 10-11-2007, 05:10 PM

241 posts, read 755,820 times
Just do plenty of research before you relocate. My wife and I made 2 extended trips to the area before deciding on where to live. Sure, crime can be an issue. It isnt widespread, but Charlotte isnt crime-free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybee22 View Post
My family and I will be moving to the Charlotte area in January and I've noticed (from looking online) that most of the small rental houses in our price range ($750-800) don't have garages or fenced in yards. Is this safe? I mean, am I going to have a lot of problems with trespassing and car theft? I grew up in California and this living situation wouldn't be safe even in "safe" neighborhoods.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:58 PM

69 posts, read 245,244 times
That's really good to know, I guess Charlotte is much safer than anywhere I've ever lived! I don't know the neighborhood names but the houses we've found are in area codes: 28269, 28208, 28216, 28214, and 28227. We are also interested in Concord, Huntersville, and Mooresville. We have 2 toddlers and prefer a neighborhood with tons of young kids and nearby parks.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 PM

241 posts, read 755,820 times
The "bedroom" communities are generally safe. The commute to CLT from the out lying can be a hassle. From my experience, parts of East and West Charlotte are the most crime ridden areas. Depending on where in CA you're from, Charlotte crime may seem like no big deal to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybee22 View Post
That's really good to know, I guess Charlotte is much safer than anywhere I've ever lived! I don't know the neighborhood names but the houses we've found are in area codes: 28269, 28208, 28216, 28214, and 28227. We are also interested in Concord, Huntersville, and Mooresville. We have 2 toddlers and prefer a neighborhood with tons of young kids and nearby parks.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 PM

19 posts, read 60,973 times
My son and his wife and daughter live in Huntersville. They love it. they have a cute home, and it is safe, neighbors have kids. Just FYI from his experience.
And yes, the commute can be hectic. He was stuck on 77 for three hours today. But that doesn't happen everyday.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 PM

273 posts, read 1,338,807 times
the reason I like fences is for if you have dogs. I keep my dogs inside most of the time with the family, but no fence seems to create problems for most people who just let their dogs roam outside in this neighborhood in mallard creek. Dogs are always wandering out of their families yards and into the apt complexes or walking on the streets with no one. Alot of times its either failed electronic collars or just too much trust that the dog is staying in the yard when people arent watching. Its tough to take my dog for a walk, as unsupervised dogs are often running right up and scaring my dog to death. I noticed the same thing, and in CT it is very uncommon to have no garage or no fenced yard. What stinks is a lot of HOA wont let people build fences even if it comes out of their own pocket

Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,395 times
I spent my first three years in Charlotte with neither a fence nor a garage in an area called Sedgefield which is close to Uptown. I never had one problem with crime there.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:13 AM

674 posts, read 804,739 times
First off, anyone seeing dogs wandering about needs to call animal control. The dogs will be returned to the owner with a warning if they have tags on. This is not only illegal, but a public safety issue AND a safety issue for the dogs.

Second, if the CCRs [covenants, conditions and restrictions] allow for fencing and as long as certain requirements that may be outlined in the CCRs are met in relation to height, color, materials, etc, then the HOA cannot decline an application for a fence.

Third, to the original poster: I would not go by zip codes when looking for a home. 28269 is a great example: there are neighborhoods that are OUTSTANDING and others that are a little too close to questionable areas for my taste. Perhaps you could tell us the names of the streets or neighborhoods so we can give better feedback? And yes, as previously mentioned, Concord, Huntersville and Mooresville are all fantastic for families!

Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 AM

273 posts, read 1,338,807 times
[quote=ncisgreat;1713712]First off, anyone seeing dogs wandering about needs to call animal control. The dogs will be returned to the owner with a warning if they have tags on. This is not only illegal, but a public safety issue AND a safety issue for the dogs.

quote]

I'm going to create a thread on this so that we dont hijack this persons thread. I'll name it "Roaming Dogs" We can continue there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte