Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM

35 posts, read 73,811 times

Advertisements

My husband is a cop in The Phoenix area and we are thinking of leaving this "mini L.A." area. We have looked at Boise, ID and liked the area. He has put his app in and been on a ride along with the BPD. They aren't hiring until late spring 2013. We are also looking at Charlotte, but we don't know much about the area. Looks like they are also hiring. Depending on salary, it looks like the cost of living is comparable to Boise. We have a 4 yr old and 6 yr old. So like most, we want good schools. Are there any cops on here from the area that could give me some insight about living and working there? My husband has never lived anywhere but AZ. I am from the midwest but have been here since 2004. Where we live and work in the Phx metro area is pretty safe and "boring". I mean that in a good way. It's just so expensive here. We don't want to trade safe, boring and expensive for unsafe and less expensive. My husband is concerned with gang violence and violent crimes. How much of an issue, if any, are gangs there?

We do love the history and culture of the south and are hoping to visit for ourselves really soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Yes, there are gangs here. And violence of all forms is an issue here.

How long has your DH been on with that agency?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:12 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,807,131 times
I have no evidence to base this on, but surely there is much less gang activity in Charlotte than Phoenix?

Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM

35 posts, read 73,811 times
He works for Scottsdale..not a whole lot of gangs there...more like spoiled rich kids who can't make good common sense decisions.. lol He's been a cop for 8 years. He has many certifications...dui and dre expert, truck inspection certified which is a federal certif. Phoenix is worse than Scottsdale mainly due to the number of illegals. He is highly qualified and has a degree in criminal justice. We've heard really nice things about the Charlotte area, but not sure about the crime..maybe just depends on where you live. Obviously, he wouldn't be able to control where he patrols, but we would like to live someplace safe.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 PM

162 posts, read 240,001 times
I would hesitate to make a switch to Charlotte before finding out payscales. I believe Scottsdale PD starts at 49K and rises to a max of 79K. Charlotte starts at 33k with a Bachelors degree. Since your husband has already invested 8 yrs in that PD I would guess he is making above the 49K starting salary. Do not come here and take a significant pay cut if you are not fully aware of all that it entails. Has he looked for federal employmnet in the Scottsdale area? DEA,TSA,ICE? Go to USAJOBS, they usually have many listings for various law enforcement positions nationwide. Good Luck.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
I didn't realize AZ was expensive?

If the job is in the city of Charlotte, yeah there is some violent crime there but not so much in the outlying areas. Property crime does seem to be on the rise in the metro area though, not sure if that's the case in AZ.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:19 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggroomer67 View Post
My husband is a cop in The Phoenix area and we are thinking of leaving this "mini L.A." area. We have looked at Boise, ID and liked the area. He has put his app in and been on a ride along with the BPD. They aren't hiring until late spring 2013. We are also looking at Charlotte, but we don't know much about the area. Looks like they are also hiring. Depending on salary, it looks like the cost of living is comparable to Boise. We have a 4 yr old and 6 yr old. So like most, we want good schools. Are there any cops on here from the area that could give me some insight about living and working there? My husband has never lived anywhere but AZ. I am from the midwest but have been here since 2004. Where we live and work in the Phx metro area is pretty safe and "boring". I mean that in a good way. It's just so expensive here. We don't want to trade safe, boring and expensive for unsafe and less expensive. My husband is concerned with gang violence and violent crimes. How much of an issue, if any, are gangs there?

We do love the history and culture of the south and are hoping to visit for ourselves really soon.
We have mini "LA's" here too, so yes, crime here is high like it is in Phoenix. I would look very close at Boise.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:55 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Really strongly encourage you to visit first...

Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I have no evidence to base this on, but surely there is much less gang activity in Charlotte than Phoenix?
Read up on the Hidden Valley Kings. They even made it onto national TV due to their notoriety.

I'm not sure that it is directly related to them but a BofA executive was shot dead in the middle of the day at the Hilton at UC as part of a gang initiation.

The OP should not assume it's safe in CLT when it comes to crime. (not saying they are)

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,371 times
Biggest thug punk gang here is CMPD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte