U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 AM

183 posts, read 357,181 times

Advertisements

They have a new deal which is iPhone compatible.. just curious.. thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM

985 posts, read 1,767,834 times
I have been looking into it too, but it would be good if someone has used it locally. Personally, I wish we had more option than a 2 year plan at any carrier...we are the only country that does this. Plus the cost of the 2 year plans are much higher.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,114,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I have been looking into it too, but it would be good if someone has used it locally. Personally, I wish we had more option than a 2 year plan at any carrier...we are the only country that does this. Plus the cost of the 2 year plans are much higher.
You can pay full price for a phone and then pay monthly but the only problem is you are stuck with certain carriers. Not sure if LTE will change it to be like it is in Europe. I do agree it would be nice to be able to easily change carriers like they can in Europe.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:10 AM

2,173 posts, read 3,784,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
They're charging full price for the iPhone, which starts at $649.

The only caveat I see with them is that there is some fine print on 'unlimited' on their plans. Make sure you're not throttled after x number of GB.

BTW, Canada has 3 year contracts.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:49 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,193,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
You can pay full price for a phone and then pay monthly but the only problem is you are stuck with certain carriers. Not sure if LTE will change it to be like it is in Europe. I do agree it would be nice to be able to easily change carriers like they can in Europe.
It is reported that T-Mobile will cut the subsidy and have a lower per month plan because of it. Not sure if that means 2 year contracts or not. Looks like they'll allow payments on the phone but I wonder if you add it all up won't the monthly be the same until the phone is paid for?

And are Americans going to understand the difference or just want a "free" phone?

Another headache here is incompatible networks such as Verizon.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:12 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,114,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
And are Americans going to understand the difference or just want a "free" phone?
Some Americans will understand while others will not understand why a phone would cost so much and will still want a free phone and the cheaper monthly phone plan.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 AM

4,129 posts, read 10,798,579 times
I have Straight Talk and use it with an iphone 4. I did purchase the phone from CL used. I love it. However, I am not a heavy data user and am in wifi 80% of the time anyway. Data is only 3g with ST. . You will need an ATT iphone.

My husband just switched to ATT through his employer and they pay for a new phone for him evert 2 years, so, in 18 months I will get his iphone 5.

Dawn

PS: The iphone has always been available, you just needed to buy it on your own and then get a SIM from ST. It is just that ST is now actually selling the iphone new. You can still bring a used iphone to the plan.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 22,141 times
Wife has been using it on her Samsung Galaxy S2 for about 8 months now and we've had no problems. They use AT&T towers so she gets great coverage and data speeds.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,105 times
my wife uses it with an iPhone 4 (international version), and works great. You just need to download an app to get the data working, and it doesn't allow tethering unfortunately.
The $45 plan also doesn't allow international texting, but if you use viber or similar apps there are ways around it.
From what I've seen of the phone plans here, this is definitely one of the cheapest for what you get for calls, text & data.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:44 PM

4,129 posts, read 10,798,579 times
Download an app? In all my searching for getting data working with ST on an iphone I have never seen anyone mention an app.

I did have to reconfigure the APN settings.

Can you tell me what the name of the app you are talking about is?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessnz View Post
my wife uses it with an iPhone 4 (international version), and works great. You just need to download an app to get the data working, and it doesn't allow tethering unfortunately.
The $45 plan also doesn't allow international texting, but if you use viber or similar apps there are ways around it.
From what I've seen of the phone plans here, this is definitely one of the cheapest for what you get for calls, text & data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte