U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM

177 posts, read 428,945 times

Advertisements

In case you don't know, redshirting in Kindergarten is when you hold your kid with a summer birthday back for a year so he/she is the oldest in the class rather than the youngest. It began several years ago with kids who turned 5 in June/July/August. Parents of kids in predominantly suburban, upper-middle class areas do this and it happens more often with white male children. It has become so common now in this area that kindergarten classes are catering to kids age 6 years instead of 5 (the age when kids are SUPPOSED to enter Kindergarten).

I personally have a child who will be 5 in August and I had always planned on putting him in kindergarten this fall....until recently. After talking to teachers at his future school, they advised that very few 5 year olds enter kindergarten now; it's mostly kids who are 6 or almost 6. I think it's a shame that I may hold my kid back because the masses are holding theirs back. There should be an even playing field.

I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the subject as it pertains to schools in Charlotte versus schools in other areas. Is this as common in other school districts around the country?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 12:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 24,709,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafish41 View Post
I personally have a child who will be 5 in August and I had always planned on putting him in kindergarten this fall....until recently.
It may be a dumb question, but does the school system offer any "kindegarten readiness testing"? If not, would you be willing to pay a private psychologist to test?

Frankly, I think it should depend on the individual child's readiness, rather than what the neighbors are doing. If you feel your child is ready, please do what you feel best.

On a personal note, I was always the youngest child in my class, and I suffered a bit in sports. The physical co-ordination angle will likely affect a boy more than a girl, and he will always be younger than his peers even in high school.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Yes, they do have a "checklist" to see if your kids is ready. Mine passes all of the items on the checklist.

However, even though my child is ready, the masses are holding their kids back regardless- just so that their kids won't be the youngest. It's become such a common thing to do in the Charlotte area that it's now the norm. Of course, I could put my kid in based on the fact that he's academically ready but I hate that he would be as much as 18 months younger than others in his class just because redshirting is what the majority of people do now.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM

527 posts, read 876,719 times
which part of Charlotte? There is no trend like that, at least not in South Charlotte.

Majority of people whome I know who send their kids to KG at 6 are people who could not meet the cut off date.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
which part of Charlotte? There is no trend like that, at least not in South Charlotte.

Majority of people whome I know who send their kids to KG at 6 are people who could not meet the cut off date.

Ballantyne and Union Co areas. When you have a 4 1/2 year old about to enter Kindergarten with a summer birthday you'll hear plenty about it. It was never that big of an issue until now (kindergarten enrollment time).

Old 01-16-2013, 01:22 PM

985 posts, read 1,823,075 times
my are by far the youngest in a union county school. I have children that turned 13 this school year already in the 8th grade, and yes we know 7th grades 6 months older than mine, as well as kids in their grade a whole year + older. The closest I know in age to mine are July and maybe an early August but even those seem to have been held in TK.

Yes, it is done all over the country heard parts of Texas are extreme.

Most of the time people are surprised when we say what age the kids are and what grade they are in. TK here is huge and seems to be growing.

Did the teacher give a valid reason other than everyone else is doing it?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post

Did the teacher give a valid reason other than everyone else is doing it?
No, she just advised on holding him back since the rest of the class will be so much older. She said, "by all means, put him in if you think he's ready", but followed up by saying she doesn't have any 5 year old kids with summer birthdays in her current class; they were all held back

Old 01-16-2013, 01:33 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,284,737 times
This is certainly not a new trend, and not exclusive to Charlotte, people have been redshirting (mostly boys) for kindergarten since they started having kindergarten. TK classes are very poplular in many preschools.

The same reason you don't want your child to have kids in the same class that are 18 months older is the reason other parents use, except they initially don't want their kid to be 12 months younger than others. Everybody does what they think is best for their child, and often that means giving them the size and maturity to make their time at school easier. In other cases, its necessary to start school earlier, or skip a grade. Do what you think is best for your kid.

I have yet to hear of anyone regretting redshirting their kid, although I've heard the opposite of not holding them back.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:35 PM

238 posts, read 547,575 times
My oldest started kindergarten when she was 5. SHe has an April birthday. My youngest will start this year, she turns 5 in February.

I think redshirting is fine, if your child is not emotionally ready for school, is too immature and is not potty trained.

But I've heard of many people redshirting boys, she they can do better in sports. That I think is ridiculous.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM

985 posts, read 1,823,075 times
agree too many do it for sports!

Here is an interesting article
Redshirting and Hyperparenting | Have We Gone Too Far?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte