U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2007, 08:13 AM

15 posts, read 50,163 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any info on Lennar Homes and specifically their Pleasant Glen subdivision? My husband and I are thinking of relocating in the Charlotte area and wondered about how reputable that builder is and if PG is in a nice area. Is it convenient to shopping? Are there any parks nearby that we can bike and hike?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 08:56 AM

285 posts, read 967,356 times
I liked Pleasant Glen, but settled in Knightsbridge. I didn't want to wait for a house to be built. Lennar includes "everything" in their price, but your choices are limited (3 countertop choices, 3 tile choices, etc). I really liked the models they were building, but I was a little concerned that all the houses in the neighborhood might look the same inside.

Pleasant Glen is about 1 mile south of Carowinds theme park. That means you can get on I-77 in about 1.5 miles. You will have more traffic because of the theme park in the summer, but I've not seen it particularly bad.

That particular section of Fort Mill township doesn't have a lot of shopping, but you are very close to S. Tryon in Charlotte/Steel Creek and pretty close to Pineville where Carolina Place Mall is, as well as every other kind of store you can imagine.

On Carowinds Blvd you will find gas stations, Cracker Barrel, a hotel and a few restaurants. Also beside Carowinds the new Latino-themed mall will be opening soon, Plaza Fiesta. I have no idea how that might impact the traffic in the area. On Pleasant Road there is a Black and Decker factory/warehouse and the rest is pretty "country" still. A few new neighborhoods going in.

Off of Carowinds/US 21 east of I-77 are several major fireworks stores (this area looks a little run-down but not seedy) and farther down is the Regent Park neighborhood (search forum for discussion on the PTL Club hotel controversy in Regent Park). I don't really consider Pleasant Glen to be in the same area as Regent Park, however. A new Bloom grocery store just opened by Regent Park, and there was talk of a Target going in there but I don't know the status of that.

Hope this helps.

Liz

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,498,361 times
Lots are on the smaller side as well.

They do have a good amount of inventory available right now with nice incentives if you close by the end of Nov.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:30 AM

22 posts, read 58,652 times
Default Production home VS. Custom Home

Lennar is a production builder, what you see is what you get. You go to a model and pick it, then go to design center and pick everything from colors to the roof. They don't change walls or change the structure of the home. You may be able to pick different faces on the house (brick, stone, vinyletc). Khov, Centex, Beazer, KB, DR Horton and Lennar are nationwide production builders. They have web sites you can check all there communities. The positives about these companies are that they will not take your money and run. The workmanship is average; the construction varies by region and code. KHOV is one of the best in NJ, but in Raleigh it is average at best. They also float the loan so you can put a very low deposit until home is completed.

Customs home is the most expensive and most likely best product. These are usually locals who are quality not quantity. You are most likely going to go to an architect and design a home or pick from some of there customs designs, but with this type of builder you can pick a-z, everything from wall insulation to size of home. You also tend to get larger lot, the with a production norm of .25acre The biggest down fall with these individuals are some are fly by night shysters who can walk with your money. You need to put more down, b/c they don't float the loan or you can get a construction loan. You really need to do your research with this type of home building.

I have built homes in FL with DR Horton, NC with Centex, NJ KHOV and everything turned out good. Every problem I ran into was always covered under 2yr fit to finish warranty or 10 structure.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:21 PM

149 posts, read 511,524 times
We bought a Lennar home. Overall, we're completely satisfied. There were a few, minor, problems after settlement that they fixed with no problems.

It's true you cant make any changes, but what you start with is really pretty good (stainless stell GE profile appliances, tile/hardwood, etc.) One exception was the carpet. We changed out the carpet in the family room about a month after we settled (their carpet is pretty low quality).

Our previous home was custom, so we kind of enjoyed the "easy" choices that we had tom make this time around.

As far as all the neighbors looking the same, not a concern. We've all done alot of customizing (Paint, build ins etc) and I really dont get the feeling that they are alike.

With any builder you'll hear alot of nightmare stories. Even in my neighborhood, some people had issues. (Then again some people make alot of noise about small things, so it's hard to tell!). If you want custom, Lennar is not for you.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:10 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,079,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottean View Post
Lots are on the smaller side as well.

They do have a good amount of inventory available right now with nice incentives if you close by the end of Nov.
Lennar is getting ready to open a new community in Mooresville right next door to my subdivision called Harris Crossing. Yep, the lots are small, prices are starting at $250K but, so far, the model looks pretty nice. They've also started building some of the homes, 4 so far, with brick & stone fronts & about 3 different floor plans. Can't wait for it to open so I can go inside & look around.

BxRosie

Old 10-20-2007, 07:51 PM

15 posts, read 50,163 times
Thanks for all the information about Lennar.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Standard Pacific and the Reserve at Gold Hill (Ft. Mill)?
We are also considering that development. Is the area around there nice? Is the traffic very bad? How's the shopping?

Old 12-13-2007, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 14,348 times
We are considering the Myrtle Beach Community--Glenmoore. Lennar seems to give a great deal for the money. How is the actual structure of the homes, as this is a concern up and above the visible.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:26 PM

5,978 posts, read 18,778,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J & L View Post
Thanks for all the information about Lennar.

Does anyone have any thoughts about Standard Pacific and the Reserve at Gold Hill (Ft. Mill)?
We are also considering that development. Is the area around there nice? Is the traffic very bad? How's the shopping?
I live at the Reserve. PM me...

Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,079,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Lennar is getting ready to open a new community in Mooresville right next door to my subdivision called Harris Crossing. Yep, the lots are small, prices are starting at $250K but, so far, the model looks pretty nice. They've also started building some of the homes, 4 so far, with brick & stone fronts & about 3 different floor plans. Can't wait for it to open so I can go inside & look around.

BxRosie
Forget Harris Crossing, Lennar pulled out from building it last week! Supposedly it has something to do with financing & projected sales over 3 yrs vs. 5 yrs. Last night I heard that another builder took over, but no one knows who it is yet.

BxRosie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>