Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times

Advertisements

39-year-old Kimberly White rode her daughter's bicycle on a 26-mile round trip to Lincolnton to apply for a job earlier this month.

read more here with video NC woman rides bike 26 miles to apply for job

I wished there was a follow up, she should be hired for taking the initiative and determination just to apply for work.
Riding a bike on Hwy 150 from Cherryville to Lincolnton consists of lot of hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
An effort like that really deserves recognition by somebody. I hope that the company she applied to recognises that they have someone who REALLY wants to work and will react positively. This assumes that the company is even aware that she made this huge effort to come and see them.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:56 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Overheard at the business "Jeez, did you see that sweaty interviewee? What'd she do, ride a bike here?"

Old 09-27-2012, 12:05 PM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Overheard at the business "Jeez, did you see that sweaty interviewee? What'd she do, ride a bike here?"
Also overheard was, "Yeah, she told me that she biked here. Said that she didn't realize how far it was. How stoopid can some people get?"

"Right, no way are we employing her. Jeez, she'll be worn out by lunch time every day."

------------------------
Y'know I nearly wrote that at the end of my first post.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM

247 posts, read 378,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Great. I just guffawed at my desk.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
39-year-old Kimberly White rode her daughter's bicycle on a 26-mile round trip to Lincolnton to apply for a job earlier this month.

read more here with video NC woman rides bike 26 miles to apply for job

I wished there was a follow up, she should be hired for taking the initiative and determination just to apply for work.
Riding a bike on Hwy 150 from Cherryville to Lincolnton consists of lot of hills.
And there's folks in Gaston and Lincoln counties who firmly believe that mass transit is a waste.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
And there's folks in Gaston and Lincoln counties who firmly believe that mass transit is a waste.
Gastonia has a small bus system. There are some CATS busses too. They also went to NCDOT when CATS refused to work with them on a commuter train. They are ham-strung until the Gateway Station is up & running. Current plans run west into Cleveland County I've heard of no interest in Lincoln County, though.

I hope that this woman got a job.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
LOL, I dont see train pickup in Cherryville when its poulation is around 5,828 and Lincolnton is 10,925.
CATS does supply van pool as I seen vans parked in Lincolnton and Denver. There is no Taxi service in Cherryville.

I also can see how she might have not realize how far of a bike ride, as it only a ten minute car ride.
55mph is speed limit most of the way and maybe one stop light. Most of it is cow pastures and farm land along that trek of Hwy 150.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:54 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
LOL, I dont see train pickup in Cherryville when its poulation is around 5,828 and Lincolnton is 10,925.
CATS does supply van pool as I seen vans parked in Lincolnton and Denver. There is no Taxi service in Cherryville>

I also can see how she might have not realize how far of a bike ride, as it only a ten minute car ride.
55mph is speed limit most of the way and maybe one stop light. Most of it is cow pastures and farm land along that trek of Hwy 150.

When the train does eventually come out here, Kings Mountain will have a park & ride lot to accomodate riders from Cherryville, Bessemer City, &, no doubt, Blacksburg.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:58 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Gastonia has a small bus system. There are some CATS busses too. They also went to NCDOT when CATS refused to work with them on a commuter train. They are ham-strung until the Gateway Station is up & running. Current plans run west into Cleveland County I've heard of no interest in Lincoln County, though.

I hope that this woman got a job.
I'm not familiar with the details of Gaston Transit and CATS past dealings. I do know that Gaston, Lincoln, and Catawba counties could really use a transit tax to help keep up with the demand. Bicycles and slow-speed scooters on country roads is NOT safe nor is it a "good look" for those areas. If this woman had been a Charlotte resident, she would have been able to apply for work on a $4 air-conditioned round-trip bus or train (and she could have taken her bicycle with her on that bus or train). However, there are leaders within her community who can't see any good reasons for better mass transit options.
Quote:
Mass transit can be anything from a van, to a bus, to an airplane. Cherryville and Lincolnton could really use a van-transit circulator of some sort. Based on population, it wouldn't seem as though there is a need. However, those areas have a large percentage of folks who are either out of work or are living below the poverty line. Mass transit would be a huge relief for such an area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte