Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM

4 posts, read 52,230 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

My husband and I are thinking of relocating to Huntersville, NC. We live in California. We have friends who just relocated from here to Statesville. They love it out there. We are going to visit them in the spring time to really get a feel for what it is like out there. We have researched the town of Huntersville and it looks like such a nice fit for our family. We have 3 kids.

Does anyone have any input about Huntersville schools? Which are the best and which to try and avoid? We really want to try and buy a house, but we would probably just rent for a while until we would know what area we would really prefer. How about the weather? We read that it does get hot and humid in July and August, so we expect that.

If anyone has any info or input please let me know Anything would be helpful.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:54 PM

186 posts, read 436,292 times
Huntersville has a ton of housing options, but the schools these options feed to vary greatly in quality. Overall, Torrance Creek ES has the best reputation of the Huntersville elementary schools. Other schools in Huntersville in order of quality are Huntersville ES, Barnette ES and Blythe. Middle schools in order of quality are Bailey Middle, Bradley Middle, and JM Alexander. The Davidson IB middle program (a very high quality program) recently moved to Alexander so I would imagine their results will improve with that. High schools in order of quality of Hough HS (only part of Hville is in this district), Hopewell HS, and North Meck. Hough is only 2 years old, seeing great results, and was built to relieve serious overcrowding at North Meck. Hough drew off a significant number of North Meck students and profoundly changed the make up of the student population. To illustrate the neighborhood pattern... neighborhoods that feed to Torrance Creek largely feed to Bailey Middle which feeds to Hough HS. Bailey and Hough are also fed by elementaries in Cornelius and Davidson which are adjacent to Huntersville

The weather here is pretty nice year round, we're in a deep freeze right now, but it never lasts long and we often have winter high day time temps in the 50s and 60s. yes, the heat and humidity can get pretty high in July and August, which is just a great time to hit the lake, hit the pool or hide in the AC. Spring and fall are gorgeous and allow for lots of outdoor activities and beautiful scenery. If you want more specific input, its helpful for us to know comfortable price ranges, importance of commute time, new vs. old home, big yard vs. no yard. Good luck in your decision making!

Old 01-24-2013, 08:33 PM

Thanks so much for your input! We are going to have to thoroughly check out the schools. We have one going into middle school in the fall and 2 in elementary. So it is really important to us to find the best schools for them.

My husband would mostly stick to the Charlotte area for work since the commute from there to Huntersville doesn't look that bad. He would definitely not want a long commute. He is in the IT field. Unless he would be fortunate to find something in Huntersville.

As far as housing prices, we would be first time buyers and we can't believe how much house you get for your money. Price range not really sure $160,000-$260,000? We would have to see how much we would even quality for. Plus we want to get established first with his job situation, then residency. Yes we would want a big yard. Not huge. We were looking at new home developments and old ones as well. So we're not sure yet about that one. Most of the old ones we looked at were so charming.

We are so excited to visit out there. We really hope that we can in the Spring time.

Thanks again for your input!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 PM

162 posts, read 240,001 times
Also take a look at Davidson, Cornelius and Mooresvile. Denver on the West side of the Lake is also a possibility but stay in the North Lincoln School District.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:14 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Don't forget to look at Lake Norman Charter School located right in Huntersville. In NC, charter schools are supported by taxes but are not part of the school system. It's grades 5-12 and also within walking distance of several neighborhoods.

Lake Norman Charter - HOME

Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 AM

527 posts, read 919,264 times
With school going kids, dont take the risk of moving to Huntersville.

I have friends ended up paying $25K for private schools.

Pay a little more and move to south charlotte or look for ways to get into magnet schools

Old 01-25-2013, 01:09 PM

Thanks so much! I will check it out.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM

Hi ADA_NC,

I thought that the schools in Huntersville were good ones? Why didn't your friends like them? I am still going to check out the Charter school there that a previous poster had suggested.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:54 PM

186 posts, read 436,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strully View Post
Hi ADA_NC,

I thought that the schools in Huntersville were good ones? Why didn't your friends like them? I am still going to check out the Charter school there that a previous poster had suggested.

Thanks!
Those statements are fairly broad-brushed, many people who live in this are are very happy with the education their children receive at the local schools. Its not as if every school in S. Charlotte is a great school. You still have to be very careful about the neighborhood and its zoning, as you would basically anywhere. Huntersville covers a large area geographically speaking, its the north section with the most desirable schools. South Charlotte has a lot of minuses in my mind that make it less desirable than Huntersville/Davidson/Cornelius - higher city property taxes, really bad traffic, and very significant suburban sprawl, and certainly no access to Lake Norman which is the real draw for this area. The commute to the city from exit 23 will be about 25-30 minutes. You should assume that your bottom range might buy a bunch of house, but it won't get into into the good school district. Here are some neighborhoods that will have options in your price range, but probably at the top end of your range. Most of these neighborhoods may also have a house or two for rent.

Macaulay
Monteith Park
Cambridge Grove
Hampton Ridge
Wynfield Forest

A word to the wise, both rentals and sales in the area go very quickly and inventory is quite low.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strully View Post
Hi ADA_NC,

Thanks!
Some of the schools in Huntersville are decent but the best schools in the county are in south Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte