U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM

14,693 posts, read 24,898,514 times

Advertisements

I swore there was a thread dedicated to this, but damned if I could find it. Anyway, looks like this guy is going up the river for a lifetime bid.

The article says that the policy of confirming addresses by 911 dispatchers was changed but doesn't go into specifics. As I seem to remember, the cop should have known how to find the place even though he was given the wrong address (IMO).

Flying Biscuit murders mark a first in N.C. homicide cases | CharlotteObserver.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:06 AM

2,430 posts, read 4,284,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I swore there was a thread dedicated to this, but damned if I could find it. Anyway, looks like this guy is going up the river for a lifetime bid.

The article says that the policy of confirming addresses by 911 dispatchers was changed but doesn't go into specifics. As I seem to remember, the cop should have known how to find the place even though he was given the wrong address (IMO).

Flying Biscuit murders mark a first in N.C. homicide cases | CharlotteObserver.com
and now we'll all have to pay for the rest of his life...

Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM

524 posts, read 843,783 times
why no death penalty?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:11 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,226,236 times
I'm confused why we even have a death penalty if its not sought for this type of crime. Why in the world would a DA plea bargain, with so much evidence, there wasn't even a shred of doubt. To avoid an appeal?? That is the nature of all death penalties, they get automatically appealed. So in fact he's choosing to make his own policy of not instituting the death penalty when warranted and ignoring our laws.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Assistant DA wanted a confession and guilty plea v/s a no guilty plea plus death penalty argument.

They chose easy way out!

Old 01-25-2013, 11:54 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,222,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Assistant DA wanted a confession and guilty plea v/s a no guilty plea plus death penalty argument.

They chose easy way out!
No one has been executed in NC since 2006. No new death penalties handed down at all in 2012. In the US less than 100 last year.

Why spend all that money and go through a decade of appeals just to roll the dice. The DA could SEEK the death penalty but that doesn't mean he'd get it. No DA is getting it right now.

That's a lot of money and resources with the possibility of not winning at all versus a sure thing and a quick one at that.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,341,914 times
With all due respect to the people who hunger for death, but I would be OK with the death penalty in cases of first degree premeditated murder, but in situations like this where it was more along the lines of a misunderstanding that ended up escalating tragically, that shouldn't be an excuse for the death penalty.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
With all due respect to the people who hunger for death, but I would be OK with the death penalty in cases of first degree premeditated murder, but in situations like this where it was more along the lines of a misunderstanding that ended up escalating tragically, that shouldn't be an excuse for the death penalty.
Killing a pregnant woman is excusable? That's 2 lives.

He could have simply walked out of the confrontation. There are ways to deal with anger, killing the other person is not answer.

No matter what the circumstance.. taking another human being's life is inexcusable.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:36 PM

14,693 posts, read 24,898,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
and now we'll all have to pay for the rest of his life...
It about comes out to the same amount of money by the time they go through a trial, appeals, evidence review, etc. And it's not like they get executed immediately either.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,341,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
Killing a pregnant woman is excusable? That's 2 lives.

He could have simply walked out of the confrontation. There are ways to deal with anger, killing the other person is not answer.

No matter what the circumstance.. taking another human being's life is inexcusable.
Says the person who asked "why no death penalty" and "they took the easy way out."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte