Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,232 times

Advertisements

I am currently an ABA tutor working in homes and am interested in moving to the Charolette/Gastonia area and was wondering what the services were like for special needs/autistic individuals??? I am wondering also how prevelant/popular ABA therapy is in NC, I know that TEACCH is desired. I am moving from Ohio and ABA is huge....just wondering about NC?? ANy information would help out a lot, even if it is not regarding ABA, just services in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 PM

396 posts, read 1,434,369 times
ok, I'll bite-- what's ABA & TEACCH?

Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM

533 posts, read 1,833,441 times
i believe ABA is applied behavior analysis and i am not sure what TEACCH stands for but i think it has to do with working with individuals with autism.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:28 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
ABA is more popular in other areas of the country but TEACCH is the gold standard for diagnosis and treatment here in NC. The acronym stands for Treatment and Education of Autistic and Related Communication Handicapped Children. It's administered through UNC at Chapel Hill but there are regional locations across the state. The closest one to us (we live in Union County) is in Gastonia. The founder, Eric Schopler, just died last year, if I recall correctly.

In general speak, I don't think it's any harder here to access services than it is in most places around the country.

Sara

Old 10-06-2008, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 7,757 times
Hi!

ABA is not as prevalent in NC as other states, but it is growing as parents and professionals become better informed. Are you still planning on moving to Charlotte? We are currently looking for ABA therapists to implement in-home programs throughout Charlotte-Mecklenburg and Union counties. If you are interested please e mail me off list - [EMAIL="n.acosta5@gmail.com"]n.acosta5@gmail.com[/EMAIL].

Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,723 times
I have been looking for positions in ABA or in home therapy, but I am not certified. I have been working in homes, daycares and schools providing 1:1 ABA as well as other types of play therapy and behavioral intervention for the past 5 years. Many people are leaving our company due to lack of work. Any suggestions for companies that are hiring or need contract work?

Old 10-12-2008, 11:02 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,084,399 times
Not being facetious but to maximize employment opportunities, move elsewhere. ABA just isn't catching on in NC as quickly as one would expect. The treatement options and therapies are largely dictated by TEACCH sooooo until they are on board ....

Good luck.

Sara

Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 AM

4 posts, read 15,448 times
You should check with Garr Christian Academy. They have an ABA / special ed program that the parents there seem to be crazy about. I have a child in their regular christian academy so I don't know alot of details about the ABA program itself there but the staff seems very loving and dedicated to helping these kids grow and learn.
Hope this helped.
Garr's autism website Garr Christian Academy: What We Do
Garr's main website Garr Christian Academy!!! 7700 Wallace Rd, Charlotte NC 28212

Last edited by Missa_charlotte; 10-17-2008 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: to add links so this post is more useful

Old 10-25-2008, 02:06 PM

21 posts, read 76,285 times
There is a school in cary, NC that does verbal behavior under the ABA umbrella. The Mariposa School for Children with Autism. It is wonderful.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,121 times
Does an ABA Therapist required to have an NPI number?

Last edited by COTA; 12-06-2013 at 01:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte