Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 AM

238 posts, read 567,580 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to reasearch summer camps for this summer. Last year we paid $3000 for our daughter to go to summer camp. She's 6.

I've called a few summer camps, one Camp Thunderbird, was $390 a week, which for the entire summer would be $4290. Yikes!

Does anyone know of any great summer camps that won't break my bank?

I need one that is all day, since both me and my husband work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 AM

537 posts, read 1,767,522 times
it's been ~years~ since I needed to research summer camps, so I cannot give you advice on GREAT ones. However, back when my son needed a summer camp, it all seemed so expensive, then, too.

In order to cut expenses and provide a variety of experiences, I opted to use the CMS program as our "base" summer camp. Then, I'd add in a week of Thunderbird day camp, a week or two of Thunderbird overnight camp (expenses for overnight camp were not eligible for child-care expenses on the taxes,) a couple weeks of "Camp Neptune" which was run by the Meckenburg County Aquatic Center and depending on his age, he may have had one week at Scout camp (overnight.) For a few years there also, we had a skating rink that provided some summer camp programs and he attended a week or two of that.

The variety was good that he didn't get bored doing the same camp every week. The logistics were a near nightmare. When he attended the Thunderbird Day Camp week(s) I could count on being in the car at minimum of 3.5 hours a day! But, I didn't mind. I felt it was worth it for him to be well cared for.

He's 22 now. For the past two summers, he's taken a job as a day camp counselor at the Charter School from which he graduated. Last summer, he was also a Teacher's Assistant for a Duke T.I.P. session. Last week we were talking about his summer camp experiences and he told me his FAVORITE summer day camp was Camp Neptune. Not sure if they still run it, but I'm sure it's an easy Google search.

Looks like they had it last summer... Summer Camps

Good Luck!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:13 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,666 times
This will be the first year my girls will not be eligible to participate in summer camp, but they will be working there as counselor in training. I live in Clover, SC and for the past few years I sent my girls to the YMCA. They loved it! They made lots of friends and they do fun stuff and trips everyday. They go to the pool, they have magicians, outings..etc. They were VERY affordable - and I looked everywhere. I am only commenting on the Clover YMCA, but I am sure that other YMCA's are pretty affordable. I think Fort Mill has a summer program and they might be closer to you. I think I paid something around $2,200 for both of my girls, full summer, 7am - 6pm.

Also, the YMCA just opened a Lake Wylie branch - if you were willing to drive to Camp Thunderbird for summer camp, the Lake Wylie branch is actually a bit closer to you. It's literally right over the Buster Boyd Bridge - AND....you can gas up there at their huge gas station for dirt cheap!

I just looked up the Lake Wylie YMCA pricing...and the price last year for 6 year olds was $1,100 for the entire summer - not bad!

Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM

238 posts, read 567,580 times
Thanks Samana, I had discarded the YMCA idea after seeing Camp Thunderbird's prices. Since they are with the YMCA I figured it would be a better price, but 340 was steep. Especially whem I'm still paying a fortune in daycare for my youngest.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Thanks Samana, I had discarded the YMCA idea after seeing Camp Thunderbird's prices. Since they are with the YMCA I figured it would be a better price, but 340 was steep. Especially whem I'm still paying a fortune in daycare for my youngest.
I had also looked into Camp Thunderbird when I first moved out here, but I agree, their prices are way too steep at least for my pockets! And I have 2 kids that are 17 months apart - so I literally have to pay double for everything.

When I was researching, I called a LOT of places and the YMCA was by far the most affordable. I also LOVED that their hours are until 6:15pm - which worked great for me since I get out of work at 5pm and it takes me about an hour to get home.

I think your child will really like the YMCA. My girls loved it. If the age limit was not a factor, I would definitely continue to send them....especially since I feel the teenage years require more supervision!!

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:55 AM

162 posts, read 228,509 times
Many parents are opting to hire a summer nanny with the rising cost of summer camps. There are many older college students that are looking for work for the summer as well as CMS employees. There are many advantages to having a nanny and believe it or not the cost can be cheaper than many summer camps.

If you have any questions on summer nannies please feel free to DM me.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,203 times
I also agree with considering the Y day camp. Camp Thunderbird is an overnight camp with a lot of different experiences to offer but if you are looking for basic day camp the Y is great. It is also much cheaper than 340, it is $190 for members and $246 for non members. Here is the link for Morrison's camp info. We don't need a full summer of camp, but I usually have my daughers go to a variety of camps from the Y including a full day camp and they LOVE everything about it.

http://www.ymcacharlotte.org/files/p...on_DayCamp.pdf

Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,367,723 times
If you are looking to get away from the typical 'daycare' setting for summer camp like we were, I highly recommend Reed's Karate Academy. We loved them so much our daughter continued there all this year for after school care. We loved the structure, support, and discipline it provided and I have seen my child do a 180 in temperment from what shes learned and practiced.
We intend to keep her in the program for as long as shes interested based on the progress she has made as an individual. They do their homework every day after school with them, they push them to be respectful and hard working. My daughter is 7, and has truly loved it.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:19 PM
amp

519 posts, read 1,515,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
If you are looking to get away from the typical 'daycare' setting for summer camp like we were, I highly recommend Reed's Karate Academy. We loved them so much our daughter continued there all this year for after school care. We loved the structure, support, and discipline it provided and I have seen my child do a 180 in temperment from what shes learned and practiced.
We intend to keep her in the program for as long as shes interested based on the progress she has made as an individual. They do their homework every day after school with them, they push them to be respectful and hard working. My daughter is 7, and has truly loved it.
Where is this? Sounds interesting.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 PM

430 posts, read 803,898 times
amp, it's right by Pine Oak Rd and 16.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte