Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 AM

238 posts, read 567,904 times

Advertisements

Do you have a shed, if so where do you keep it and what do you keep in it?

I've never had one, but I think I need to buy one. I was thinking of putting it next to my house. We have a side load garage and if I put it next to the house it would sort of look like an extension. I'm going to paint it the same color and it'll be a craftsman style shed like my house. Would it look odd there? Should it just go in the backyard?

I'll be keeping all my lawn maintenance stuff in there. Lawn mower, clippers, weed whacker..etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
You need to consult local HOAs and codes to determine if and where you can put a shed.

I considered a shed a while back but realized I just had too much crap. Be sure you're considering a shed for the right reasons.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
I have thought about a combination shed and workshop, but I've got enough room in the house for everything so I never built one. One of my neighbors put one up and even bricked it and installed architectural shingles to match the house.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,944 times
There is an unwritten law of physics that applies to sheds - the greater the available storage space, the greater the need to collect and store "stuff." I know from whence I speak. I built what I refer to as my 8x10 barn. The shed is a small storage area that is part of the house.

I took a few months and researched various options and companies that build sheds - some basic and some fancy. I had the shed built about 50 feet from the house in the wooded part of the lot. I had it painted one color - chocolate brown - to blend into the shadows and background (It took my neighbor across the street a month before he ever noticed it). The color and blending also reduces the risk of prying eyes, casing the area, of thieves who might want to break in and steal some expensive tools and a generator.

Check building codes and your HOA if applicable. In Mecklenburg, if you build anything over and 8x8 you are subject to having the footage added to your under roof taxable property. In my case - gotta catch me - and since the "barn" is close to being invisible, especially from a satellite perspective, I doubt the shed will be noticed and if it is, it looks smaller that reality.

Last edited by paulosfm; 02-08-2013 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-08-2013, 02:48 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,051 times
You best out a BIG STRONG lock on it us all I can say.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:18 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
Love our shed. Much rather put the lawn mower and yard/garden tools and chemicals in there rather than the garage. We bought from a place in troutman and the quality is very good.

Definitely agree that it will lead to you owning more "stuff". Haha

Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
There is an unwritten law of physics that applies to sheds - the greater the available storage space, the greater the need to collect and store "stuff." I know from whence I speak. I built what I refer to as my 8x10 barn. The shed is a small storage area that is part of the house.

I took a few months and researched various options and companies that build sheds - some basic and some fancy. I had the shed built about 50 feet from the house in the wooded part of the lot. I had it painted one color - chocolate brown - to blend into the shadows and background (It took my neighbor across the street a month before he ever noticed it). The color and blending also reduces the risk of prying eyes, casing the area, of thieves who might want to break in and steal some expensive tools and a generator.

Check building codes and your HOA if applicable. In Mecklenburg, if you build anything over and 8x8 you are subject to having the footage added to your under roof taxable property. In my case - gotta catch me - and since the "barn" is close to being invisible, especially from a satellite perspective, I doubt the shed will be noticed and if it is, it looks smaller that reality.
So did you get the basic or the fancy?

Where's the best place to get a shed? How are the ones from Lowes/Home Depot? I know there are also all those "Rent to Own" places all over the side of the roads so there does appear to be a good amount of options on where to get one.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:04 AM

373 posts, read 778,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
You best out a BIG STRONG lock on it us all I can say.
Make sure the shed is Big Strong first.
If you don't, you may walk outside to find no shed and a Big Strong lock laying there in its place.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 AM

905 posts, read 3,454,676 times
A few years back I bought one for my house. I shopped long and hard for the best quality and price. I ended up choosing this company: www.4barnyard.com

It was built on site, took 2 guys 1.5 days to build a 10x20 w/2 windows. I think the final price was about $2,700. You will find this is much cheaper than what the box boxes offer. Barnyard has a location in CLT and surrounding towns, check them it for yourself.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM

20 posts, read 24,009 times
I have a shed in my yard ..my h.o.a made me make it look like my house or i could not have one...lolol what a joke that is...will never buy in a h.o.a again...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte