Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:17 PM

14,496 posts, read 20,693,049 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has a learner's permit but no car. They want me to let them drive my car, with me as the passenger for some short driving practice. They have taken driving classes and with those, there was no insurance issue.
I'm not questioning the safety of their driving.
But, anyone can be sitting at a red light minding your own business and be run into = accident.
In general does my liability insurance cover my car and me as the driver.
Or does it cover my car, no matter who the driver is?
I have Allstate, if anyone has experienced this, with maybe your own kids learning to drive in your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I have a friend who has a learner's permit but no car. They want me to let them drive my car, with me as the passenger for some short driving practice. They have taken driving classes and with those, there was no insurance issue.
I'm not questioning the safety of their driving.
But, anyone can be sitting at a red light minding your own business and be run into = accident.
In general does my liability insurance cover my car and me as the driver.
Or does it cover my car, no matter who the driver is?
I have Allstate, if anyone has experienced this, with maybe your own kids learning to drive in your car.
Call your agent to get the best answer on what your policy covers. This site has good informative answers
Does Auto Insurance Cover Friends Driving My Car? - CarsDirect

Old 02-10-2013, 04:49 PM

5,462 posts, read 6,072,325 times
My agent has always told me they insure the driver not the vehicle. He has assured me regardless of whose car I am driving the vehicle is insured through my personal insurance not the vehicle owner's insurance.

The best advise is given by the poster above, consult your agent!

Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,210,099 times
Why does anyone want a license but got no car? Seems kind of "irregular" to me and makes me wonder...gezzz all these people wanting to drive yet they got no car and no insurance......????

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,810,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
My agent has always told me they insure the driver not the vehicle. He has assured me regardless of whose car I am driving the vehicle is insured through my personal insurance not the vehicle owner's insurance.
From the Allstate website:

Auto insurance is designed to follow the car, which means that the coverage you purchased for your vehicle will cover the car regardless of who’s driving it.

That said, in order to be fully covered by your insurance policy, the person driving your car must have permission (verbal or written) to do so.

The person driving your car must be an occasional driver only, not a regular driver or user of the vehicle. If they get into an accident while driving your car (and considering they had your permission to drive the car at the time of the accident), your auto insurance will be considered the primary coverage in any accident-related claim that’s made. The driver’s auto insurance coverage will be considered a secondary coverage, and will only activate if damage claims exceed the limits of your policy.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:43 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,265,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

The best advise is given by the poster above, consult your agent!
Other way around, Insurance follows the car primary, any insurance you carry as a driver will be secondary if you are driving some one else's car.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 6,072,325 times
My agent always tells me I am fully insured for a rental car without the additional insurance offered by the rental folks. My automobile insurance follows the person.
Whenever I've purchased another vehicle I have been told to go ahead and drive it home, I am automatically insured on the vehicle as soon as I turn the key.
Although, I hear what you are saying, because as soon as I get it home, I turn in the VIN and my rates increase based on the newly acquired vehicle.

Hummm?

It appears there are many ways to insure a vehicle and a person at the same time.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:56 PM

930 posts, read 2,162,902 times
Our insurance covers anyone driving our car and insurance on a rental vehicle.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,210,099 times
Whats to stop one person from buying a car all legal and having insurance on it all legal and then he lets 15 of his friends drive it 24/7 and maybe he even gets a little payment from his "friends" When the car gets torn up, they just get another one.Its not like anyone is watching...

Old 02-11-2013, 05:12 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,926,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Why does anyone want a license but got no car? Seems kind of "irregular" to me and makes me wonder...gezzz all these people wanting to drive yet they got no car and no insurance......????
Simple answer. My child wants her license but she doesn't need a car while she is away at school. However, she wants to be able to drive one of our cars or her boyfriends car when she needs to. Why should I keep a car here for her if she may only drive several times a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte