Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:38 PM

539 posts, read 1,499,232 times

Advertisements

OK, so the time has come to start shopping for a new mattress - something I hate more than buying a car. I know how to buy but was looking for good/bad on past experiences on where to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,769,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
OK, so the time has come to start shopping for a new mattress - something I hate more than buying a car. I know how to buy but was looking for good/bad on past experiences on where to buy.
Too many games when buying a mattress. Can't compare apples to apples. The Original Mattress Co. received the second highest rating for national chains in a Consumer Reports article a few months ago. #1 was Temper but the price for that is much much higher.

Also, anyone that tells me to replace my mattress every 8 years and tries to frighten me by showing dust mites and telling me that my mattress weight doubles by then I'm not going to buy from.

So I think I'll go with OMC the next time. If you don't need quality then I'd just go to Sam's but I like quality and got lucky on the current set I have.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,660,612 times
We were happy with our purchase from Original Mattress.

Their products use older style technology (specifically their coil design), but they're solidly made, and reasonably priced. Delivery was good too.

We'd use them again, without reservation.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 AM

221 posts, read 358,237 times
I bought a Serta Euro Top King at Sams Club for 700.00 with box spring.
THE SAME SET I GOT AT SAMS COST OVER 1000.00 AT SMALLER MATTRESS STORES.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:30 AM

162 posts, read 401,273 times
Try the Wholesale Mattress place on South Blvd across from the Arrowood station. We bought a full set WITH delivery for 200 bucks.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:52 PM

348 posts, read 847,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
Here is an older thread and I posted my opinion there as well:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...factory-4.html

I posted there that I would never buy another mattress from The Original Mattress Factory, especially the South Boulevard location. I still have the Queen Orthopedic pillow top but it has a foam mattress pad cut for the middle to even out the dent in the middle that appeared 3 weeks after I bought it. The foam in the middle has helped even out the surface of the mattress because without it my back was hurting real bad in the morning. They would not give me any refund and said according to NC law when you buy a mattress you are SOL if you don't like it.

The Mattress Factory, on the other hand, I found out later that they will give you a time period to try out the mattress and if you don't like it, they will come and get the mattress no questions asked. I would definitely check them out and ask them about that guarantee. The OMF did not offer any guarantee.

I will save save save and get a Temperpedic the next time. I have a funny back and it's worth it for me to get a good night's sleep without waking up sore in the morning. But my opinion of The OMF is they have cheap junk mattresses and I wouldn't buy from them again.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,717 times
Don't forget about Craigslist, you can get some real steals there.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:51 PM

322 posts, read 667,309 times
I bought my mattress set at Colony Furniture, and have had it for nearly 20 years. It still sleeps like a dream. And one of the greatest things I like too is that it was made locally in South Carolina.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:00 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,401,971 times
I brought a Simmons Beauty Rest from Value City, five years ago and it is still like new. One must invest in a mattress at least $1000 or more to be comfortable. With a good investment and turning periodically, you should have it for at least 10 years. I do believe a mattress must get replaced at least every 10 years, not matter your body weight. No, I do not hat statistics, I am just going by life experience.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,769,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkforu View Post

The Mattress Factory, on the other hand, I found out later that they will give you a time period to try out the mattress and if you don't like it, they will come and get the mattress no questions asked. I would definitely check them out and ask them about that guarantee. The OMF did not offer any guarantee.

I will save save save and get a Temperpedic the next time. I have a funny back and it's worth it for me to get a good night's sleep without waking up sore in the morning. But my opinion of The OMF is they have cheap junk mattresses and I wouldn't buy from them again.
The Mattress Factory's website doesn't talk about warranties. I appreciate them saying they are better priced but how do you compare apples to oranges? Just what is "comparable".

Also, they have 2 employees that work 7 days a week but they have three stores. Maybe they need to update the stats.

I'm not sure I want to buy from someone never takes a day off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte