Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM

12 posts, read 40,010 times

Advertisements

I am moving to South End soon. This is a relocation for me and my SO (we've only been to Charlotte four times) but we're excited about the move and about being close to the LYNX.

This is a TOTAL 180 for me. I'm moving from a super suburb in NC to what my partner calls a "suburban urban or urbanette" part of Charlotte. He's originally from Queens and worked in Manhattan, so he's kinda familiar with the "urban" concept. I, on the other hand, am not, and am really stepping out of my comfort zone.

To semi-support Geologic's future dream here, we actually sold one of our cars in anticipation of the move, and will purchase monthly CATS passes. We sought out a location very close to a LYNX station and are aware of B-Cycles/CATS transfers nearby. For us, the LYNX and a more urban environment was a big positive/selling point for making the move. When I visited for the first time (after the DNC), I discovered Charlotte was less developed than I imagined. It feels like a little big city, and isn't nearly as daunting as I thought it might be. It still feels friendly and charming to me, and that's part of the appeal.

To semi-support the fact that I live in reality, we didn't sell BOTH cars. Personally, I would find it very difficult to be car-less in Charlotte. I can see how it is possible, but it isn't practical for our situation. Giving up one car and electing to walk to destinations that we previously only drove to is a huge shift. I'm not sure who said it earlier in the thread, but CATS is certainly not free, and the cost isn't insignificant. Based on what we currently pay, monthly passes for two people will probably cost as much as gas and parking from NBS to Uptown. It is a major convenience thing for my SO because he will work in Uptown--no traffic, no hassles.

We considered other areas, and even suburbs like Ballantyne, which is most similar to where we are currently. We decided we wanted a change, an adventure, and a more urban, active lifestyle. That's what we will get--but "surburban urban/urbanette" style, and I have no delusions that that will change drastically any time soon. I am excited about the Publix coming to South Blvd in 2014--that will be a big thing for me. I'll hope for more retail once some of these apartments get warm bodies. All of this takes time. We consider ourselves to be in the infancy of the experience, and, just like our own kids, we're looking forward to watching it grow and develop over time. Also, just like our kids, we know this takes decades, and we hope much of the initial special sweetness and charm remains.

Last edited by JeninNC; 02-18-2013 at 04:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
^^^ this makes sense and sounds like you guys made a conscious decision based on where Charlotte is now vs where you want it to be.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:09 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeninNC View Post
I am moving to South End soon. This is a relocation for me and my SO (we've only been to Charlotte four times) but we're excited about the move and about being close to the LYNX.

This is a TOTAL 180 for me. I'm moving from a super suburb in NC to what my partner calls a "suburban urban or urbanette" part of Charlotte. He's originally from Queens and worked in Manhattan, so he's kinda familiar with the "urban" concept. I, on the other hand, am not, and am really stepping out of my comfort zone.

To semi-support Geologic's future dream here, we actually sold one of our cars in anticipation of the move, and will purchase monthly CATS passes. We sought out a location very close to a LYNX station and are aware of B-Cycles/CATS transfers nearby. For us, the LYNX and a more urban environment was a big positive/selling point for making the move. When I visited for the first time (after the DNC), I discovered Charlotte was less developed than I imagined. It feels like a little big city, and isn't nearly as daunting as I thought it might be. It still feels friendly and charming to me, and that's part of the appeal.

To semi-support the fact that I live in reality, we didn't sell BOTH cars. Personally, I would find it very difficult to be car-less in Charlotte. I can see how it is possible, but it isn't practical for our situation. Giving up one car and electing to walk to destinations that we previously only drove to is a huge shift. I'm not sure who said it earlier in the thread, but CATS is certainly not free, and the cost isn't insignificant. Based on what we currently pay, monthly passes for two people will probably cost as much as gas and parking from NBS to Uptown. It is a major convenience thing for my SO because he will work in Uptown--no traffic, no hassles.

We considered other areas, and even suburbs like Ballantyne, which is most similar to where we are currently. We decided we wanted a change, an adventure, and a more urban, active lifestyle. That's what we will get--but "surburban urban/urbanette" style, and I have no delusions that that will change drastically any time soon. I am excited about the Publix coming to South Blvd in 2014--that will be a big thing for me. I'll hope for more retail once some of these apartments get warm bodies. All of this takes time. We consider ourselves to be in the infancy of the experience, and, just like our own kids, we're looking forward to watching it grow and develop over time. Also, just like our kids, we know this takes decades, and we hope much of the initial special sweetness and charm remains.
Congratulations on the move! Good luck!!!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,237 times
Quote:

To semi-support Geologic's future dream here, we actually sold one of our cars...
This sounds great. And also great is your enthusiasm about the move.
Downsizing to one car makes great sense, until you see if you can get by without any car at all. I totally support a decision to take one step at a time.

I hope you will keep us informed through this thread, and let is know how it is working out.

I have now spent countless hours on researching WHICH CONDOS and which neighborhood might be suitable for someone living Carfree in CLT. I will share some of it with you on this thread, but I am not yet ready to post it here yet, since I want to incorporate ALL the condos. Give me a few more days and I will have it.

As a taster, here's some of the data for the area around the 7th St LYNX station:

Condos and Townhouses in Charlotte: South from 7th St.
======================
(7th St.)
WS-88/SS-89 : Courtside Condos : 505 E 6th St (First Ward) : $326K : 2.5b=5mins.: 7th St.
WS-80/SS-89 : Court Six Condos : 525 E 6th St (First Ward) : $XXXK : 7b =14mins : 7th St.
WS-82/SS-93 : 400 NorthChurch : 400 N. Church (4th Ward) : $436K : 4b = 8mins. : 7th St
WS-82/SS-93 : Jefferson Square : 415 N. Church (4th Ward) : $371K : 4b = 8mins. : 7th St
WS-80/SS-85 : 701 N. Church-- : 701 N. Church (4th Ward) : $628K : 6.5b=13mins : 7th St
WS-74/SS-73 : The Garrison---- : 715 N. Graham (N.4th W) : $372K : 10b =20mins : 7th St

Courtside Condos has the shortest walk to the station, two others are just 8 minutes.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 40,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
^^^ this makes sense and sounds like you guys made a conscious decision based on where Charlotte is now vs where you want it to be.
We certainly tried to with the short period of time we were allotted. We wanted to get to know the "real Charlotte" (I have no idea what that means at this point, lol) and felt we might miss out if we started our adventure in the suburbs. I don't know where we will end up, but we are looking forward to exploring our new home town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Congratulations on the move! Good luck!!!
Thanks very much for the well wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
This sounds great. And also great is your enthusiasm about the move.
Downsizing to one car makes great sense, until you see if you can get by without any car at all. I totally support a decision to take one step at a time.

I hope you will keep us informed through this thread, and let is know how it is working out.
Thanks, Geologic--I appreciate that. I'll update if people are interested. This will be a big adjustment and an interesting experiment. I really can't imagine living in Charlotte without a car, personally, but I can do something to improve my health and help the environment a tiny bit. I don't think I'll be saving much, if any, money, however.

You work from home, so I would imagine you can find an area that meets most of your immediate needs--coupled with public transport, a bike, rental car/Zip car, etc... It is doable; it just isn't, and probably won't ever be in your/my lifetime, what you are used to now, let alone some of the renderings you have shared with us. Which reminds me, what's up with the one where the pedestrians have to walk up that massive hill?? That didn't look too friendly to me! LOL

If you haven't done so already, I would search CD threads and read about the progression of the LYNX and future Uptown development. You will see a lot of pros and cons regarding development and passion on both sides. It helped me understand why things progress the way they do, or don't. Obviously, the economy is a major factor, too.

Thus far, I have found Charlotteans to be a very friendly and helpful bunch--including those you spar with here. I hope you come to find the same if you decide on a relo to the area.

Oh, and remember what your mom always said--you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...

Good luck wherever you chose to land--it's a big move, and a big decision.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, and remember what your mom always said--you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...

Good luck wherever you chose to land--it's a big move, and a big decision.
There is a fair amount pf natural hostility across the Carfree/Car-dependent divide.
I think it comes from our need to focus our investments in a time of scarce resources. Car owners are very unwilling to give up the favored position they have had. But I reckon they will be forced to do so. When oil prices shoot up high enough, they will just not be enough money to retain all the roads, and economic necessity will drive people towards a less car dependent way of living.

(An Aside: A big question, which I have not explored much here is : Do I want to be in a city at all when the Long Emergency arrives? I may explore that on another thread, but not in the CLT section.)

If I do indeed move to CLT, I plan to live within 10 minutes walk of a LYNX station; probably within 8 minutes, and maybe even within 5 minutes. That is why I am doing so much detailed research on where this is possible.

Thus, only 3 of the 6 condos listed above for the 7th St stop area will work for me. It is good to know in advance before a visit, which Condos are potential targets. Then I can visit all of them, and see what is in the immediate vicinity.

The good news is that the inside 10 minute ones do not seem to be much more expensive than the others. This suggests that only a handful of people may have adopted my living strategy so far.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
There is a fair amount pf natural hostility across the Carfree/Car-dependent divide.
People are hostile towards pointless generalities directed towards large groups of people.

You are attempting to create a false controversy where none exists. This topic is about Charlotte and you will find that people here are pro-transit, but not on the terms that you seem to demand. Furthermore this isn't a simply binary decision. i.e. your "carfree vs carDependent". That is a simplistic view of a complicated subject and one that I don't agree with.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Here's the "Walkers Guide to Charlotte Condos" that I have been working on....

Condos and Townhouses in Charlotte: South from 7th St. LYNX
======================
(7th St.)
WS-88/SS-89 : Courtside Condos : 505 E 6th St (First Ward) : $326K : 2.5b=5mins.: 7th St.
WS-80/SS-89 : Court Six Condos : 525 E 6th St (First Ward) : $XXXK : 7b =14min.: 7th St.
WS-82/SS-93 : 400 N.Church : 400 North Church : (4th Ward) : $436K : 4b=8mins. : 7th St
WS-82/SS-93 : Jefferson Square : 415 N Church (4th Ward) : $371K : 4b=8mins. : 7th St
WS-80/SS-85 : 701 N.Church : 701 North Church : (4th Ward) : $628K : 6.5b=13mins. : 7th St
WS-74/SS-73 : The Garrison : 715 N. Graham (N.4th Ward) : $372K : 10b-20mins : 7th St
WS-83/SS-92 : Park Place-4thWd : 337 W 7th St. (4th Ward Park) : $649K : 5b=10mins : 7th St
(CTC sta.)
WS-83/SS-93 : Avenue Condo : 210 N Church St (Fourth Ward) : $290K : 4b=8mins.: CTC sta.
WS-83/SS-92 : Fifth and Poplar : 300 W. 5th Street (4th ward) : $280K : 5.5b=11mins.: CTC sta.
WS-92/SS-94 : Trademark : 333 W Trade St (Third Ward) : $356K : 4b=8mins.: CTC sta.
WS-92/SS-92 : The Trust C'os : 139 S.Tryon (Downtown) : $2.15Mn : 3b=6mins.: CTC Sta.
(3rd./Conv)
WS-82/SS-92 : 230 S. Tryon : 230 S. Tryon St (Third Ward) : $463K : 2b=4mins.: 3rd/Conv.
WS-82/SS-90 : The Ratcliffe: 435 S. Tryon (Downtown) : $722K : 2.5b=5min : 3rd/Conv.
WS-89/SS-83 : SKYE C'os/Park : 222 S Caldwell (2nd Ward) : $XXXK : 2b=4mins.: 3rd/Conv.
(Stonewall)
WS-91/SS-82 : Metropolitan : 1100 Metropolitan (Dilworth) : $393K : 10b=20mins : Stonewall
(Carson)
WS-86/SS-81 : The Arlington : 315 Arlington Ave. (Dilworth) : $298K : 2b=4mins: Carson St
WS-86/SS-81 : Factory South : 310 Arlington (Dilworth) : $290K : 3b=6mins : Carson
WS-68/SS-64 : Dilworth Cres.: 1148 Dilworth Crescent : (Dilworth) : $608K : 6.5b=12mins : Carson
WS-68/SS-67 : Royal Court : 701 Royal Court (Dilworth) : $351K : 2.5b=5mins : Carson
WS-57/SS-57 : Skybridge Tr. : Calvert St (Wesley Heights) : $162K : 15b=30mins. : Carson
(East/West)
WS-78/SS-86 : Dilworth Walk : 1829 Kenilworth : (Dilworth) : $228K : 14b=28min : E/W sta.
WS-80/SS-91 : Latta Pavilion : 1320 Fillmore (Dilworth) : $274K : 13b=26mins : E/W sta.
WS-86/SS-89 : Southborough : 300 Magnolia (Dilworth) : $233K : 7b=18mins. : E/W
WS-91/SS-96 : The Tremont : 301 E. Tremont St. (Dilworth) : $234K : 4b=8mins. E/W sta.
(New Bern)
WS-58/SS-71 : Dilworth Ht: 2602 Dilworth Heights : (Dilworth Ht) : $257K: 16b=32min : New Bern
(Woodlawn)
WS-43/SS-35 : Preston Flats : 1000 Woodlawn (Woodlawn) : $186K : 10b=20mins : Woodlawn
===========
(Elizabeth)
WS-65/SS-53 : Towns@Grove : 245 N. Dotger (Elizabeth) : $270K : xxb=xxmins : 3rd/Conv.
WS-78/SS-73 : Woodstone : 2929 Craftsman Ln (Elizabeth) : $234K : xxb=xxmins : 3rd/Conv.
(Plaza Midwood)
WS-83/SS-93 : Plaza Vu : 2116 McClintock (Plaza Midwood) : $225K : 25b=50min : 7th St, far
(NoDa Area)
WS-58/SS-65 : Steel Gardens : 3509 Artists Way (NoDa Area) : $207K : 13b=26mins. : Amtrac
===========

/Check detail: http://www.terravistarealty.com/nc-charlotte-condos.cfm

CODE:
WS: Walkscore / SS: Street Score
Price : is the average over about 5 years
B=Min : Is the number of blocks to the LYNX stop; x2 = number of minutes

Old 02-20-2013, 10:55 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
10 minutes.. 8 minutes... 5 minutes... lol.

Unless you speed walk I imagine these condo's are a block apart.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:06 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
I can't imagine anyone walking from Plaza Midwood to get onto Lynx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte