Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,572 times

Advertisements

These rentals in Myers Park - also look interesting to me, as a place to live

55,000+ sq. ft. condo in the heart of Myers Park,
Overlooking both Myers Park Country Club and Queens Rd. West. An entertainer's dream with open floor plan and exceptional finishes throughout. Two patios - golf course view, 2 storage units and 4 car garage! This condo has it all!

/see: 2410 Roswell Avenue Charlotte NC 28209 MLS# 2128419 - WeichertRents.com

... until I got to the 4-car garage!
Maybe another Apple an start up there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
As for Columbus, I can't see how the shopping mall in HK is much different other than the fact that there are is more residential around the area in Hong Kong.
. . .
The reason Hong Kong is more dense has a lot to do with the fact that it's geographically limited. The most dense cities in the US are also limited by topography and water - SF, Seattle, NY, Boston, Pittsburgh (downtown area). I agree that we need to build more density into our cities, but there will always be Americans who prefer the suburban lifestyle, even with higher gas prices.
The Elements Mall is right on top of Kowloon station - only one station from Hong Kong station. Rather than catering to drivers, Elements caters to those commuting by rail.

There's no need for anyone to take a car there, it is easily reachable by MTR.

I spent 4 hours there this afternoon, for a business meeting, and then had dinner.
About 20 minutes after leaving, I was back inside my flat. Access and travel is so easy by Mtr, that people will stop there on their way home from work to shop and/or to eat.

Does that illustrate a major difference ?

Old 02-14-2013, 06:52 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Frew,
You need to do a better job of distinguishing between Hong Kong and China, if you are going to make comments that stick. And, BTW Hong Kongers are much more likely to buy in London and the UK than cities in American. Mainland chinese are buying everwhere

Let's get back to the subject of the thread.
Actually I know the difference between the two and I stick to what I've said. They are buying in the USA.

If the subject of the topic is the Blue Line in Charlotte, then why are you making endless posts that have nothing to do with it?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
The Elements Mall is right on top of Kowloon station - only one station from Hong Kong station. Rather than catering to drivers, Elements caters to those commuting by rail.
Does that illustrate a major difference ?
Not really. First, that transit system seems tiny compared to the # of people. Compare it to Tokyo. Second you are not telling the entire story. THIS easily shows a different story than the one you are trying to put forth.

I don't think you are being very honest with these posts.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Not really. First, that transit system seems tiny compared to the # of people. Compare it to Tokyo. Second you are not telling the entire story. THIS easily shows a different story than the one you are trying to put forth.

I don't think you are being very honest with these posts.
Back to HK?
Sure, people use cars in HK, and there are traffic jams here. With over 7million, you would expect that.
But a minority of people need to depend on cars

"XX%* of Hong Kong people live within 10 minutes walk of an MTR station."
That's very different from most American cities (All American cities?)

*From memory the percentage is 60-70% - But I could not quickly find the source for that.

A poster on Geoexpat thought it was:
"Isn't 60% of the population and 80% of office space within 10 minutes walk of an MTR station?"
Someone else said:
"Public transport here in HK is wonderful. The small annoyances are just, small... annoyances."
Most people here would agree.

But the system is being expanded, and coverage will soon be higher.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
...That's very different from most American cities (All American cities?)
This is obvious.

So what is your point?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This is obvious.
So what is your point?
Frew, this is getting boring - I was obviously responding to your traffic photos.
Those may be cars queing at rush-hour to get through the "cheaper tunnel".
Meantime, a majority are zipping home by MTR and/or bus.

Please get back to the topic here, or stop complaining about my HK examples.

Last edited by Geologic; 02-14-2013 at 07:47 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Back to HK?
Sure, people use cars in HK, and there are traffic jams here. With over 7million, you would expect that.
But a minority of people need to depend on cars

"XX% of Hong Kong people live within 10 minutes walk of an MTR station."
That's very different from most American cities (All American cities?)
and your point is?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Frew, this is getting boring - I was obviously responding to your traffic photos.
Those may be cars queing at rush-hour to get through the "cheaper tunnel".
Meantime, a majority are zipping home by MTR and/or bus.

Please get back to the topic here, or stop complaining about my HK examples.
Unless the topic is Investing in Honk Kong I think YOU are the one who needs to get back on topic.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 AM

You two, Frewroad and Feltdesigner, seem to be trying to ruin this thread.
You make a negative comment on HK, and I respond, and you sling mud at my response. How predictable and boring this little game is becoming. So I am going to have to ignore your off topic posts, since I do not know how to report this incongruous behaviour.

SCALEYBARK STATION

As for the Blue Line stations, I have to say that this one looks rather hostile to pedestrians

Here's the description given of the photo:
Just south of the South End District, Scaleybark Station is located in the median of South Boulevard. The station itself also serves as a median refuge for pedestrians and cyclist crossing the busy four lane arterial highway.
/source: LYNX Light Rail: Five Years Later | Metro Jacksonville

It doesn't look like much of a refuge to me - just a footprint.
I suppose it all depends on one's perspective !
I have to agree, it is hard to see a short term pathway from that tiny "refuge" to the huge Elements Mall.

Last edited by Geologic; 02-14-2013 at 08:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte