Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
You two, Frewroad and Feltdesigner, seem to be trying to ruin this thread.
You make a negative comment on HK, and I respond, and you sling mud. .
It's not a discussion when you accuse anyone who disagrees with your conclusions as being rude and slinging mud. It isn't a discussion when you ignore counter points made to your points. It isn't a discussion when you post 1/2 truths and opinions as facts.

Most importantly, if the topic is being ruined, which BTW says it's supposed to be about the Blue Line, it's by the endless posts about HongKong vs American cities as if anyone beyond you cares. They don't. Americans abandoned the need to live in crowded, slum ridden, polluted cities a century ago and don't see the need to go back. Yet you persist in telling us this is good for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,454 times
I find it rude when you post off topic, making negative comments, and then when I respond to correct misinformation, telling me I am posting too much about HK. And then when I ask you to stick to the topic, there's more mud. I certainly consider this inappropriate.

Can someone tell me how to report this behavior?, or kindly report it for me. The mods should read this thread carefully and take to to see how the ruinous little game is operating - Thanks !

In edit: I have found the REPORT button, and so will begin to use it.

Last edited by Geologic; 02-14-2013 at 08:49 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
SCALEYBARK STATION

As for the Blue Line stations, I have to say that this one looks rather hostile to pedestrians

It doesn't look like much of a refuge to me - just a footprint.
This is easy enough to explain......

It hasn't been built yet.

Here are the adopted plans.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/p...an_Adopted.pdf

Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 AM

Thanks, FR.
I will work my way up the Train route from Scaleybark Park & Ride station

Studies show that Light Rail has already benefitted property values...

A University of North Carolina at Charlotte study last year showed that housing prices around light-rail stations closest to downtown have jumped more than 15 percent since light rail opened. Farther from downtown, housing values rose less or not at all.

Walter Broome, manager of Price's Chicken Coop, which has been selling fried chicken for 48 years just outside of downtown Charlotte, said: "At one time, this was the wrong side of the track. But people are coming back now. Real estate is at a premium."

source: http://hamptonroads.com/2011/08/char...nes-same-track

When Metro Jacksonville speaks of the market rate economic benefits of fixed rail in the urban core, we envision projects similar to this being constructed in long forgotten and economically distressed neighborhoods like New Springfield, Brentwood, Durkeeville, LaVilla and Brooklyn. Between 2005-2009, Charlotte witnessed 9.8 million square feet of new development built along the 9.6 Blue Line, representing a total of $1.8 billion in private development. That kind of economic development, which hasn't been seen in the Northside of Jacksonville in over 60 years is something we believe would be good for our community.

/see: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/art...s-later/page/1

Last edited by Geologic; 02-14-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM

Are you familiar with the Jacksonville Skyway? It's often cited as a colossal failure in regards to the construction of a transit system that serves no effective purpose. Even the federal agency that funded it, ended up concluding that its objectives could have been better met if they had simply bought everyone a taxi ride instead. Jacksonville has been unable to get a LRT funded because it is unable to pass the proper due diligence required for Federal New Starts funding.
housing prices around light-rail stations closest to downtown have jumped more than 15 percent since light rail opened
Indeed. Then prices dropped by 50%. Is the transit system responsible for that too? The point is that promises made for the building of transit lines rarely come true. This is the primary reason the Scaleybark Station has not been built yet. There is no demand.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 AM

New Bern (LYNX station) Area

The New Bern station is a light rail station on the LYNX Blue Line at the southern edge of the South End of Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A.. The station officially opened for service on Saturday, November 24, 2007.

Looking North from the New Bern Station / wiki

New Bern area condos
+ The Fountains at NBS (New Bern Station) : WS-60
+ 324 New Bern station Court
+ 412, 424, 448 New Bern station Court
+ 514, 524, 555 New Bern station
=====
I saw prices transacted, in the region of $150 per sf

564 NBS Ct.

Walkscore at Fountains is 60.

Last edited by Geologic; 02-14-2013 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed. Then prices dropped by 50%. Is the transit system responsible for that too? The point is that promises made for the building of transit lines rarely come true. This is the primary reason the Scaleybark Station has not been built yet. There is no demand.
The area looks desolate now - a No Man's Land

It could work, but to get to sufficient Mixed Use Density to make it work, would require a huge spend, and would be a big gamble.

New Bern Station looks lower risk, and until that takes off, and prices are much higher, I can see the delay continuing at Scaleybark - that would be my uninformed guess

BTW, what price are construction costs in Charlotte?
Maybe $100 per sf for construction of the quality of the NBS Condos - is that a good guess?

Here's some data that I could find:
National figures, 2011:
$184,125 / 2,311 = $79.67 per SF
/Link: http://www.nahb.org/generic.aspx?gen...ntentID=169974

Last edited by Geologic; 02-14-2013 at 09:27 AM..

Old 02-14-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
+ 324 New Bern station Court
I looked at the first condo on your list, 324 New Bern Station CT. Zillow estimates it at ~$157K so this confirms the $150/sq ft. figure you cite. However when the condo was new, it sold for $239,500. As a 3rd data point, last year's tax reapprasal placed the worth at ~$188K.

Therefore despite being next to a transit station, this condo has lost 34% of its initial value. This is a substantial loss and one, I'm sure, the unfortunate homeowner isn't happy about.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I looked at the first condo on your list, 324 New Bern Station CT. Zillow estimates it at ~$157K so this confirms the $150/sq ft. figure you cite. However when the condo was new, it sold for $239,500. As a 3rd data point, last year's tax reapprasal placed the worth at ~$188K.

Therefore despite being next to a transit station, this condo has lost 34% of its initial value. This is a substantial loss and one, I'm sure, the unfortunate homeowner isn't happy about.
Okay, FW.
But I am not surprised - that sort of drop showed up here too:

With Dilworth down from:
===
Aug. 2007 : $356,000
Aug. 2012 : $231,000
== that is:-$125,000 / -35.1%
Dec. 2012 : $236,000

How could New Bern avoid similar falls?
(A solvent New Bern condo owner can sell down, and move to Dilworth.)
I reckon there may now be some interesting bargains to be found, and that is one of the things attracting me to Charlotte.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:09 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,646,926 times
Quote:
You two, Frewroad and Feltdesigner, seem to be trying to ruin this thread.
You make a negative comment on HK, and I respond, and you sling mud at my response. How predictable and boring this little game is becoming. So I am going to have to ignore your off topic posts, since I do not know how to report this incongruous behaviour.

SCALEYBARK STATION

As for the Blue Line stations, I have to say that this one looks rather hostile to pedestrians

Here's the description given of the photo:
Just south of the South End District, Scaleybark Station is located in the median of South Boulevard. The station itself also serves as a median refuge for pedestrians and cyclist crossing the busy four lane arterial highway.
/source: LYNX Light Rail: Five Years Later | Metro Jacksonville

It doesn't look like much of a refuge to me - just a footprint.
I suppose it all depends on one's perspective !
I have to agree, it is hard to see a short term pathway from that tiny "refuge" to the huge Elements Mall.
No one is trying to ruin this thread... we are just requesting or refuting opinions that have little to do with Charlotte's Blue Line.

This station doesn't look that hostile to me however, I'm not sure how busy it is during rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte