Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Sigurdsson View Post

I vote for the candidate that has experience, education, and background needed to be successful. If I ever see a democrat that fits that category, I will have no problem voting for him/her if his/her heart is in the best interest of the city and not some personal agenda. In the meanwhile, I will sit back as an independent and vote for the person with those attributes disregarding party affiliation, race, or other unimportant factors. I am a supporter of employing most suitable person for the person regardless of the above characteristics. That makes me a firm supporter of EEO. Additionally, I oppose keeping minimally functional managers in positions just to maintain a status quo. In reality, that makes me the 'progressive.'
Not to get all up in it...

but it seems as though every time someone gets accused of being a Republican in here they huff and puff and deny, deny, deny.... call themselves everything but a Repub while spouting repub talking points with a hint of true conservatism and constitutionality.

Then they give an example of Republicans doing things right and Dems only doing things wrong followed by a promise to vote for a Dem IF one finally, ever, one day, ....somehow became worthy of their vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 10:39 AM

241 posts, read 304,099 times
[quote=Feltdesigner;29302480]Not to get all up in it...

but it seems as though every time someone gets accused of being a Republican in here they huff and puff and deny, deny, deny.... call themselves everything but a Repub while spouting repub talking points with a hint of true conservatism and constitutionality.

I don't "huff and puff. " I do deny as I am a registered independent. Understand so far? On most issues I lean towards libertarianism or conservatism but not in all issues. That is why we are "Independents." We can pick and choose.

Then they give an example of Republicans doing things right and Dems only doing things wrong followed by a promise to vote for a Dem IF one finally, ever, one day, ....somehow became worthy of their vote.

Now, this is idiotic and not perfectly clear. I think both parties consists of idiots. You can imagine anything you want if it makes you feel better.

I have no reason or desire to discuss parties. I will remain independent and pick and choose. You can sit back and blame the republicans for everything that upsets you (or you can still blame Bush if you want ).

Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Didn't the non-biased report that recommended an airport authority also indicate that model was flawed and needed more of a Charlotte influence. Nice try...but I gotcha. Clearly more Charlotte, not just Meck county.
The comment you originally made was rural counties. Not even a "nice try" on your part. Obviously Meck isn't rural. So the "gotcha" if there is one, applies to what you have stated. I simply posted the bill that will be voted on.

In regards to the city commissioned study, if you look back at what I said when this idea came, I said the city owned study was completely irrelevant in regards to what the state will do. I stand by that now too. The only thing the study did, is demonstrate how to waste $150,000 in the taxpayer's money. Of course this mayor has no concern for taxes being paid by the productive part of society.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I don't know about all that but it's obvious some people despise Foxx...
I see nothing wrong with despising a politician who does a bad job for the people. The worst thing a person can do is show blind support for a politician because of other factors beyond the job he has done such as political party, religious reasons, or skin color.

If you wish to debate Foxx's job performance then please do so, but his results don't seem to be the issue. Instead the "issue" comes when people call him out for his failures.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I see nothing wrong with despising a politician who does a bad job for the people. The worst thing a person can do is show blind support for a politician because of other factors beyond the job he has done such as political party, religious reasons, or skin color.

If you wish to debate Foxx's job performance then please do so, but his results don't seem to be the issue. Instead the "issue" comes when people call him out for his failures.
I'm not a blind supporter.. just observing a few posters who blame him for EVERYTHING. You would think this city was Detroit and some people actually believe it's headed that way.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Sigurdsson View Post
You can sit back and blame the republicans for everything that upsets you (or you can still blame Bush if you want ).
The same playbook.. always the same playbook...

Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm not a blind supporter.. just observing a few posters who blame him for EVERYTHING. You would think this city was Detroit and some people actually believe it's headed that way.
Until I see a lot of vacant, crumbling buildings uptown, rows and rows of vacant lots all over the city, a city going bankrupt, and finally, until I see mayor Foxx get indicted on corruption charges, I refuse to believe that Charlotte is headed towards becoming another Detroit! Back on topic, I see nothing good coming out of this state takeover of the airport! It is nothing more than a Republican power grab by a bunch of bumpkins from these rural areas of the state and some suburbanites who hate Charlotte and this is their way of sticking it to those big city slickers!

Last edited by prwfromnc; 04-26-2013 at 02:45 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 02:48 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The comment you originally made was rural counties. Not even a "nice try" on your part. Obviously Meck isn't rural. So the "gotcha" if there is one, applies to what you have stated. I simply posted the bill that will be voted on.

In regards to the city commissioned study, if you look back at what I said when this idea came, I said the city owned study was completely irrelevant in regards to what the state will do. I stand by that now too. The only thing the study did, is demonstrate how to waste $150,000 in the taxpayer's money. Of course this mayor has no concern for taxes being paid by the productive part of society.
Meaningless, the study has been completed and recommended that the model incorporate more Charlotte influence/partcipation. The state has little to no credibility about developing an impactful airport authority or what's in the best interest of CHARLOTTE, NC. The legislature would be wise to rethink and consider the outcome and recommendations of the study. The existing model is hackneyed and goobered-up to appease some people that really have no vested interested in the city. It's quite disturbing and has already generated an unnecessary riff amongst urban and suburban county leaders.

All because a few influential developers and contractors want to make sure they keep their share of deals once Orr retires. A new regime means competition and no way the good ole boy vanguard will accept such nonsense.

Again, I trust the judgment of the study commission who have much more experience and credibility addressing these matters. So should the legislature that has run amuck given it's new power...so much for the party that claims states should stand clear of local matters and the federal government should stand clear of state matters. A bunch of hogwash and hyprocritical hot air.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
....The existing model is hackneyed and goobered-up to appease some people that really have no vested interested in the city. ...It's quite disturbing and has already generated an unnecessary riff amongst urban and suburban county leaders..
The author of the bill, Bob Rucho, represents Mecklenburg Senate district 39. This district includes downtown Charlotte, high profile neighborhoods that are part of the inner city, and points all the way down to the SC Line. I don't know how you could get more vested in Charlotte than that. His district includes both urban & suburban voters. I'm sure what he has to gain by upsetting any of them. So this allegation, IMO, isn't true.

Quote:
Again, I trust the judgment of the study commission who have much more experience and credibility addressing these matters. ...
Indeed. They said there needs to be an authority. The only point of contention seems to be in who gets to pick the people on the board. Foxx wants to pick all of them. Well.... no surprises there. This is what they have now.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Now that an authority is in place, will Iredell, Gaston, Lincoln pay for future upgrades to airport and runways?

Also shouldnt Union and Cabarrus be on the authority? and York ?
I don't think Charlotte pays any tax money into the airport. It's primarily funded through landing fees on the airlines. New construction such as runways has been paid for through the federal government or borrowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte