Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:44 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
The airport is a regional asset - not just one that benefits Charlotte. This is about the City and Mecklenburg continuing the cherish the role of the "Great State of Mecklenburg." No one can demonstrate that having a regional authority, representing the Metrolina region, would have a negative effect on Charlotte.

This is not a democrat or republican issue - it's about common business sense for the region and the state. There is no down side except the Mayor and some members of the City Council have their knickers in a wad that they are losing some power. And, that Jerry Orr is not opposed to this move to set up a regional authority says enough. He's muzzled right now, but if he were to be asked straight forward, he would say set up the authority. Every county around her should have a voice. There is no city money that goes into the running of the airport. That's a good thing. Keep it in the hands of the Council and sooner or later there will be a grab for some of the revenue to fund things like the Foxx Folley street car and Panther Stadium.

I am not a fan of Senator Rucho, but I say -- drive on.
I think it is a republican issue because it's republicans writing the bill and the goal is to to wrest control from a democratically controlled city council.

I'm torn on this because I think the authority could probably do a better job and Orr supports it. City Council for the most part are bozos and what do they know about running an airport? BUT, the airport is in the city and has relied on the city for money.

CHARLOTTE issued bonds not the state. Is the state going to set up a regional authority to have multi-county bonds? I bet not. And if not will the council then thumb its nose at the suggestion that the city pay for future improvements.

I don't but the regional aspect that much because I haven't heard anybody complaining. Where were the hearings on this? Which other municipalities are complaining? Which ones have come forward to say they are willing to pay to play?

So to me since I'm not aware of the complaints look at this as something that is not broke so it should be fixed. That is about the worse move a government can make.

If the airport wants it so they can skip a city council meeting then fine. But for now it looks like a partition power grab.

I respect what you said and you're probably right. But that still doesn't excuse the fact that it looks like they are doing it because they can instead of they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,976,917 times
It's not a local municipal airport like Smith Reynolds, which is governed by Forsyth County. It's a true hub with lots of freight and connections. Plenty of Federal Grants helped the airport grow, it was not just Charlotte's investment.

I doubt Rucho thought this up on his own. I bet it's an idea that has been bubbling for a while, but the topic could not be brought up while senior Charlotte state legilslators like Martha Alexander and Dan Clodfelter could be called on to snuff it out.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:20 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,388,507 times
I hate the rural and suburban part of this state, to be honest.

Yes, like most things Charlotte has (panthers, Carowinds, uptown, light rail, jobs, bobcats, arena, convention center, etc) the airport is a benefit to the entire region. But It seems like no one wants to help pay for the Job incentives; panthers renovations, etc.

I bet the Present day GOP would have a cow if CLT tried to turn our municipal airport into an international airport and expanded our airport. What happened to less government?

The City of itself IS a major regional asset. I find it hard to believe Gaston, Cabaruss etc. would be anything close to what they are today without us...

Old 02-16-2013, 09:46 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
The airport is a regional asset - not just one that benefits Charlotte. This is about the City and Mecklenburg continuing the cherish the role of the "Great State of Mecklenburg." No one can demonstrate that having a regional authority, representing the Metrolina region, would have a negative effect on Charlotte.

This is not a democrat or republican issue - it's about common business sense for the region and the state. There is no down side except the Mayor and some members of the City Council have their knickers in a wad that they are losing some power. And, that Jerry Orr is not opposed to this move to set up a regional authority says enough. He's muzzled right now, but if he were to be asked straight forward, he would say set up the authority. Every county around her should have a voice. There is no city money that goes into the running of the airport. That's a good thing. Keep it in the hands of the Council and sooner or later there will be a grab for some of the revenue to fund things like the Foxx Folley street car and Panther Stadium.

I am not a fan of Senator Rucho, but I say -- drive on.
Should every county have a share of the property taxes generated by Huntersville or Davidson as well? I'm sure Gaston County wouldn't mind get their hands on some Union County's cash.

BTW, is McCrory's Light Rail a folly too?

Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,261,101 times
In the February 6 issue of the Charlotte Observer, a front page article compares an independent airport authority to another independent authority: Carolinas Healthcare System. Push for airport authority worries Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com

Also on the same front page is an article on compensation for top executives at Carolinas Healthcare System. At least 10 executives receive over $1,000,000. Compensation jumps for Charlotte's top hospital executives | CharlotteObserver.com

So Jerry Orr, whose current salary is a little over $200,000, supports an independent airport authority. Why wouldn't he?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:36 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Should every county have a share of the property taxes generated by Huntersville or Davidson as well? ....
I'm not sure what you mean by this. The residents of Huntersville, Davidson, for that matter all the towns, pay the Mecklenburg county property tax on real estate and personal property tax on vehicles. This tax mainly pays for the schools, and the department of social services, where with the latter, the vast bulk of the money goes to people in Charlotte. It also pays for the courts and jails where the vast majority of people locked up are from CLT and not the towns. The county tax by far is the the biggest portion of the property tax bill.

They also pay the transit tax which is turned over to CATS which is a city of Charlotte department. They also pay the defacto tax, aka storm water fee, via their CMUD bill.

IMO, the residents of these towns are already doing more than their fair share.

(The bloodsuckers at the Charlotte/Mecklenburg tax collector's office send me all kinds of bills looking to take some of my money here and there and everywhere else.)

Old 02-18-2013, 10:12 AM

24 posts, read 34,360 times
Mr Orr has his knickers in a wad because someone dared to question his authority. Having worked at the airport for 10+ years, nothing happens without his stamp of approval.

The security issue with the young man was all on him (see the previous sentence). If you saw the attempted TV interview after the investigation you saw him in denial mode. We've now just learned about accounting issues which could have cost taxpayers a chunk of money. Mr. Orr views himself as the KING of CLT and any questions or changes which negatively impact his power will of course be viewed as unsatisfactory.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:27 AM

24 posts, read 34,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I think it is a republican issue because it's republicans writing the bill and the goal is to to wrest control from a democratically controlled city council.

I'm torn on this because I think the authority could probably do a better job and Orr supports it. City Council for the most part are bozos and what do they know about running an airport? BUT, the airport is in the city and has relied on the city for money.
City Council set up an Airport Advisory Committee:
The Airport Advisory Committee (AAC) is charged by the Charlotte City Council to provide guidance on policy matters, long-range planning, neighborhood relations, noise programs, revenue generation, transportation needs and implementation of the Airport's Master Plan and Noise Compatibility Program.

The committee consists of 11 members: five from Mecklenburg County, two with aviation interests, two West Mecklenburg community residents and two representatives from the Charlotte Regional Partnership.

They now report to City Council, but essentially it is a rubber stamp situation. I'm really confused as at least 1 of the AAC has come out in favor of the change. I don't understand to whom those new people would report, but I do believe this is all a result of Jerry Orr's asking Rucho to do the new bill because someone dared to question a decision or policy for which he was responsible.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 AM

527 posts, read 919,211 times
Airport change needs study, Charlotte officials say | CharlotteObserver.com

This is turning out to be serious...

City officials including Foxx is going berserk on the prospect of Airport Authority.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times
From the Observer article it sounds as if this is a done deal unless Foxx can use his powers of personality and ability to stick to facts to convince the Mecklenburg delegation to listen to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte