Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 10:25 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That is not what I posted. I stated from the article that the GA has put brakes on the transfer due to 800 million bond.
If they transfer without handling the bond holders then the city will have that debt.

Yeah, my take on that is the city has issued borrowed $800M for the airport and now owes this to bond holders. (+ interest)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 04:15 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
So far, smooth sailing in Asheville....it's gonna become a much bigger mess in Charlotte.

In Asheville, airport deal had unintended consequences | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
As far as Gov. Pat goes, don't be surprised if the following is reported:

1) The gov has not heard much from either side but is willing to listen.

2) Pat wants the bill slowed down even more.

More on the bond issue from WBT: News-Talk 1110 WBT| News:

Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 PM

24 posts, read 34,360 times
Recent Observer coverage noted "But advocates for change say an authority would insulate the airport from politics. Developer Johnny Harris has warned against political intrusions for at least two years."
“We have our city being strangled over the issue of whether we have a streetcar or not and that’s … the beginning of where problems start,” said Harris, a former member of the Airport Advisory Committee as well as the board of USAirways. “It’s indicative of the city being paralyzed.”

Simple solution? Put Johnny Harris back on the AAC so he can tell Rucho to kill the bill.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Live from Raleigh: Senator Malcolm Graham is slamming NCGA over lack of transparency on the issue.

The "Alliance for a Better Charlotte" is getting promoted by Rucho. Earlier news from today here: Next round begins in fight for control of CLT airport - Charlotte Business Journal

Should have a vote soon. Place your bets.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missielgp View Post

Simple solution? Put Johnny Harris back on the AAC so he can tell Rucho to kill the bill.
You might want to read the passage you quoted again. It sounds to me like Harris is FOR the authority being created. He obviously doesn't like what Anthony Foxx and his band of cronies are doing to Charlotte.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM

I know this isn't the most exciting news but we "lost our airport" according to some as the authority bill passed.

Some interesting quotes:

"Asheville Dem NC Sen Martin Nesbitt, against airport authority, disses Jerry Orr as bitter "benevolent dictator"

"Sen. Clodfelter and Sen Blue citing the takings clause in opposition to SB 81"

And a News 14 reporter states that City Council will go ahead with its study to see if the authority is a good idea even though:

1) It's a done deal.

2) The cost is estimated to be between $30K and $150K.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:52 AM

I heard the study the city is going to conduct cost $250,000. It's utter stupidity to waste money like that when this will be a done deal long before the study has completed. This Mayor and city council must be totally oblivious to the need to be careful with the taxpayer's money. Basically the entire gist of pulling the airport away from their control is because of the shear incompetence, obfuscation and complete lack of transparency this body has shown over the last few years. They need to wake up and smell the coffee, or I predict, the state isn't done with them.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I heard the study the city is going to conduct cost $250,000. It's utter stupidity to waste money like that when this will be a done deal long before the study has completed. This Mayor and city council must be totally oblivious to the need to be careful with the taxpayer's money. Basically the entire gist of pulling the airport away from their control is because of the shear incompetence, obfuscation and complete lack of transparency this body has shown over the last few years. They need to wake up and smell the coffee, or I predict, the state isn't done with them.
The mayor and city council will be fine but if Orr & Co. think the new authority doesn't have ulterior motives, he's in for a rude awakening. Orr & Co. will be the first players to bite the dust (he can play it off as early retirement or simply time to move on), the state's legislature wrecking crew is gonna show the "great state of mecklenburg" how it's done. Afterall, people think there ain't nothing but a bunch of hog farmers down east anyway...well, hog farmers with money who can buy and develop land around the "great state of mecklenburgs" airport. The airport is functioning fine, many Charlotte GOP reps see the handwriting on the wall and know this is simply about power, land and money - doesn't the term "authority" kind of convey that idea. There isn't any real benefit to Charlotte to transition to an authority, other than Orr & Co. thinking it's way to backhand the bitterness between himself and the city council. Those other Charlotte GOP regional toads in cahoots with the GOP hog farmers are out of their league, thinking maybe the land grab is gonna be a big payday for them....not so fast my friend, the hog farmers might let a little revenue "trickle" down, but they RUN this state and dictate who gets what....wait till Orr gets a taste of that medicine.

Others are too busy basking in glory of the mayor and city council getting squeezed and don't have enough common sense to see what's really going on....or simply don't care as long as the mayor "gets" whats coming to him....the ignorance is abundant.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,515 times
City politics and using CLT as a piggy bank it what got the Authority idea going, and the mayor nepotism thoughts. The spending of the city bunch and the threat of increasing the cost of operation at the airport is a concern and I am happy to see it moving into the hands of the Authority.
Orr will do just fine w/ retirement with a $190k/yr pension...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte