Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
City politics and using CLT as a piggy bank it what got the Authority idea going, and the mayor nepotism thoughts. The spending of the city bunch and the threat of increasing the cost of operation at the airport is a concern and I am happy to see it moving into the hands of the Authority.
Orr will do just fine w/ retirement with a $190k/yr pension...
Nah, the idea has been around since McCrory was in office, just the timing is right (legislative composition) and any excuse for a power play (developers to make money). So McCrory spent less??? Built an arena that the people voted against? When did you get to Charlotte? yesterday?...Not sure why you've more confidence in people who could care less about Charlotte than people who live here....again, ignorance is abundant. If the authority were comprised of people who gave a damn about Charlotte, then cool, but the current model ain't it...watch what happens.

Orr is a pawn for the power brokers...good for him though, nothing like milking the establishment on the way out the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:39 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
....Afterall, people think there ain't nothing but a bunch of hog farmers down east anyway...well, hog farmers with money who can buy and develop land around the "great state of mecklenburgs" airport. The airport is functioning fine, many Charlotte GOP reps see the handwriting on the wall and know this is simply about power, land and money - doesn't the term "authority" kind of convey that idea. There isn't any real benefit to Charlotte to transition to an authority, other than Orr & Co. thinking it's way to backhand the bitterness between himself and the city council. Those other Charlotte GOP regional toads in cahoots with the GOP hog farmers are out of their league, .....
The hog farms in the East are corporate farms. The farmers you are speaking of, the ones with money, are tobacco farmers. This also isn't a bastion of GOPdom either. It's mostly what are called Jessiecrats. i.e. Democrats who will vote for Republicans. It's been this way for a very long time. IMO, most of them could care less about the Airport Authority. It's a mistake to assume that NC's political affiliations work the same at the state level as they do at the national level. The Jessiecrats aligned themselves against the GOP in 2008. Hence Perdue beat McCrory. In 2012, they shifted to the GOP and hence McCrory beat Dalton.

I do agree with you however that this seems to be, locally, a big power play between certain members of the Charlotte business community and the Mayor with certain members of the city council. Harris has tipped his hand on this. In terms of land developers, he & his family are probably the biggest in Mecklenburg county.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:45 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,428 times
What make me nervous about this deal is that state politicians will have appointments to the authority. I don't think governors like Easley are interested in doing what is right for Charlotte. I could see them trying to use the authortity to push for more eastern NC air service. The state has never treated Charlotte fairly with regards to roads, I hope I am wrong but, I am not sure they will treat Charlotte fairly with regards to the airport.

Having the surrounding counties in lived with the airport could promote more regional cooperation.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
The hog farms in the East are corporate farms. The farmers you are speaking of, the ones with money, are tobacco farmers. This also isn't a bastion of GOPdom either. It's mostly what are called Jessiecrats. i.e. Democrats who will vote for Republicans. It's been this way for a very long time. IMO, most of them could care less about the Airport Authority. It's a mistake to assume that NC's political affiliations work the same at the state level as they do at the national level. The Jessiecrats aligned themselves against the GOP in 2008. Hence Perdue beat McCrory. In 2012, they shifted to the GOP and hence McCrory beat Dalton.

I do agree with you however that this seems to be, locally, a big power play between certain members of the Charlotte business community and the Mayor with certain members of the city council. Harris has tipped his hand on this. In terms of land developers, he & his family are probably the biggest in Mecklenburg county.
Hog farmer is reference to a collective term for the down east pack (tobacco, etc). I understand the Jessicrat world, it's my home down there and to some, Charlotte might as well be in Georgia or Tennessee. And you're right, they could care less about the airport authority unless someone propositions or approaches them with an opportunity to reap some benefits (a faction of the Charlotte GOP regional fiefdom). Which is even more worrysome....the lack of attention or committment.

Locally, this is a colossal failure on both sides of the aisle that has spun into a finger pointing match and now the power brokers have stepped-in to settle the score...they always score. I'm not opposed to an airport authority, I don't think the current model provides enough local/regional influence....it might work out fine if there are honorable intentions to do whats best for Charlotte but the Jessicrats flow in the direction of the dollar bill.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Just as a note. The Airport Authority bill being voted on will also suck in the airports found in the surrounding counties. Obviously the counties in question do not care for it either. This makes this a more interesting dog and puppy show, since presumably here in W. NC, these counties are decidedly in the hands of the GOP.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 PM

WsocTV says the force behind the move to take city control away from the city of Charlotte is called the "Alliance For A Better Charlotte". It seems that it is being operated like a secret society.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:15 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
(he can play it off as early retirement or simply time to move on)
He's what 71? Don't think that's early but maybe earlier than he planned.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Today's update is the bill passed i the Senate on the third reading. There may have been a cross over vote but that's too dull for me to care.

WBT Radio reporter Chris Miller says there isn't anything set yet in the House and others have said expect more noise there.

Side note, Bill James declared after the vote yesterday that the authority took the airport from Charlotte. I don't know why he said that. Maybe he was quoting a news article.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
He's what 71? Don't think that's early but maybe earlier than he planned.
You're right, he's well over due for the schuffle board tour...he's obviously past his time and caught in the cranky-old-guy-stay-off-my-lawn-sonny mentality.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:26 AM

Well so much for the notion the Airport has been well run. It sounds as if it is so dysfunctional as to make a good reality tv show. Unfortunately, this is the kind of story the Observer should have run a couple of years ago. IMO, Jerry Orr should be "retired" by either the City Council or the Airport Authority.

In Fact, the City Council should have stepped in and retired all these officials. What an utter waste of the people's resources.

Emails show months of bitter bickering between airport, city officials | CharlotteObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte