Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Reputation: 1443

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Well so much for the notion the Airport has been well run. It sounds as if it is so dysfunctional as to make a good reality tv show. Unfortunately, this is the kind of story the Observer should have run a couple of years ago. IMO, Jerry Orr should be "retired" by either the City Council or the Airport Authority.

In Fact, the City Council should have stepped in and retired all these officials. What an utter waste of the people's resources.

Emails show months of bitter bickering between airport, city officials | CharlotteObserver.com
Wow. Would be nice to see the e-mails. I guess the PDF they were sent was too big to put on the internet.

Wonder if this article will make any difference in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:00 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Reputation: 1272
Probably not. It has apparently passed in the Senate. I think the next step is the Legislature. McCrory doesn't get to weigh in.

Anthony Foxx was on TV this evening to toss some scorn at the Alliance for Better Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Reputation: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Probably not. It has apparently passed in the Senate. I think the next step is the Legislature. McCrory doesn't get to weigh in.

Anthony Foxx was on TV this evening to toss some scorn at the Alliance for Better Charlotte.
I totally missed this from WSOC:

9 Investigates: Conservative group pushed for airport authority | www.wsoctv.com

"I take it very personally that we've got a city government that is beginning to operate like a third-world country,"

It's good that our local GOP state reps are taking lobbying from a group that won't disclose who they are or even have a website that I can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Salisbury,NC
16,759 posts, read 8,211,161 times
Reputation: 8537
The problem with an "Authority" will be high Salaries and Benefits for the top of the board. See the NYNJ Port Authority. Over paid bureaucrats and ridiculous fees to cross bridges and tunnels as well as highest landing fees at airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 05:36 PM
 
3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
.....

It's good that our local GOP state reps are taking lobbying from a group that won't disclose who they are or even have a website that I can find.
This group isn't exactly cut and dried right wing conservative. (at least not from a social stand point) In fact it was formed to combat the infamous "gang of 5" back in the 1990s after the Angels in America debacle. It was originally funded by Harris, NationsBank (aka BofA) and First Union (aka Wells). If you do some searches you can run across some other names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 06:39 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Reputation: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
This group isn't exactly cut and dried right wing conservative. (at least not from a social stand point) In fact it was formed to combat the infamous "gang of 5" back in the 1990s after the Angels in America debacle. It was originally funded by Harris, NationsBank (aka BofA) and First Union (aka Wells). If you do some searches you can run across some other names.
I might do that. I don't really care about their positions. They aren't the law makers and everyone has the right to petition the government. This is obviously a partisan issue. I don't know why or what really got the ball rolling on this. Maybe someone really thought this was for the best. Or maybe someone has a score to settle.

From my uneducated standpoint on state politics, I just think it at least looks like it is moving too fast and if there weren't local hearings I think there should have been. Is hat the status quo? I don't know.

It seems NCGA is taking a lot of balls from local governments. CLTCC cut out of the authority and MECKBOCC bypassed by the reval bill though the BOCC would likely say that's OK. It's just both bodies wanted to research and make recommendations but were told to sit back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM
 
3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I might do that. I don't really care about their positions. They aren't the law makers and everyone has the right to petition the government. This is obviously a partisan issue. I don't know why or what really got the ball rolling on this. Maybe someone really thought this was for the best. Or maybe someone has a score to settle.

From my uneducated standpoint on state politics, I just think it at least looks like it is moving too fast and if there weren't local hearings I think there should have been. Is hat the status quo? I don't know.

It seems NCGA is taking a lot of balls from local governments. CLTCC cut out of the authority and MECKBOCC bypassed by the reval bill though the BOCC would likely say that's OK. It's just both bodies wanted to research and make recommendations but were told to sit back down.
I agree. Although I think in the end a separate authority may be beneficial if constructed correctly, there seems to be a lot of jabs at Charlotte from the GA. A lot of the talk seems to be coming from the Matthews area in the form of Brawley and Rucho. I have to think that Bill James is somewhat involved in the movement to tear Charlotte apart as well. Again, if the authority is structured correctly, it may be good. But, I am not comfortable with governors picking folks for the authority. I never felt comfortable that Mike Easley did what was best for Charlotte. It seems like something as important as the airport should get more discussion than it has. Many have proposed a referendum for the $200m for the Panthers. Since the airport is an investment in the billions, it seems as though if spending $200m warrants a referendum, and investment in the billions should have public input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2013, 02:43 AM
 
3,914 posts, read 4,973,504 times
Reputation: 1272
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
.... But, I am not comfortable with governors picking folks for the authority. ....
No worries then. The governor only gets to pick one member of the 13 member authority.
  • One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the Governor of the State of North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 AM
 
3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
No worries then. The governor only gets to pick one member of the 13 member authority.
  • One shall be (i) a registered voter in the State of North Carolina, (ii) a resident of the County of Mecklenburg, and (iii) appointed by the Governor of the State of North Carolina.
1 is too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 PM
 
5,150 posts, read 7,763,152 times
Reputation: 1443
More from the Observer about the power struggle that apparently lead to this.

Spats over leadership preceded airport authority proposal | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top