Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 AM

12 posts, read 24,223 times

Advertisements

hello my name is Stephen Hastings and i am moving to Charlotte to become a police officer. Just a couple of questions.

1: Hows the competition
2: Is it worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 11:58 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,944 times
It depends on your education, skill sets (speak another language besides English), physical condition, background check, and other things a LEO could better describe. If you want to do it - my hat's off to your. It's a job I could not do because the first time some punk spit in my face, he would need a mouthful of new teeth and I.A. would be very unhappy with me. Having had the opportunity to do a lot of ride-alongs over the years, LEOs do not get the credit they deserve and people who obey the law should thank every LEO they see or meet.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
We have had a lot of folks move here from other areas to join our police force. I think that only strengthens the police force. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck!

Old 02-22-2013, 03:35 PM

52 posts, read 62,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenhastings91 View Post
hello my name is Stephen Hastings and i am moving to Charlotte to become a police officer. Just a couple of questions.

1: Hows the competition
2: Is it worth it.
1. If you are an african american than you will get accepted easily, even if you had a revoked license in another state or you had a history of domestic violence.

2. No.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM

624 posts, read 2,108,647 times
I don't agree with Styrofoam's descriptions so I'll counter with facts / support and references where you can at least gather more information for yourself:

1: There's always going to be competition for any public position. There are numerous rounds of testing and scoring based on the Civil Service test. Then even when through the initial acceptance, you'll need to complete additional training depending on your current experience / background. That being said, if it is similar to the selection process for Firefighting in other cities, than recruitment is based largely off of how you score on your civil services exam which can give special point bonuses, but I don't know that process well enough to speak towards it, nor do I know your background.

2: Pay is standardized for the most part or at least fairly easy to determine what your base salary would be. Link to CMPD site - Employee Benefits

Quote:
New hires will start at the rate of $40,674. Any adjustments for educational or bi-lingual incentives will take effect upon completion of the Academy or after the 14-week Police Training Officer period has ended.
Becoming a police officer shouldn't be only about pay. I use to work in EMS for a number of years and we'd always get people stopping by the station wanting to ride in ambulances or thinking that it was a good job because we were in college and getting paid some nights to sleep was really a convenient way to make money. Those people didn't last long. The people also wanting to pad their med school applications also were awful. All I'm saying is ask if this is really the life you want to get into and understand that most of the job is really boring. The question 'Is it worth it?' cannot be answered with just a dollar figure, it's a personal question that can only be truly answered by you.

My honest advice would be to take advantage of the direct email to CMPD that goes to their recruiting staff - cmpd_recruitment@cmpd.org (Yes, this is like talking to an Army recruiter so use it as one source of information)

I can't imagine this would be a quick process. So I'm a little concerned with the headline that you're moving to Charlotte to be a Police Officer. Is this your soul motivation? Do you have family in the area or a support system while you go through the application process?

Mr. EMT

Last edited by MysteryMT; 02-22-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 07:54 AM

12 posts, read 24,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I don't agree with Styrofoam's descriptions so I'll counter with facts / support and references where you can at least gather more information for yourself:

1: There's always going to be competition for any public position. There are numerous rounds of testing and scoring based on the Civil Service test. Then even when through the initial acceptance, you'll need to complete additional training depending on your current experience / background. That being said, if it is similar to the selection process for Firefighting in other cities, than recruitment is based largely off of how you score on your civil services exam which can give special point bonuses, but I don't know that process well enough to speak towards it, nor do I know your background.

2: Pay is standardized for the most part or at least fairly easy to determine what your base salary would be. Link to CMPD site - Employee Benefits

Becoming a police officer shouldn't be only about pay. I use to work in EMS for a number of years and we'd always get people stopping by the station wanting to ride in ambulances or thinking that it was a good job because we were in college and getting paid some nights to sleep was really a convenient way to make money. Those people didn't last long. The people also wanting to pad their med school applications also were awful. All I'm saying is ask if this is really the life you want to get into and understand that most of the job is really boring. The question 'Is it worth it?' cannot be answered with just a dollar figure, it's a personal question that can only be truly answered by you.

My honest advice would be to take advantage of the direct email to CMPD that goes to their recruiting staff - cmpd_recruitment@cmpd.org (Yes, this is like talking to an Army recruiter so use it as one source of information)

I can't imagine this would be a quick process. So I'm a little concerned with the headline that you're moving to Charlotte to be a Police Officer. Is this your soul motivation? Do you have family in the area or a support system while you go through the application process?

Mr. EMT

That is my Soul motivation no I don't have family there. I already have an apartment. Is it fairly easy to find a part time job down there while I'm going through the process.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
You should also consider that Gastonia is always taking applications. Pay isn't that great so a lot of people use it to get experience. http://www.cityofgastonia.com/_pdffi...-Certified.pdf

Bessemer City is a small town NW of Gastonia. They are dropping county coverage & forming a police department. They are hiring now. The Official Web Site of Bessemer City, North Carolina The pay probably won't be very good at all, but again it's experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte