Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,751,543 times

Advertisements

You may have to do things differently here, as far as advertising and networking with other retailers and suppliers in order to get a foothold in the business . . . but I would think this would be a very feasible business (especially with your experience and background).

I would suggest the Lake Norman area, where there are newcomers who would be interested in your services. Network with caterers, rental companies, florists, musicians, photographers, bridal and formalwear retailers, etc - all over the metro area. Create a nice brochure and business cards and hand them out! Talk to managers at every country club in the region as this is where the "old money" and Southerners hold their parties and receptions. That is why there are no "halls" in the region such as one sees in the NE . . . we have never had need for such venues. The people with money belong to country clubs and many folks typically have used their church's large meeting spaces (and this would still mean party planning services -- as these people might employ planners as well).

People come from other areas to shop in Charlotte, so form alliances with those retailers and services that are used by folks not only in Lake Norman area, but throughout the region. It is not a huge deal to hold a party in Statesville or Denver or Hickory as opposed to Charlotte. So make your base where the newcomers are (and in my opninion - that is either Lake Norman area or Union County) and then be willing to go "wherever."

You can make it happen! Bring your ideas and your energy and be willing to put in several years building your business and I believe you can have a successful, growing business. Best wishes and . . . come on down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 232,051 times
Where is the HUG button when you need one <g>

THANK YOU for the reply posts and well wishes. I am excited to start over and find our new HOME in NC, as well as try and continue doing what I love to do! I have already reached out to a couple of businesses (DJs - etc) and they were also quite encouraging.

I have put some pictures of some of my work on my profile photo (just in case anyone was confused about what kind of work that I said I did) as I did not want to put my business name or website on the actual posts....I (literally) have my work cut out for me - but it is a challenge I am excited to take on!!!

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! This forum has been AMAZING and so helpful to my husband and I - I am sure I will be posting other questions in the near future - especially when the house-hunting begins!! ~Kathy

Old 02-25-2013, 09:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,229,316 times
I'm not usually a naysayer when it comes to entrepreneurs and job seekers, but I have to give my honest opinion about this type of business in Charlotte (or anywhere in the South):

Old 02-25-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I'm not usually a naysayer when it comes to entrepreneurs and job seekers, but I have to give my honest opinion about this type of business in Charlotte (or anywhere in the South):
Why, may I ask? I am a native and I think for this particular lady, she will make a success of it.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,229,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Why, may I ask? I am a native and I think for this particular lady, she will make a success of it.
Isn't that ironic? You are normally more pessimistic about job opportunities in Charlotte than I am! I don't think it'll work because there is less money in the South in general and one of the first things to get cut are extravagant celebrations

Old 02-25-2013, 11:37 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,873,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You may have to do things differently here, as far as advertising and networking with other retailers and suppliers in order to get a foothold in the business . . . but I would think this would be a very feasible business (especially with your experience and background).

I would suggest the Lake Norman area, where there are newcomers who would be interested in your services. Network with caterers, rental companies, florists, musicians, photographers, bridal and formalwear retailers, etc - all over the metro area. Create a nice brochure and business cards and hand them out! Talk to managers at every country club in the region as this is where the "old money" and Southerners hold their parties and receptions. That is why there are no "halls" in the region such as one sees in the NE . . . we have never had need for such venues. The people with money belong to country clubs and many folks typically have used their church's large meeting spaces (and this would still mean party planning services -- as these people might employ planners as well).

People come from other areas to shop in Charlotte, so form alliances with those retailers and services that are used by folks not only in Lake Norman area, but throughout the region. It is not a huge deal to hold a party in Statesville or Denver or Hickory as opposed to Charlotte. So make your base where the newcomers are (and in my opninion - that is either Lake Norman area or Union County) and then be willing to go "wherever."

You can make it happen! Bring your ideas and your energy and be willing to put in several years building your business and I believe you can have a successful, growing business. Best wishes and . . . come on down!
Great suggestions, Ani. I'd also say to look at conference centers all over the area. I know that the conference center in Gastonia holds all kinds of events, including business conferences. Those could be a backdoor entre. Those would be small jobs, but the people have private lives. . .

I know some restaurants will rent out facilities out here, so I assume that that would hold true elsewhere in the area. I know that out here there's a VFW hall & another hall that rent out, but I wouldn't come this far out, at this time, trolling for hall business. The economy is still too bad. However, one restaurant is owned by a man who also owns several buildings in downtown & he's turning one storefront into a banquet facility.

ETA: The conference center in Gastonia has 2 planners. Their website also lists an assortment of events that they hold, including family reunions. http://www.gastoniaconferencecenter.com/

Last edited by southbound_295; 02-25-2013 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 02:01 PM

20 posts, read 24,077 times
Save your moneyunless u just have money to burn..lol

Old 02-25-2013, 03:07 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 232,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knew2clt View Post
Save your moneyunless u just have money to burn..lol

I was more concerned about losing money and failing when I FIRST started my business years ago - but I did it slowly, and luckily I had success from pretty early on. I am not willing to just give up and NOT try - I think I owe it to myself to give it the best chance I can. And from the positive feedback I have gotten so far, it has made me excited to give it try! I am not on any kind of time frame/schedule to get things going....I am being realistic about it. I will get the shipping end of my business going again once we move, and then start networking, get some brochures out there - etc. I think I am more stressed about figuring out how to find my way around the different areas - LOL!!!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Isn't that ironic? You are normally more pessimistic about job opportunities in Charlotte than I am! I don't think it'll work because there is less money in the South in general and one of the first things to get cut are extravagant celebrations
I was very surprised as well!!!

I do agree with you that Southerners tend to have their own very formulated ways of "getting together" and money spent at celebrations tends to focus on the food rather than other extras like decorating with a "theme."

My thought is based on newcomers more than natives as I personally know many folks who have moved here in the last decade and they do throw parties that are very different in scope than what is typical for this region. They also do theme parties and they have big bashes for celebrations that Southerners either don't recognize or don't make into a big event.

I also think there could be a corporate tie in as some businesses would hire a planner to put together any big events or seasonal celebrations, often with contracting done thru/ the marketing department.

Maybe I am too optimistic but the OP seems realistic and she is trying to get a feel for what she would be up against with starting a business here. I truly believe that people with vision and passion will always find their market. It may take a while and it certainly will take dedication - but I think there is a market for her skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte