Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:26 AM

8 posts, read 7,867 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I'm Paul I'm going to be 26 in May and live in upstate NY. Two of my friends and myself are going to be moving to NC in late Aug. of this year. I love NC but I do fully understand that we need to start looking for places in NC right now.

I have my four year degree in Business & Technology Management. I am overall looking for a place with low crime rate, a great job market on the scale of (45,000 - 80,000 per year), I would like to be by the water (but I know that isnt entirely possible) and would also like a kind of in the middle age group (20's - 40's).

So my question is, what towns and or cities should I be looking at the most, and what ones should i avoid the most??

The big thing though for me is the crime the lower the much better.

Please any feedback on stories, on where you all think I should get information on and check out myself would help me out in such a great way.

- Paul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM

328 posts, read 616,087 times
Mooresville/Cornelius is near the water (Lake Norman), particularly low crime compared to other cities, and offers you access to CLT, where it seems like your employment opportunities would be located.

Last edited by eastcoast127; 02-26-2013 at 08:33 AM..

Old 02-26-2013, 09:55 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,361 times
Do you have a job lined up already? That should be your #1 priority. Lowe's has it's HQ here in Mooresville, check with them.

Mooresville, Davidson/Cornelius & Huntersville are all good areas to look for homes. With 3 of you moving here together, I'm guessing you'd be looking to rent rather than buy? Based on your price range, there's several rental communities in the area as well as townhomes & subdivisions with rentals in them. Most have amenities, like a communty pool.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 11,417 times
If you want to live near water north of Charlotte you will hate yourself when you are stuck in traffic every morning driving to Charlotte (assuming that is where you find a job). The lake Wylie area south of Charlotte could be the same but they dont talk about how long it takes you to drive 10 miles on the radio from there every morning and night. West and East Charlotte have higher crime, north Charlotte in my opinion is newer with more houses that look exactly the same and dont have any trees in their yards. South Charlotte is the most desirable (again, my opinion) but it could be more expensive depending on where you go. It is more like the NY suburbs you are probably used to.

You can use this website to look at crime in different areas. I used this when moving from Albany, I was looking for an area where I wouldnt come home from work and find police tape and blood on the street, that brought me to the south- southeast charlotte area.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Definitely look into Huntersville and Mooresville.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:31 PM

To the OP: I'm sure there's a job here somewhere for you. By your degree, I'd look in Ballantyne. There are thousands of people (qualified and not qualified) that are looking for jobs, but the economy here is recovering.

The 10 Best Cities For Job Seekers - Forbes

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 03-02-2013 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: orphan: the referring post was deleted

Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times
The Forbes article linked above is a bit of nonsense. Number two on the list is Washington, DC with a 10.2% unemployment rate?

The Charlotte area unemployment rate according to that article is 9.2%.And that only counts people who are still collecting unemployment benefits.

OP: Do you have enough savings to not have an income for six months or a year?

Old 03-02-2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
The Forbes article linked above is a bit of nonsense. Number two on the list is Washington, DC with a 10.2% unemployment rate?

The Charlotte area unemployment rate according to that article is 9.2%.And that only counts people who are still collecting unemployment benefits.

OP: Do you have enough savings to not have an income for six months or a year?
Forbes is the most reliable website in terms of these lists and the cities listed actually make sense. A city's high unemployment rate doesn't mean there are not jobs or else Washington or Charlotte wouldn't be listed. I'm not saying there's tons and tons of jobs waiting to be filled, but high unemployment numbers do not mean someone looking for a job will not find one.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:13 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxRosie View Post
Do you have a job lined up already? That should be your #1 priority. Lowe's has it's HQ here in Mooresville, check with them.
Lowe's is laying off even more people right now than they did last year. They're just doing it in smaller batches to avoid the headlines.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,616 times
could you really make $80k a year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte