Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 05:07 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I've been planning a move to North Carolina for a few years now, and suddenly the opportunity has presented itself. Unfortunately for me I focused too much on the Triangle area, and not enough further west. The job offer on the table is near Salisbury. I need to learn as much about the area in as little time as possible, so I'll be searching while looking for personalized information here.

My wife and I are originally from Wilkes-Barre, Pa. We moved to Arizona 7 years ago and now we desire a place that is greener, closer to family and has 4 seasons. We are in our early 30's, no kids. We keep to ourselves and desire something rural. We enjoy taking out the jeep, fishing and other outdoor activities. We strongly prefer a neighborhood where crime is low, but understand crime is everywhere. What areas do you suggest for us?

we will be renting for at least a year, preferable in a house. We currently live in an apartment and have a German Shepherd, i sincerely miss my back yard! But I would consider the right apartment complex. any suggestions on local rental searches?

My wife is an operating room registered nurse with only about 7 months of experience. Unfortunately the timing of this is terrible for her. Nursing jobs aren't that easy to come by anymore, especially starting out in a specialty. I would appreciate any links, references, recruiters or other advice that can help her find a job in the region.

Do you know of an accurate cost of living calculator? I've tried 3 with widely varied results.

Is a commute under an hour to charlotte, high point or winston-salem possible?

areas or towns I should certainly avoid?

any other advice or things i'm overlooking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:30 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times
I am not that familiar with Salisbury, but I can share what I know. It has three exits off of I85. It is a rural area. There are a lot of hunters around there. My husband was a DM for Tractor Supply and is now a DM for Southern States and they both have stores there. From i85 North, there are several little towns. Mocksville and Advance are two that I know of. Very quaint little towns, but rural with nice homes, and a lot of newer ones. My uncle lives in Advance and has for 30 years. He has a nice brick home in a nice neighborhood in a rural area. He has 1/2 acre I think. Advance is about half way between Salisbury and Winston Salem. So, I am going to guess that it is roughly about an hour from I85 in Salisbury to Winston Salem, at least the area that I am familiar with. There is a very big hospital in Winston Salem called Forsythe Medical Center. It is huge! I know because I got lost in there trying to get to the emergency room to find my uncle. They are also building a smaller hospital or something similar nearer Advance. I'm sorry, I don't remember the route numbers. I think 108 is one of them. The Salisbury exits have about any restaurant that you would like. There is some shopping, there is a Kohls. I'm not sure where the closest mall would be. I'm sure Winston Salem has a lot to offer, I'm just not familiar. My uncle owned a boat when he was younger and liked to fish, so I'm sure there are lakes close by. I know there is a nice park(not for boating or fishing) called Dan Nicholas park that has peddle boats, miniature golf, petting zoo, and gem mining. It's a fun day thing. If you are looking for green, four seasons and rural, this would fit what you are looking for.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:30 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM

58 posts, read 127,531 times
Rowan Regional Medical Center is the hospital in Salisbury. It's owned by Novant. Rather busy hospital, but a good one. Salisburys population is about 27,000. There Are several historical neighborhoods that are well maintained. A full time symphony, the city owns its own fiber optic cable TV service, a very responsive city council that seems to have shaken it's "good ole boy" habits, a police dept that hasn't. There are a couple of large man made lakes. The schools are pretty good, but I do t have kids attending them, so my opinion doesnt mean much. Several private schools. The restaurants off of 85 are mostly fast food, but many charming locally owned restaurants in town. Panera Bread just broke ground. Belk is opening a new store here (after they close the one at the mall). Yes, there is a mall, not real popular and hasn't fared well in the recession. Food Lion's corporate office is here as well as Cheerwine's corp office.
Most of the population grew up here and has lived here all their life and can be "some what" hard to get to know. A daily newspaper that is pretty good considering the economy. You would be almost 2 hours from Ashville, and over 3 hours from the beach. Many of my neighbors commute to Charlotte (50 min on a good day).
I hope that has helped! We live in Salisbury and haven't regretted moving to this "small town", we are from Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM

930 posts, read 2,160,437 times
Just something to consider. There is major construction going on between Salisbury and Charlotte on I85. I wouldn't even consider doing this commute. The last time I had to take care of my uncle (two weeks ago) what should have been an hour and 40 minutes drive for me to get home was 2 hours and 20 minutes and this was not rush hour traffic. I hate I85, it's always congested.

Isn't the exit that has Outback considered Salisbury, or am I mistaken? I thought that it was. That was where the restaurants are that I am talking about.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Yes, there Outback, and Ocharley's and Applebees, and Olive Garden two exits down.
Downtown a restaurant that I love is Sweet Meadow Cafe and for romantic nights try La Cava.
I found this for home rentals, I wish there was more available but you probably find a home for rent that not in subdivision, older home with a big yard.
The Salisbury Post | Salisbury, North Carolina

Salisbury is in middle of cities you listed with 40-50 minute commute to all. Charlotte will be cap shoot due to construction and if you head out during commute hours you will expect traffic delays.
High Point Winston traffic isnt a issue. There constuction north of Spencer but since they had the new lanes I never ran into delays except people doing the speed limit in construction zone where the lane shifts but 2 miles ahead it breaks up when the speed limit goes to 70 and 3 lanes.

Also she could try Lexington Medical or Thomasville and there another hospital in Winston called Baptist they own the Lexington hospital too.

Salisbury is quiet town with minor crime, lets it put this way even though in hind sight probably was a bad idea but this past weekend I was in the area and left my car unlocked because I wanted to jump in as fast as I could in the rain. I always feel safe there.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 AM

328 posts, read 615,954 times
I've used cost of living calculator through cnn money and have found it to be relatively accurate regarding a move from DC to NC (though it may be on the conservative side, which is good): Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Salisbury has a really pleasant downtown and is nicely located between the Traid and the CLT region. Check out Waterworks Visual Art Center in downtown - it's a real gem and an asset to a smaller town like Salisbury. I'm sure there are more unique shops/galleries like that if you do a little digging.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebalogas View Post
Just something to consider. There is major construction going on between Salisbury and Charlotte on I85. I wouldn't even consider doing this commute. The last time I had to take care of my uncle (two weeks ago) what should have been an hour and 40 minutes drive for me to get home was 2 hours and 20 minutes and this was not rush hour traffic. I hate I85, it's always congested.

Isn't the exit that has Outback considered Salisbury, or am I mistaken? I thought that it was. That was where the restaurants are that I am talking about.
Thank you for this, this is the type of up to date local info that is difficult to find from a distance. Does anyone know how much longer the construction is scheduled for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yes, there Outback, and Ocharley's and Applebees, and Olive Garden two exits down.
Downtown a restaurant that I love is Sweet Meadow Cafe and for romantic nights try La Cava.
I found this for home rentals, I wish there was more available but you probably find a home for rent that not in subdivision, older home with a big yard.
The Salisbury Post | Salisbury, North Carolina

Salisbury is in middle of cities you listed with 40-50 minute commute to all. Charlotte will be cap shoot due to construction and if you head out during commute hours you will expect traffic delays.
High Point Winston traffic isnt a issue. There constuction north of Spencer but since they had the new lanes I never ran into delays except people doing the speed limit in construction zone where the lane shifts but 2 miles ahead it breaks up when the speed limit goes to 70 and 3 lanes.

Also she could try Lexington Medical or Thomasville and there another hospital in Winston called Baptist they own the Lexington hospital too.

Salisbury is quiet town with minor crime, lets it put this way even though in hind sight probably was a bad idea but this past weekend I was in the area and left my car unlocked because I wanted to jump in as fast as I could in the rain. I always feel safe there.
Salisbury sounds wonderful! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
I've used cost of living calculator through cnn money and have found it to be relatively accurate regarding a move from DC to NC (though it may be on the conservative side, which is good): Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

Salisbury has a really pleasant downtown and is nicely located between the Traid and the CLT region. Check out Waterworks Visual Art Center in downtown - it's a real gem and an asset to a smaller town like Salisbury. I'm sure there are more unique shops/galleries like that if you do a little digging.
Thanks, it looks like the COL is a little lower by selecting Charlotte, a definite bonus! From the rental properties I'm finding near Salisbury the cost of living will be even lower there. Fantastic news.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:45 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
The construction on I85 is expected to be completed sometime mid 2014 (I think they said July).

Old 03-05-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The construction on I85 is expected to be completed sometime mid 2014 (I think they said July).
ACK! thanks for the information!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte