Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 03:50 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,826 times

Advertisements

We moved to Charlotte about 7 weeks ago. We love it. Any surprises we've had have been pleasant ones, including this site. I joined a few days ago and have learned more here in that short time than in our "whole lives" in Charlottte" While on this site, we have found a Dentist, a Pediatrician, a Vet, and an Orthodontist. Thank You.
My only unpleasant surprise???? Grocery prices... What's up? Why are they so high? I initally thought they were getting more in Ballantyne, because they could.... so I went to Union Co to shop and found the prices the same. Any suggestions on how to get the best prices for my groceries.? I'll start cutting coupons once I get into my house, but would do that anyway. I'm paying about 20-30% more than I was used to paying in Md. and was paying just about the highest prices in that state when I was there. What will be, will be, but if there is a way to save a lil, I would love to hear about it......Thank You....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 05:37 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times
Its tough. Generally, if you want the best prices, you might have to go to two different stores a week. Some will think that's crazy, but I do that in order to save money. I also clip coupons out of the sunday paper and print them off websites. Also, using my credit card I get 5% off groceries which really helps.

However, I will not get certain products at the various supermarkets (ie Meats at Food Lion are nasty).

Once you get the hang of it and in a routine, it gets better.....

Old 10-25-2007, 05:42 AM

693 posts, read 2,176,826 times
I have a theory on this, don't shoot me if I am wrong, it's a theory. I have lived my whole life on the East Coast, sometimes the northeast other times the far south , both places it occurred to me that some of the food originated locally while others are trucked in. I think only a small percentage of NC grocery stock is locally produced and grown.

I think because food travels to NC from both directions (it comes in from both North and South) by truck, the cost is passed on to consumers. If you think about it, this would be especially true for fruits and veggies, most of which arrives in harbors and shipping docs like Port of Miami. Many of us are used to Chilean fruits and veggies in winter, those tend to arrive in Miami and New York by boat, and then get distributed by truck. I think when the prices are high for groceries, its because of truck fuel and labor.

As far as saving money, it helps to buy produce from local growers at farmer's markets and farm stands.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:24 AM

Then why is "Tyson Boneless Breasts" approx 2.99/lb here and its regularly 1.99/lb in shop-rite back in NJ?

I see tyson chicken farms all over the place locally in NC.

Am I off base on this? Not trying to be rude, just giving an example.

I failed to mention that I try to by local fruits and veggies as much as possible. Problem is, most now (ie tomatoes, corn) are not grown locally now because of the growing season.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:25 AM

578 posts, read 2,599,377 times
I'd really like to know why milk is sooooo expensive. $4 a gallon? Are there no cows in NC?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
local prodcuts
Goodness Grows General Store

Old 10-25-2007, 06:36 AM

40 posts, read 148,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
I'd really like to know why milk is sooooo expensive. $4 a gallon? Are there no cows in NC?
I just googled your question (because I was wondering the same thing)....I found some very interesting facts about milk in NC but back to your questions:

There were 375 commercial dairy farms in North Carolina as of Jan. 1, 2004.

So I would think there would be plenty of supply of milk here in NC.

The grocery stores charge so much because we as consumers will pay it.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:37 AM

693 posts, read 2,176,826 times
CouponJack, I have no idea...I didn't say it was a perfect theory. :-) Was the bag packaged and distributed in NC too? National companies don't always do the the rational thing and keep the food local.... the NC chickens may be going to Florida or even California for that matter... yours might be coming from Maine :-)

Also I think its important to keep in mind that grocery prices are going up all over the country due to inflation. I moved to NJ 19 month ago and thought groceries were terribly expensive compared to Florida. They have gone up a ton since. Then I spent a couple of weeks in San Francisco --- after that I will never complain about grocery prices again --- I have never seen anything more expensive than CA. The national average cost for a gallon of milk is up dollars not cents, almost $5 . I promise you we don't get away with too much $1.99 chicken anymore (I use Shoprite, too)

Old 10-25-2007, 06:39 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Its tough. Generally, if you want the best prices, you might have to go to two different stores a week. Some will think that's crazy, but I do that in order to save money. I also clip coupons out of the sunday paper and print them off websites. Also, using my credit card I get 5% off groceries which really helps.

However, I will not get certain products at the various supermarkets (ie Meats at Food Lion are nasty).

Once you get the hang of it and in a routine, it gets better.....
Thanks, I did that in Md. We had 3 lg. stores within a few miles of each other. I watched the ads and would shop accordingly. Just sems that when I do the same here, I'll still be paying quite a bit more than I was used to paying. It seems like Mr. Teeter has figured out the best way to make a profit. He overprices just about every item he sells. If we are willing to pay that price, great. If we want to pay less, we can choose his brand and he will see his largest profit that way. Very smart. Can't blame a guy for knowing how to make a buck, I'm just hoping I have choices.
Oh well, gas and wine is cheaper and homes are less. I'll count my blessings.....
It almost makes sense to eat out each night. (Just trying that line out on the group before I spring it on hubby )

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
. I promise you we don't get away with too much $1.99 chicken anymore (I use Shoprite, too)

Those prices I quoted were "sale" prices for family packs....

your prob right......interesting topic though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte