Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 PM

4 posts, read 24,134 times

Advertisements

What are some neighborhoods/areas close to the airport that have great schools, are safe, and reasonably affordable compared to surrounding areas? What would be the best direction, commute wise, for the airport? I have a feeling coming south would be best...?

Due to limited land, there are bad trailer parks next to million dollar estates where I live now. I know every place has bad areas, but I would like to live in a neighborhood that has a good degree of separation from areas with higher crime or bad schools.

My salary has been in the high 80's to low 90's, but my base bone salary is in the mid 70's. I also don't want to consider my SO earning's into the equations. With that in mind, what areas would that salary provide a conformable living in respect to house affordability.

From my research, Fort Mills, seems to be hitting all my criteria, but am I missing other options (especially ones closer to the airport).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshoe View Post
What are some neighborhoods/areas close to the airport that have great schools, are safe, and reasonably affordable compared to surrounding areas? What would be the best direction, commute wise, for the airport? I have a feeling coming south would be best...?

Due to limited land, there are bad trailer parks next to million dollar estates where I live now. I know every place has bad areas, but I would like to live in a neighborhood that has a good degree of separation from areas with higher crime or bad schools.

My salary has been in the high 80's to low 90's, but my base bone salary is in the mid 70's. I also don't want to consider my SO earning's into the equations. With that in mind, what areas would that salary provide a conformable living in respect to house affordability.

From my research, Fort Mills, seems to be hitting all my criteria, but I'm I missing other options (especially ones closer to the airport).

Thanks!
Belmont in Gaston County is closer than Ft Mill.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Belmont in Gaston County is closer than Ft Mill.
I was considering Belmont, but I saw a few posts cation about areas west of Charlotte. I was not sure if Belmont was within that reach. Someone referred to Gastonia as gang-stonia, which also made me start to disclude Belmont because of the close proximity.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
I was considering Belmont, but I saw a few posts cation about areas west of Charlotte. I was not sure if Belmont was within that reach. Someone referred to Gastonia as gang-stonia, which also made me start to disclude Belmont because of the close proximity.
I live west of Charlotte in Kings Mountain. I'm a transplant. There are a lot of posts buried in the archives about the areas west of Charlotte that are nasty, in my opinion . Gastonia has a bad section. Big deal. There's nothing wrong with Belmont.

I'd look in Cramerton & Belmont for homes zoned to Cramerton Middle School. Those students will probably be going to Stephen Cramer HS when it opens. Also, if you live in Gaston County your kids can apply to Highland School of Technology for high school which is a magnet school & in a multi-school tie for 1st place in the NC high school rankings.

North Carolina State High Schools - NC School Rankings

Oh, & the best commute into Charlotte is coming from the west.

Last edited by southbound_295; 03-16-2013 at 09:13 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times
Nothing wrong with Belmont, Mount Holly, Lowell, Cramerton..there are several options west of Charlotte. Don't let a "few" posts disuade you.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,218,555 times
I think the problem is more about West Charlotte, than areas west OF Charlotte.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:08 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
As soon as you cross the river the problems of W. CLT go away.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:09 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,799 times
"OF" is a Big word when saying West Charlotte versus West "OF" Charlotte. Belmont is West OF Charlotte and is fine. It is a cute little town, with quite a bit of community envolvement. You will find grand old homes, old small mill homes (when the textile industry was in the Carolina's), and some new development.

It would be a good commute to the airport, I don't really know about the schools so I won't comment on that. The only downside that I could think of would be the taxes are a little higher.

Do not rule Fort Mill/Tega Cay out either. While the commute would be a little farther it is still an easy one and one that many do around here. Schools are really good, and many seem to be drawn to the lower taxes.

Your best bet is to come see...who knows you may not like either area. In regard to your salary I think you will do fine as long as you don't buy a mansion, and/or have 20 kids.

Good Luck to you!

Quote:

From my research, Fort Mills, seems to be hitting all my criteria, but am I missing other options (especially ones closer to the airport).

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 PM

372 posts, read 659,049 times
Keep in mind of Steele Creek in SW Charlotte... Airport is 15-20 min away....none of the crime/trouble that is usually seen in W. Charlotte.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback. When I visit, what are some subdivisions of Fort Mill or Belmont you suggest I check out? I prefer communities that don't have an HOA. Is that hard to accommodation in the area? It is virtually impossible where I live now. A reasonable HOA fee is fine. HOA fees in Broward/West Palm are commonly in the $150-$300 a month range, which I think is outrageous. I really like Charlotte on paper. A reasonable distance to the mountains, beach, and my childhood vacation spot (Smith Mt. Lake). I am not a huge city fast pace person. I enjoy outdoor activities much more (hiking, kayaking, MTBing, camping, ATVing, just being in nature). I like that my money will go further too. $300K will barely get you into a nice neighborhood where I'm at. It will also be a very small house, 3 feet away from the next house, and no yard. House and car insurance is criminal down here as well. The weather is nice , but I really miss four seasons (and even snow). No state tax is great, and I would take a very small pay hit moving to Charlotte, but in the bigger picture I would likely live more comfortably and enjoy life more as a whole. It might not seem like it, but I like where I live. It's just I'm starting to see it as a place I'd rather vacation than live. Sorry this turned long winded, these are the thoughts that keep going through my head.

On another note, my girlfriend is a teacher. Or I should say would be a teacher. Schools are not hiring here. She does long term substituting positions at the moment. What are the job prospects for a teacher? I know some areas were hit pretty hard recently and furlough/laid off a lot of teachers.

From what I can see the housing market didn't really take a huge hit as compared to some other parts of the country during the real estate bubble burst. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by pshoe; 03-17-2013 at 04:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte