Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:11 AM

7 posts, read 114,363 times

Advertisements

I am looking to leave NYC after the school year is over - Where would you recommend near the Charlotte area that is a nice place to raise two kids - one in elementary one in JHS and what school districts would you recommend - I tried FLORIDA a few years back and hated it (way to hot and nothing to do) We are coming from a big city so I want to make this transition work- any input is appreciated - thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 06:27 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
A fellow NYer...when I was young(er) and single I lived in Tudor City in NYC...but it was hard to imagine raising a family in the city. So then we moved to Long Island...soon after we relocated from LI in 1998 to south Charlotte -- now we live in Union County. We love it here...I think either area will have what you are looking for. I think you will be pleasantly surprised to see what your money can buy down here in terms of housing...

To check school reports, try http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ That site is divided by county and then by individual school. If you would like the names if schools in this area, just PM me. Feel free to check my website (just click on my name and scroll down...) for a first look at what is available in terms of real estate in this area. Best of luck

Old 02-12-2007, 09:00 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,202 times
If you like city life you might be better satisfied with Charlotte than with Union County. Charlotte is, of course, not NY but does have an urban feel. You'll find culture, art, restaurants, museums, entertainment, etc. If you want to live in the city there are nice condos, and single family homes in the historic wards. Or, you could go south and find nice housing within minutes of Uptown.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:38 AM

so then it would be the uptown area that I should look into ? - we will be looking ro rent- what about schools in that area and activities for my children ages 8 & 14 and as a family - any ideas - thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvie View Post
so then it would be the uptown area that I should look into ? - we will be looking ro rent- what about schools in that area and activities for my children ages 8 & 14 and as a family - any ideas - thanks.
Oh no honey, not uptown That area is highly desirable and VERY expensive. For more affordable rents on apartments or houses look outside of Charlotte - Concord would be a great place for you. The schools are good but you are close enough to all the things Charlotte has to offer. Good luck!

Old 02-12-2007, 11:04 AM

56 posts, read 65,425 times
Where will you be working? I would try to determine that first and then look for schools in the area. Some schools here are highly preferred over others and CMS will allow you to have some choice as to which school they go to, but you may have to provide the transportation. You could then look for housing close to work or between work and home. Charlotte is sprawling in all directions the road systems are very inadequate and highly congested in some areas. As a parent who knows taking a child to another school can add 20 minutes to an already busy schedule. I and many others have been caught up in the whole redistricting fiasco and needed to provide transportation to good schools. In general you may find the schools not up to par with what you currently have in the northeast. I attended schools in the northeast and easily see huge differences. The schools here also have serious overcrowding issues. For instance Lake Wylie elementary school (Steele Creek Area) was well over 150% capacity last year in terms of numbers of children. The school has an indoor gym which is used as a cafeteria an not a exercise facility. Many children attend classes and exercise in the trailer park they have out back! There are many mediocre activities within 2 hours of Charlotte for children but they are not free.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:54 AM

Thanks so much for your input everyone!!! - You have been very helpfull

Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM

1 posts, read 31,487 times
Hi everyone...i am relocating from columbia, sc to charlotte....and i am trying to open a business and get into a good area for my two children.....middle schooler basketball player and a high school senior....south charlotte sounds like a good area...my question is balatyne the same area as south charlotte? Good Business area or should i stick to the inner city for the business aspect?

Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
It depends on what type of business. Uptown would likely have more weekday/daytime traffic from working people whereas South Charlotte areas may have more opportunities for a family related business.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 31,460 times
I am from Rochester NY and I am looking to move to Charlotte and wondering about the hospitals. I am a nurse and need to know about the hospitals and which one is the best, and worst. I work in the cardiac area and need to know which hospital provides the best for open heart patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte