U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 06:14 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,353,672 times

Advertisements

There is a good interview with Stan Campbell in today's Business Journal. Most of the article is about the airport but, he also brings up a point about Charlotte's political leaders. He seems to imply that leaders in the past were smarter than today. I agree. Most of our talented folks are staying out of politics because of the nasty side of serving. Instead of leaders like Vinroot, McCrory and others, we are left with folks like Cooksey who wants to be a career politician. On the county side, Bill James embarrasses the county. Would like to see more politicians in Charlotte work for the best interest of the city instead of being a political lifer or one who serves a political party first.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,555,799 times
Lol, Business Journal and "Good Interview" sound like a contradiction in terms. They are not exactly known for investigative journalism. I note the following about this:
Quote:
"Instead of leaders like Vinroot, McCrory and others, we are left with folks like Cooksey who wants to be a career politician. On the county side, Bill James embarrasses the county.
Years in Charlotte/Mecklenburg public office:
  • McCrory = 20 years, ran for governor 2X, lost 1, won 1, currently in state office
  • Vinroot = 12 years, ran for NC governor 3X, lost all 3, retired from politics
  • Bill James = 14 years
  • Warren Cooksey = 6 years
Based on these stats, the only career politicians I see are Vinroot & McCrory.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:46 AM

15,001 posts, read 11,519,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Lol, Business Journal and "Good Interview" sound like a contradiction in terms. They are not exactly known for investigative journalism. I note the following about this:[indent]
  • McCrory = 20 years, ran for governor 2X, lost 1, won 1, currently in state office
  • Bill James = 14 years
he said he "wants" to be a career politician..

Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Lol, Business Journal and "Good Interview" sound like a contradiction in terms. They are not exactly known for investigative journalism. I note the following about this:[indent]

• Bill James = 14 years
It was a good interview, simple as that. If you don't want to read it, don't, the CBJ is not supposed to be investigative journalism, hence the name Business Journal and not CSI. Of course some take their "news" from WBT or the Ballantyne Breakfast club.

As for your little "fun facts", I did use the word "wants". There is a difference in serving the community for a period of time effectively and being in office with an agenda. For some, politics is a way to have perceived power in the city and to have a voice. James likes to judge morality while seeking to break out parts of Charlotte that he deems superior, not leadership. Cooksey moves around to get in a district where he can win while touting false claims of being a financial executive. They want to be an elected politician and not necessarily to serve. McCrory and Vinroot wanted to do what is best for the city. They were leaders, a big difference over the petty politics that James and Cooksey represent, the interview touched on this. It also touched on being qualified to make decisions......as documented, Cooksey was a payroll clerk and James has an MBA from a degree mill.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:05 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,555,799 times
Thank your for your opinion, but I'd rather look at their records and stats.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Thank your for your opinion, but I'd rather look at their records and stats.
That is important but, looking at stats in a vacuum only tells part of the story. Warren ran for office many times before moving to a district where he could be elected. Before that, he was a city hall rat that hung around because of the power perception. Although his career was less than impressive, he could always tout being an elected official to make up for career shortcomings. Same for James, he has made a living off of staying in a safe district so that he has a voice and perceived power. Neither case would be leadership in any text book. It is self serving and in my opinion wrong. You won't see leadership show up just looking at stats but, over time, you will see results.......goes back to the old saying in football, stats are for losers.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:58 AM

35,881 posts, read 72,979,114 times
Just an observation and one I have wondered about from time to time--If the brightest and best are not willing to run for elected office, we voters are left with those willing to go through the process.

I don't remember who said that power loves a vacuum, lol.

And then there are those who have their own agenda and are into kingdom building. They can be elected officials or people those folks hire (approve).

But true service--that is almost always a rarity--people who serve b/c they truly seek the best solutions, care about the direction of the organization as a whole, and can share a vision for growth and sustainability.

Leadership requires not only a vision but gaining consensus. Decisions can't be based on self-interest. There are folks like this out there serving in positions of leadership, but they are typically not running for political office.

So that leaves the voters with a "so what" attitude. Unless a rock star candidate comes along and says the right things (and has no record for the pundits to nit pick) the vote ends up being along party lines.

Not much of a way to select leaders but in the end, no one can screw up for too long and stay in office, lol. They may be replaced with more of the same, or worse! -- but there is always hope that someone with a real desire to effectively serve will step forward.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just an observation and one I have wondered about from time to time--If the brightest and best are not willing to run for elected office, we voters are left with those willing to go through the process.

I don't remember who said that power loves a vacuum, lol.

And then there are those who have their own agenda and are into kingdom building. They can be elected officials or people those folks hire (approve).

But true service--that is almost always a rarity--people who serve b/c they truly seek the best solutions, care about the direction of the organization as a whole, and can share a vision for growth and sustainability.

Leadership requires not only a vision but gaining consensus. Decisions can't be based on self-interest. There are folks like this out there serving in positions of leadership, but they are typically not running for political office.

So that leaves the voters with a "so what" attitude. Unless a rock star candidate comes along and says the right things (and has no record for the pundits to nit pick) the vote ends up being along party lines.

Not much of a way to select leaders but in the end, no one can screw up for too long and stay in office, lol. They may be replaced with more of the same, or worse! -- but there is always hope that someone with a real desire to effectively serve will step forward.

I just read this, I missed it for the first time. I would love to see real leaders emerge in Charlotte. There are a lot of agendas with certain elected officials who feel "empowered" by being in office. Bill James is a politician who cowardly does not work for the good of the area. There have to be great folks in that district but, the neo cons love him and we end up with another unqualified politician with a diploma mill MBA who think he is smarter than anyone else. We have people like Warren Cooksey who willingly move to South Charlotte just to be elected. This is not leadership and a desire to serve the city, this is a desire to feel important by being elected. Warren once was labeled as a "Finance executive", in short he was a payroll clerk. He is a nice guy, he just does not understand the big picture when it comes to how things work, he governs only to stay elected. I would like to see more Pat McCrory's emerge or Andy Dulins/Richard Vinroot who have a good business sense and more importantly, they have good people skills and respect others. Bill James thinks too much of himself to respect others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte