Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 AM

78 posts, read 137,447 times

Advertisements

Im just wondering if NC charges property taxes on boats/cars/motorcycles/etc like SC does.

Im looking to relocate and trying to minimize my tax burden. SC real estate has much lower taxes but when you figure in my fiance's car, my truck and bike, then hopefully a boat in the future, it may be easier to just buy in NC!

Any input appreciated....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoner7 View Post
Im just wondering if NC charges property taxes on boats/cars/motorcycles/etc like SC does.

Im looking to relocate and trying to minimize my tax burden. SC real estate has much lower taxes but when you figure in my fiance's car, my truck and bike, then hopefully a boat in the future, it may be easier to just buy in NC!

Any input appreciated....
Yes. NC has PPT on all those things.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM

78 posts, read 137,447 times
Do you know what the rates are or where to find them? I googled but came up empty handed.

SC's rate is 268 for a car worth 10 grand. Is NC similiar?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:50 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Property taxes are assessed by the counties and municipalities in NC. The tax rate is different in all of them. For Mecklenburg see this link.

2012 Tax Rates

As noted on the link there some places add on an additional yearly fee. Charlotte & Davidson have additional tax zones and you pay these if you live in one of those zones. See the bottom part of that page.

NC will also charge you a 3% highway use tax to register a vehicle in the state.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
If it makes you smile or move, they tax it.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:22 AM

821 posts, read 1,854,944 times
When you move to NC and register your vehicles, the State will charge you sales tax on the Blue Book value of the vehicle. I don't know what SC does. The sales tax will be in addition to the local county and or municipality PPT you will pay. Note: they are not charging for the air you breathe - not yet, at least.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
When you move to NC and register your vehicles, the State will charge you sales tax on the Blue Book value of the vehicle. I don't know what SC does. The sales tax will be in addition to the local county and or municipality PPT you will pay. Note: they are not charging for the air you breathe - not yet, at least.
In NC there is no sales taxes on vehicle purchases. What you are talking about is the Highway Use Tax. This looks like a sales tax but it's different in that it is 3% and capped at a max of $1500. You will also pay this tax if you buy a car in the state whether it is used or new. Basically they assess it anytime the title changes hands so it is charged even if the vehicle is a gift. The only exception is if you give a vehicle as a gift to someone in the immediate family. If the car is new and purchased in another state, and you paid taxes in that state, then NC will credit you for that amount when you bring it in state.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post

NC will also charge you a 3% highway use tax to register a vehicle in the state.
What if you bought the vehicle in NC but register it in SC. Do you still have to pay the highway use tax?
I'm hoping I didn't just get shafted by a dealership. Or if they do charge the highway use tax shouln't SC DMV include that in what I pay to them?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM

113 posts, read 150,136 times
You could be like a lot of people i see dropping their children off at school every day that drive around with out of state tags for several years (even though approx 50% of the tax goes to the schools they do not feel they should pay). I just paid my annual taxes and it frustrates me how many people fail to register their car and pay their fair share of taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte