U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:43 PM

5 posts, read 3,910 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum and found the site through Google. Im looking to move out of NH and am considering Charlotte. I currently live in Manchester. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm looking for a place with nice weather, preferably not as brutal winters as NH. I don't want an area with bad natural disasters(Earthquakes in California, etc). The weather isn't the biggest deal to me, but I figure if I'm moving I might as well pick a place with ideal weather.

One thing I want to mention is I'm not worried about finding a job. I work for a major corporation and transferring to any city really wont be a big deal.

I'm used to the city-ish life. I'm not big into clubbing and bars but would like the option a taxi-ride away. It's very important to me to have gyms nearby as I am very into working out and have been for over 7 years. I also want plenty of shopping- grocery stores, malls, move theatre, a walmart nearby etc. I don't want any place where I have to drive 30 minutes to get into the city.

Id like a place with a beach or nice lake within 2 hours of home. I like to be near water. I'm worried this may be an issue in Charlotte with some of the things I've read so far.

I'd like a nicer area with lower crime rate. I know this is all a lot, but any light that can be shed on any of this would be great. Or if anyone can recommend another part of NC that may be closer to what I'm looking for? Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 AM

2,173 posts, read 3,955,912 times
Charlotte has nearby lakes, no nearby ocean.

The crime rate is the same as any other city. It depends on which part of town you're in.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:49 AM

1,356 posts, read 2,563,003 times
Charlotte is about 3 and a half hours from the ocean.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,677,558 times
Answers to your requirements:
  1. Weather - Check. It rarely snows here. This winter's snow consisted of one dusting that melted by the next day.
  2. Clubs, Gyms, Stores, Walmart, etc. - Check. Any thing you want in this regard.
  3. Water - Closest beach areas are in SC and it's a 3 hour drive. However Charlotte has 3 lakes Mountain Island Lake, Lake Norman & Lake Wylie, plus the Catawba River. All offer plenty of water recreation and water front living.
  4. Low Crime - Check. There are rough neighborhoods in Charlotte, but most areas experience little crime.

Based on what you said, I think it would be a good match. I recommend looking in the Huntersville area and points nearby.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Answers to your requirements:
  1. Weather - Check. It rarely snows here. This winter's snow consisted of one dusting that melted by the next day.
  2. Clubs, Gyms, Stores, Walmart, etc. - Check. Any thing you want in this regard.
  3. Water - Closest beach areas are in SC and it's a 3 hour drive. However Charlotte has 3 lakes Mountain Island Lake, Lake Norman & Lake Wylie, plus the Catawba River. All offer plenty of water recreation and water front living.
  4. Low Crime - Check. There are rough neighborhoods in Charlotte, but most areas experience little crime.

Based on what you said, I think it would be a good match. I recommend looking in the Huntersville area and points nearby.
Thank you! One last question, what other areas other than Huntersville? I'm not familiar with the area at all and it would really help me expedite my search. Thanks!!!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:02 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,018,787 times
You could also consider Ft Mill, SC, a stones throw away from Charlotte, closest town to a lake (Wylie) and Charlotte. A very nice town with big city amenities.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:04 AM

430 posts, read 765,616 times
You could consider Union County as well. We have low crime in most of the areas, and it's suburban so you have all the shops/gyms, etc. We don't have taxis down here, that's in Charlotte (if it is at all, I don't personally go into the city much). One thing you don't mention is if you have a family. It's a whole lot of families down here, so if you're a single, 25 year old, maybe not.

Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM

Yeah I am single male and 25 actually haha. I'll check out Ft Mill and Union too. Thank you all so much

Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM

314 posts, read 644,260 times
I know you say you work for a major corporation...so would you have to work in an office or from home? I ask because if you have to commute daily to an office, you will want to consider the location of your office when choosing an area to live.

That being said, and considering your a single young man, you may like living up at the Lake Norman area. Or maybe closer to uptown. I would recommend visiting the are first and seeing if it is really what you are looking for.

I will dm you a link that will give you more area info and hopefully that will help with some of your questions about Charlotte.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:05 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,677,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralaylin View Post
You could consider Union County as well.
Unfortunately Union county is not convenient to any of the lakes in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte