Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times

Advertisements

Right now I have Verizon Wireless.

I am happy with the wireless reception I get, but I'm looking at prepaid plans, for I am tired of the ancillary fees Verizon Wireless charges, the limited phone availability with basic plans, and the fact that I am "locked in" to a phone and/or plan, for two years.

AT&T prepaid wireless seems to have decent coverage, good plans, and I like the fact that I can buy an inexpensive phone, should my current phone break, outside of warrantee.

Anyone have any idea how AT&T's reception is outside of Charlotte, e.g. Monroe, Clover/York, Gastonia, etc?

Also, I have not the faintest idea of how SIM cards work...anything.

Can y'all fill me in on the basics - should anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your time .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM

16 posts, read 32,651 times
Check cellphone and carrier coverage | RootMetrics

you can check this out for coverage. they do degrees on how SIM cards work, is there any specific question you had in mind?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,456 times
Verizon and others use CDMA as wireless technology and as you know this does not use SIM cards.

GSM is more widely used and each carrier provided its own SIM card that slots into a phone. SIM cards ONLY work on the carrier's network that supplied them and most phones are also locked to the GSM network (as Verizon do too) to taht particular network. Most phones can be unlocked to work on other carrier networks but SIM cards remain on the one network that supplied them.

Thus if you have T-Mobile phone and SIM card it will never work on AT&T. Now if you put in an AT&T SIM cards and you have the phone unlocked (a one-time operation that costs from $0 - $20) then you phone will work on AT&T. There is more however in as much that T-Mobile and AT&T us diffwrent frequency bands for 3G data so whilst you will now be able to make phone calls and text people, hi-speed data won't work.

I know this sounds hard and I have written it in a rather terse manner but if you go over it a couple of times and do a bit of raking about on the internet, you'll soon get ist straiglened out.

All the major carriers now support virtual networks. This where they sell their traffic serrvices in bulk to someone who then resells to the public. Here's a list of the current crop of virtual networks. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...work_operators

Any AT&T virtual network will work if you use an AT&T phone.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM

Thank you both, for your replies

The information and links you provided, helped a great deal .

Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,176 times
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile prepaid a couple of months ago and been very happy with the service and obviously the money savings. Not being locked into a particular phone or carrier is a great feeling in itself.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
T-mobile just went to no-contract plans. I'm on a business plan, but my part of that bill went down ~$15. We need to see how it all shakes out but that means I'm paying ~$28 for unlimited everything. The only negative is that I went from 2g of data to 500Mb before the speed drops off. I use so little data that won't affect me at all. My limited understanding is that the personal plans have streamlined as well.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:28 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
T-mobile just went to no-contract plans. I'm on a business plan, but my part of that bill went down ~$15. We need to see how it all shakes out but that means I'm paying ~$28 for unlimited everything. The only negative is that I went from 2g of data to 500Mb before the speed drops off. I use so little data that won't affect me at all. My limited understanding is that the personal plans have streamlined as well.
All you say is absolutely correct. T-Mobile have some quite good deals right now. AT&T have their family plans and they are no more than straight robbery but, better than before. I don't know what Verizon are up to sine all my stuff is GSM 'cuz I need it here and in Europe and CDMA is not much use over there.

It really is worth a look at the major carriers one more time. Obviously the virtual carriers are going to be cheaper especially those who specialize in "bring your own phone" since some of them have only a web presence hence their overheads (and probably service) are very low. I feel this to be especially true on pre-paid deals.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:38 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,489,780 times
I went to prepaid about 6 months ago. I have an iphone 4 running on Straight Talk. The phone needs to be unlocked and you can do that by getting someone with an ATT plan to get an unlock code for you, or you can buy one from ebay for about $4.

I use the ST $45 unlimited plan ($48 with tax) and it works very well for me. I can often find $45 cards for $38 on ebay as well.

Dawn

Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile prepaid a couple of months ago and been very happy with the service and obviously the money savings. Not being locked into a particular phone or carrier is a great feeling in itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I went to prepaid about 6 months ago. I have an iphone 4 running on Straight Talk. The phone needs to be unlocked and you can do that by getting someone with an ATT plan to get an unlock code for you, or you can buy one from ebay for about $4.
WH, Vmax, and Dawn, thank you for your contributions .

Looking forward, more than ever, to getting out of my current contract.

I appreciate the tip on T-Mobile. I think highly of their service, though I heard that the hold times for customer service are nightmarish?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,183,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Verizon and others use CDMA as wireless technology and as you know this does not use SIM cards.
Starting with the 4G/LTE generation of phones, the CDMA carriers use SIM cards. For the most part you still can't use an AT&T or T-Mobile phone on Verizon or Sprint, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte