Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2006, 11:44 AM

7 posts, read 32,109 times

Advertisements

Is there a web site with posted commute times from surrounding communities in the Charlotte area?

Are their financial or educational advantages living in NC vs SC? Employment is in Rock Hill, SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 08:48 PM

348 posts, read 430,431 times
If you make a run to your closest supermarket (Harris Teeter or Lowes), you will spot one of those real estate free mags put out by the Observer. In it, they run commute times into uptown charlotte from all the nearby areas.

Schools in both NC and SC depend pretty much on where you live. You can check out greatschools dot net to get a better idea. Schools in fort mill, SC (15 mins from rock hill) are pretty solid, for example.

Property taxes are about to drop in South Carolina, which means that the schools will not be getting as much tax dollars. Some do fear that this will affect the schools in the long run. On the flip side of that, for those that are less worried about schools, that will mean a nice tax savings and it could mean lots more folks moving to SC to grab hold of that savings.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:28 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,766 times
If you do pick up one of the real estate magazines, add about 15 minutes to any of the commute times they quote. At least if you're going to be on the road between 7:00 and 8:30, or between 5:00 and 6:30. Most of the commute time surveys I've seen cite the Observer staff as the source. Not quite a scientific survey.

I live in South Charlotte just below Highway 51, and commute 45-50 minutes in the morning, and 45-75 minutes in the evening. That's during peak hours - starting at 7:15 or 7:30 am and then leaving work between 5:45 and 6:30. I'm always surprised that traffic stays so heavy so late into the evening. Stupid me that it surprises me every day - you'd think I'd learn!

Last edited by megassel; 10-08-2006 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: correct verb tense = readability

Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,908,723 times
In short, Ft. Mill would be a GREAT choice!!

Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post

Property taxes are about to drop in South Carolina, which means that the schools will not be getting as much tax dollars. Some do fear that this will affect the schools in the long run. On the flip side of that, for those that are less worried about schools, that will mean a nice tax savings and it could mean lots more folks moving to SC to grab hold of that savings.
Now that's shocking to me! I had no idea that property taxes EVER drop, anywhere.

What has led to this drop in taxes?

SL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: