Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times

Advertisements

There is a pretty good write up here. It sounds as if what is being bid will are for most of the events to be held at the speedway.

Charlotte Named One of Four Cities Being Considered to Host Summer Edition of X Games | Bank of America 500 | Speedway | Charlotte Motor Speedway

While there are very specific requirements for venue, none of them say that it has to be in an "urban" setting whatever that is supposed to mean. The race track isn't exactly located in Bugtussle as there are a huge number of places to eat, shop, and things to do near there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 11:54 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Those arent the XGames Sunny... its photos of a training site for a guy in the XGames... XGames have been in LA and Philly and while Philly's arenas are in South Philly they are accessable by subway

I think Detroit is probably the best site followed by Austin... Charlotte may get a leg up due to ESPN but I doubt it. Uf it was held Uptown I think it would have a better shot.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to have them at CMS and would cheer them on if we got them.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There is a pretty good write up here. It sounds as if what is being bid will are for most of the events to be held at the speedway.

Charlotte Named One of Four Cities Being Considered to Host Summer Edition of X Games | Bank of America 500 | Speedway | Charlotte Motor Speedway

While there are very specific requirements for venue, none of them say that it has to be in an "urban" setting whatever that is supposed to mean. The race track isn't exactly located in Bugtussle as there are a huge number of places to eat, shop, and things to do near there.
Please dont misquote me... I never said it HAS to be Urban but Ive followed XGames and attended them and they definitely lean towards urban backdrops when it comes to the summer games.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
....... Charlotte may get a leg up due to ESPN but I doubt it. Uf it was held Uptown I think it would have a better shot. ....
Downtown CLT does not meet their stated requirements for venue. They want all the major events in the same place. There is simply not a combination in downtown that could handle it.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Downtown CLT does not meet their stated requirements for venue. They want all the major events in the same place. There is simply not a combination in downtown that could handle it.
This is why I doubt we will win it. Would be nice for the region if we did...

Old 05-05-2013, 01:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
I think we'll get it to be completely honest.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,117 times
Does anyone know the cities that lost out on the bid to host the 2014 Summer X Games? Apparently, there were 9 cities that applied. The only city I can find that lost their bid altogether was Houston, TX. Anyone know the other 4?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:36 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Does anyone know the cities that lost out on the bid to host the 2014 Summer X Games? Apparently, there were 9 cities that applied. The only city I can find that lost their bid altogether was Houston, TX. Anyone know the other 4?
Atlanta, Fort Worth, Long Beach, Minneapolis, Montreal, New Orleans, Pasadena and Philadelphia.

Detroit named one of four finalists to host ESPN X Games | MLive.com

Old 05-05-2013, 02:45 PM

Actually:
  1. Austin, Texas (summer) – Circuit of the Americas
  2. Charlotte, North Carolina (summer) – Charlotte Motor Speedway
  3. Chicago, Illinois (summer) – Chicago Sports Commission
  4. Detroit, Michigan (summer) – Action Sports Detroit, LLC
  5. Fort Worth, Texas (summer) – Texas Motor Speedway
  6. Houston, Texas (summer) – Harris County – Houston Sports Authority
  7. Long Beach, California (summer) – Coast Competitions of Long Beach
  8. Minneapolis, Minnesota (summer) – Meet Minneapolis, Convention & Visitors Assoc.
  9. Montreal, Canada (summer) – Gestev, Inc.
  10. New Orleans, Louisiana (summer) – Greater New Orleans Sports Foundatio
  11. Pasadena, California (summer) – The Rose Bowl Stadium
  12. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (summer) – Philadelphia Sports Congress/Comcast-Spectacor

Charlotte has already beat out some big names there. This list does not suggest that it has to be in the center of Charlotte.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
This list does not suggest that it has to be in the center of Charlotte.
Neither did anyone here. We're just saying that it could be beneficial to Charlotte to hold some events uptown.

Quote:
They want all the major events in the same place.
Where does it say this? I found the official website for cities looking to host the games and see nothing saying that. The closest thing I found was that it said they would even consider resort towns combining with regional cities, although I'm sure that specific example is more referring to the winter X Games.

Here's the website, maybe I'm missing where it says that so please point it out: Technical Requirements :: Bid X Games. There is a sample map of the LA games showing what looks like everything in the same area, but that doesn't mean that it has to be like that. The picture on the link I posted shows what appears to be an arena similar to TWC. Serious question, where would CMS hold events like that in case of rain?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte