Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 PM

11 posts, read 23,157 times

Advertisements

Offered a job in this area....would like to know some more info before we make the trip.

Schools and diversity are important to me. This means liberal to moderate school systems and non-religious preschool offerings. Good shopping available (a real mall with a GAP, Macy's/Nordstroms, etc (not just a Belks).

Can someone opine as to the demographic (white collar, blue collar, section 8, etc) in the University area? We are also looking to live in a suburban area that is nice but as mentioned above, is more on the liberal side. A synagogue or temple would be great too. So far I have looked at Harrisburg and Concord and am planning on looking at Huntersville this evening. Would love an opinion on those areas too or anything I should be looking at. We need at least a 4br/4ba, a 1/2 acre, and would like to spend closer to $350k but could go as high as $700k.

Thanks in advance to all the N. Charlotte Locals!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,916,407 times
I live in North Charlotte in Concord but on the outskirts on the Cabarrus/Mecklenburg county line. You should take a look in Winding Walk though you won't find a home with half an acre. You might also want to take a look at Waterford Hall which has a Davidson Address but is in Cabarrus County. You could also take a look at Skybrook as well.

I would look at Concord Children's Academy it's a 5 star and is not affiliated with any religion.You can also check out Tutor Time,The Goddard School (off of Harris Road) or Primrose.

The neighborhoods above are close to Northlake Mall that does have Macy's but not a Nordstrom. The closest Nordstrom is South park Mall I think.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 PM

26 posts, read 72,306 times
Default Lake Norman synagogue

There is a wonderful synagogue in Davidson and the schools in Davidson and Mooresville graded schools are good. Also Huntersville and Cornelius.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 PM

3 posts, read 76,026 times
Another good community in concord is Wellington Chase. Cabbarus county school district,huge homes,big backyards.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,584,899 times
Anything up Prosperity Church is nice and is Mallard Creek High School zoned which is a pretty good high school. You also have the Montisory school right there. Davidson is nice as well as Huntersville. I live right near the Mallard Creek/Prosperity Church area and enjoy the diversity and you are pretty close to everything. I am Jewish but there is no temple here but Davidson has one and its a hike but the JCC in south Charlotte has just about anything you could need or want.

The Prosperity Church area has all the shopping pretty close with Trader Joe's, Northlake Mall not too far (has Macy's, Apple Store,H&M coming soon, a HUGE Forever 21,and tons others) , Concord Mills not too far, about 10 Harris Teeters and other grocery stores, Indian grocery stores, Ikea, and any other store within 10-15 minutes.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM

328 posts, read 613,030 times
I lived in Mallard Creek and can attest to it being a great spot to live in the city. I lived on Mallard Creek and WT Harris Blvd (basically Prosperity Church area, as another poster here mentioned). There are plenty of grocery stores, restaurants, and basic amenities all around this area, and the Concord Mills area really is just down the road (I always took the back road to it, which made it feel particularly close). Concord Mills is a giant indoor outlet mall with a ton of shopping (which itself is surrounded by an entire area filled with big box retail). However, a more typical shopping mall, North Lake, is only about 15 minutes down the road on WT Harris. So shopping won’t be an issue. As for diversity, the apartment complex I lived in was very diverse. Singles, families, young children, etc. A lot of folks work nearby at the IBM complex and are in the area with their families. Full disclosure, though, I moved out of the area a couple of years ago (last rented there in late 2011) and have heard mixed reviews about the quality since then. However, (1) that could just be people overreacting, which is what they said to me before I moved to the area and they were totally wrong and (2) even if my former apartment complex has lost its luster, there are tons of other great ones in the area. To summarize, I think that area of town is a great one to live in – 15 minutes from Uptown and 10 minutes from Concord Mills, plenty of convenient grocery and shopping options, and quiet and safe.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:04 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,927,465 times
Prosperity Church/Highland Creek is desirable

Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 AM

246 posts, read 580,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I live in North Charlotte in Concord but on the outskirts on the Cabarrus/Mecklenburg county line. You should take a look in Winding Walk though you won't find a home with half an acre. You might also want to take a look at Waterford Hall which has a Davidson Address but is in Cabarrus County. You could also take a look at Skybrook as well.

I would look at Concord Children's Academy it's a 5 star and is not affiliated with any religion.You can also check out Tutor Time,The Goddard School (off of Harris Road) or Primrose.

The neighborhoods above are close to Northlake Mall that does have Macy's but not a Nordstrom. The closest Nordstrom is South park Mall I think.

Our son went to both Tutor Time and Concord Children's Academy. Wouldn't recommend either, although CCA was much better than Tutor Time.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:31 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,916,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
Our son went to both Tutor Time and Concord Children's Academy. Wouldn't recommend either, although CCA was much better than Tutor Time.

What did you dislike about CCA? You can DM me if you would prefer.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:02 PM

6 posts, read 7,957 times
Highland Creek on the Cabarrus County Side or Christenbury Neighborhoods might fit what you are looking for.

Piedmont Progressive Preschool is quite liberal (they don't acknowledge Thanksgiving - let alone a religion). It is located in the Unitarian church across from Mallard Creek elementary, but the preschool is NOT affiliated with the church. They only rent the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte