Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,361,008 times

Advertisements

It's certainly part of the reason for moving there. Just not the sole one. No one in the story said that was the sole reason or even the most important reason they chose to live in a county other than Meck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,618,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It's certainly part of the reason for moving there. Just not the sole one. No one in the story said that was the sole reason or even the most important reason they chose to live in a county other than Meck.
That is exactly right. There is absolutely no evidence that taxes are the only reason people are moving from Meck to other counties. And, there is not evidence because it is not true.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Frewroad doesn't tend to have an emotional response to posts while others, including myself change defcon depending on what certain people say. He might come off as insulting sometimes but I don't recall an actual flame. I have been guilty of giving worse than getting and is one reason I've taken time outs here. I have no patience presently and my fuse stays lit for the last month due to an unknown reason.
Post #62 is a example, he is telling another poster that they are not qualified to make a statement. Noone on this board has the right to tell others how qualified they are to make statements. Especially one who continues to argue points based on WSOC interviewing people on the street. It is sad.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,845,216 times
If you're arguing about taxes and you don't know the rates in neighboring counties, how can you truthfully say you don't think people are moving because of taxes? It may be your opinion, but you can't make an argument when you have half of the facts.

My wife wanted to move into SC for the taxes alone. She was pretty insistent on the move. So don't say people don't move solely because of taxes. It happens a lot more than you may want to believe. Perhaps it is penny wise and pound foolish but it does happen.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
If you're arguing about taxes and you don't know the rates in neighboring counties, how can you truthfully say you don't think people are moving because of taxes? It may be your opinion, but you can't make an argument when you have half of the facts.

My wife wanted to move into SC for the taxes alone. She was pretty insistent on the move. So don't say people don't move solely because of taxes. It happens a lot more than you may want to believe. Perhaps it is penny wise and pound foolish but it does happen.
Interesting last sentence...

Old 05-05-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:

I don't think you have to know tax rates, people move for a variety of reasons, knowing exact mileage rates is irrelevant. Besides, I think the poster who said that meant it in a different way. The sentence was high jacked by Frew as a way to perpetuate an argument and to once again, try and cast doubt on the person and not the message, he is good at that.

But, to say that thousands are moving because of tax rates based on street interviews is foolish and statistically wrong. Would you buy a stock based on street interviews? People buy a house for many many reasons. The reasons are scattered on this thread but, it comes down to personal decisions due to schools, price, size, location (isn't the first rule of real estate location?), lot size and for some.....how can we impress our friends with a 5,000 sq foot cheaply built track home. As I said previously, to isolate the effect of taxes, you have to strip away all other factors. If someone would buy a Myers Park home that is Just like one in Lancaster county other than taxes being higher in Meck, the the argument of this thread is null. Because the most desirable homes measured by price are not only in Meck, but in center Charlotte, the argument that tax decisions is the main determinant of where people live is completely false.

And again, the first rule of real estate is Location, not mileage rates.

The OP took a TV reporter's story as fact for political reasons. Unfortunately, the story is fictional and not based in economic fact.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:39 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,361,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post

And again, the first rule of real estate is Location
Yup. But location (AKA the schools assigned to that location) probably actually are the biggest reason that many move to the surrounding counties...

Old 05-05-2013, 08:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,845,216 times
WhT is the fascination with Myers Park? The Myers Park most people think of has no real equal in the area. Myers Park is more About status than the house in many cases. Perhaps a location that isn't an apples and oranges comparison.

The argument of the thread isn't null. The assertion that thousands are bailing out of Meck is inaccurate at best but there are peoeple leaving because of the taxes. Like I said earlier in this thread, some people would rather give their money to Exxon than to Meck Co or City of Charlotte. Some people are fine with a longer commute if they work downtown or if they will have to derive a bit longer.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yup. But location (AKA the schools assigned to that location) probably actually are the biggest reason that many move to the surrounding counties...
I would believe schools over taxes. Charlotte is growing a a fast pace. Not everyone can or wants to live in Meck. Meck is becoming a dense county with higher home values. For a family of 4 with a 200k budget, you won't be able to buy a lot in south Charlotte or Lake Norman. Your choices may be sending your kids to East Meck or Fort Mill, that is an easy answer and a reason why people move to York regardless of taxes.

The tax question and thesis for this thread are so wrong I can't believe anyone would buy into that crap. The only people who believe this are the neo cons who hate all things government, WBT and a dumb TV reporter who majored in broadcast and cinematic arts.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
WhT is the fascination with Myers Park? The Myers Park most people think of has no real equal in the area. Myers Park is more About status than the house in many cases. Perhaps a location that isn't an apples and oranges comparison.

The argument of the thread isn't null. The assertion that thousands are bailing out of Meck is inaccurate at best but there are peoeple leaving because of the taxes. Like I said earlier in this thread, some people would rather give their money to Exxon than to Meck Co or City of Charlotte. Some people are fine with a longer commute if they work downtown or if they will have to derive a bit longer.
Myers Park commands a premium, they a doing something right. People who live in a 5,000 sq foot house in Lancaster are also trying to impress. The argument of this thread is wrong, thousands are not moving because of taxes. The folks that I know in neighboring counties move to get a larger house or better school district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte