U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,373,423 times

Advertisements

When I saw the County tweet this I thought they were hacked: "Mecklenburg County @MeckCounty It has been moved that Harry Jones be terminated without cause immediately. Motion carries. #meckbocc" This is after the room was already packed due to school board supporters wanting money and feeling the need to pull heartstrings: https://twitter.com/korterw/status/3...410752/photo/1 Filled balconies are very rare. Also on the agenda is discussion about guns in parks which has been deferred more than once. Since CMS was on the agenda, that means kids were present. Preceding the regular session was a THREE HOUR closed door session. This literally left kids crying for want of food and water. Misery was to be shared from the bottom up before the night was over. Obviously the meeting was in regards to Harry Jones. At the start of the meeting an out of nowhere vote was taken to dismiss Jones without cause. This means he's being fired for no specific reason which earns him 6 months pay and benefits. His wife through prior negotiations will continue to receive medical coverage until she reaches 65. The Observer has a curiously well fleshed out article in a very short time: County commissioners fire longtime manager Harry Jones | CharlotteObserver.com I wonder if they dusted off copy they've been working on for years. I think the insubordination to his new bosses is what lead to this. Take away that and all the mess with DSS and the reval I think he should have been fired after he ratted out someone that sent him e-mail criticism by forwarding it to their boss. Alas, he was unfirable at least until the guard changed. Jones asked to speak but was refused. He then shook hands with all members of the board and left the dais. He was told his personal belongings will be sent to his home. PS: In case it changes, someone noticed the URL of the story compared to the text. Very interesting. "effort-underway-to-fire-county". Underway? Was the Observer tipped off?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 09:05 PM

3,236 posts, read 5,079,701 times
Harry Jones should have been fired years ago but we all know why he wasn't. I don't know any other job where you can make as many big mistakes as he made and still keep your job. Too bad the taxpayers will continue to pay his way and pay for his mistakes for many years to come.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:27 PM

Tweet just in from Observer's business writer:

Ely Portillo @ESPortillo
Pat cotham says #meckbocc had been trying to come to separation agreement with harry Jones and lawyer for months

OK, this hurts my head. Maybe they needed three hours to have the placard made and put in place. COOOOOOLLLLLD.

They move quick. #meckbocc #harryjones http://twitter.yfrog.com/oeijtnxxj

Old 05-07-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Harry Jones should have been fired years ago but we all know why he wasn't. I don't know any other job where you can make as many big mistakes as he made and still keep your job. Too bad the taxpayers will continue to pay his way and pay for his mistakes for many years to come.
We all know? Hmmm. What do you think? I think it was old guard versus new. His insubordination went to far. Biting hand that fed him.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:50 PM

Video of the termination uploaded by WSOC. I couldn't watch it but maybe you can:
County Manager Fired - YouTube

Old 05-08-2013, 12:01 AM

834 posts, read 904,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Really? Just off the top of my head: Most state office workers in all states miss 45% and upwards of their work days, and still get paid full hours and even get bonuses and raises.

There is a reason American industry has been in coefficient decay for almost half a century.. It's not because there are standards with educated and remotely competent people behind it.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Really? Just off the top of my head: Most state office workers in all states miss 45% and upwards of their work days, and still get paid full hours and even get bonuses and raises.

There is a reason American industry has been in coefficient decay for almost half a century.. It's not because there are standards with educated and remotely competent people behind it.
What? I have no idea what this means but FYI, Jones didn't miss many days including when he was fighting cancer. I have no idea how what I just type fits in with your message though.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:58 AM

172 posts, read 442,157 times
While I believe that there is reason enough to warrant a termination, I don't think it was handled well. Could it not have been done in a private setting? I feel bad for Mr. Jones and his family that his termination was conducted in a public meeting with media present.

I feel that the decision to do it this way will come back to hit Charlotte's taxpayers in the wallet.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatol View Post
While I believe that there is reason enough to warrant a termination, I don't think it was handled well. Could it not have been done in a private setting? I feel bad for Mr. Jones and his family that his termination was conducted in a public meeting with media present.

I feel that the decision to do it this way will come back to hit Charlotte's taxpayers in the wallet.
No. He reports to the board so they have to fire him. They have to do that in open session. They can discuss personnel matters behind closed doors but they can't take a vote.

I'm still blown away that they had a sign made for Bobbie Shields already. Might have been more tasteful to crown the new king another night.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:03 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,733,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Right. And 90% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte