Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,629,802 times

Advertisements

This. I think it's a bit of a cold shoulder to the folks that have purchased Bobcat season tickets for the last what 6-7 years? My husband was in SC when the hornets were here, so he likes it. I wasn't here, and I don't like it.

Charlotte is a much different place than it was 20 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
Yeah, I don't think the grass roots support that existed with Hornets 1.0 will be there for Hornets 2.0. Even non basketball fans supported Hornets 1.0. They don't care now and those days are long gone.

I think Jordan might bet a bump in attendence from this name change from NBA diehards, but in the end he needs to put together a winning team. If not, then this change might backfire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 12:57 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,805 times
No that MJ has decided to change the name back to Hornets, I hope he will be SERIOUS about putting a quality product on the court, b/c it doesn't mean a thing if they still suck! Wipe the slate clean of the whole Bobcats era by bringing in a new attitude of WINNING! GO HORNETS

Old 05-25-2013, 09:55 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
This. I think it's a bit of a cold shoulder to the folks that have purchased Bobcat season tickets for the last what 6-7 years?
All 5 of them? Obviously they need to have a better team for any of this to really matter.

I understand why some people really like the change. I also understand why people don't care as long as the team is better. But there is really no good reason to dislike the change.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:45 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Quote:
OMG.... The name wasn't about Johnson.

Panthers,
CATZ,
Bobcats,
whatever other cat name this goes with this area...
People should really do some research into how the name was chosen.

In keeping with
You keep believing that if you'd like. It was absolutely a play on his name and why it was nearly universally hated. And why would we need a cat name just because of the panthers? Tell me the last time you saw a panther or bobcat in the wild?

Sent from my HTC Flyer via Tapatalk 2

Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM

359 posts, read 591,679 times
The Charlotte Flight was the actual winner of the poll, but was disregarded by Johnson.

Charlotte Bobcats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-26-2013, 03:24 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,972,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum View Post
The Charlotte Flight was the actual winner of the poll, but was disregarded by Johnson.

Charlotte Bobcats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I remember that as well! The majority of fans wanted the Flight name, but Mr. Johnson never cared about the city of Charlotte and that was just the beginning of his lack of commitment to Charlotte!

Old 05-27-2013, 01:57 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,358 times
They arent back . The wantabee but will never be is all that is back in my opinion.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:05 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times
Quote:
OMG.... The name wasn't about Johnson.
You won't convince me of that. If the name of the Bobcats wasn't about Bob Johnson, then he could have picked any number of other Bob-less names. At any rate, even if the name of the team wasn't an ego trip by the last owner of the team at first, it sure as hell became perceived that way and was surely to have sucked every last bit of live out of the NBA team in Charlotte. Personally, I hated to hear the team name any time someone was talking about them.

Glad to have the Hornets (name) back.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:03 PM

372 posts, read 659,049 times
Not to mention that Johnson only made games available on the digitial tier of TW which forced people to upgrade. The games were also not available at all on Comporium, which meant no one in Fort Mill could watch a game on tv. Way to alienate a fan base that was still hurting from Shinn taking the Hornets out.

Good riddance to the final reminder of johnson's time here in CLT!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
The Hornets just reportedly hired Steve Clifford as their head coach, wonder if he can sway Dwight Howard to come man the middle for the Hornets next season?? Put him in the middle with Bismack at PF and you've got a very formidable front line, defensively speaking at least. That'd get some people in the seats at TWC arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte