U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

We are young Puerto Rican family of 4. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. We are looking to possibly move to Gastonia for a business opportunity for my husband. He would be taking over an insurance office there. I am looking for a safe, great, family oriented place to live and raise our little ones. Any information will help. Another relocation possibility would be RTP Durham.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 11:59 AM

23,567 posts, read 29,800,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm8778 View Post
We are young Puerto Rican family of 4. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. We are looking to possibly move to Gastonia for a business opportunity for my husband. He would be taking over an insurance office there. I am looking for a safe, great, family oriented place to live and raise our little ones. Any information will help. Another relocation possibility would be RTP Durham.
Would you buy or rent, & what would your housing budget be? (approximately)

Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,299,159 times
As far a I know there are no restrictions on Puerto Ricans who want to live in Gastonia since you brought it up.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:28 PM

Most of the insurance offices in Gastonia are either on Garrison Blvd & New Hope.

Based on that, you have several options. I forgot to ask, do you want Catholic school, private school, or public, since you will be needing schools soon enough.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:43 PM

Since it will be a new business in a sense budget will be tight. We will rent for the first year and looking for about 1000 a month. Would definitely be interested in private school. The reason I mentioned being Puerto Rican is because I hear theres alot of racism in smaller cities of nc. I did visit Winston salem recently and people did seem friendly and treated us well. Im not concern for me or my husband but more for my kids.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Since it will be a new business in a sense budget will be tight. We will rent for the first year and looking for about 1000 a month. Would definitely be interested in private school. The reason I mentioned being Puerto Rican is because I hear theres alot of racism in smaller cities of nc. I did visit Winston salem recently and people did seem friendly and treated us well. Im not concern for me or my husband but more for my kids.
I think you'd be happy in Gastonia or any of several towns nearby. If you plan on private school it would give you fewer constraints for where you would live.

There is a supermarket in Gastonia that is Puerto Rican owned (part of a chain out of NYC) so you should be able to get what you need for cooking. I go to Gastonia frequently & I see Puerto Ricans. You will not be a novelty, if that helps.

Do you want to rent an apartment or a house?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 PM

3,184 posts, read 6,299,159 times
It is the place you decide to live in that will determine if you have problems and it wont be because you are from some other country.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
It is the place you decide to live in that will determine if you have problems and it wont be because you are from some other country.
crestliner, Puerto Rico is not another country. It has belonged to the US since the Spanish-American War & the residents are US citizens. Regardless, I'm pretty sure that the OP lives right here on the mainland.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I think you'd be happy in Gastonia or any of several towns nearby. If you plan on private school it would give you fewer constraints for where you would live.

There is a supermarket in Gastonia that is Puerto Rican owned (part of a chain out of NYC) so you should be able to get what you need for cooking. I go to Gastonia frequently & I see Puerto Ricans. You will not be a novelty, if that helps.

Do you want to rent an apartment or a house?

That's great to hear. I dont mind living in an apartment if thats what 1000 would get me. So either way Im fine.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
That's great to hear. I dont mind living in an apartment if thats what 1000 would get me. So either way Im fine.
You might be able to get a house for $1000 in Gastonia. If you don't mind an apartment building, I'd look into Ashley Arms. They have a website. It was once the high school in Gastonia & was converted to apartments. It's a lovely old building & it appears that the residents are all ages, so would probably be less likely to be party central. It's not far at all from the main branch of the Gaston County library & the Schiele museum.

Gastonia has lots of apartments, but I think that that one would work well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte