Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:13 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times

Advertisements

I think UNCC has long suffered from being a commuter school. I admit that I have always put UNCC near the bottom of the colleges in NC as far as academics and reputation. Most of the kids that I know that went to UNCC (my generation and the current generation) chose it as a last resort or were from out of state.

I think the location is an issue as there is little for the students to do in that area and crime is a big issue in my opinion. I do think that having a football team will help draw more students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 08:22 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,250 times
Last I checked WFU, ASU, and NC State were the only schools doing cool things and have high standards. The rest are just for people who's parents couldn't get a big enough loan..

Also for motorsports you're on the wrong side of the country, and even after graduation, internships aren't going to get you far. You need exceptional talent or to get in to entry level and build a 4-6 year work history, and the very least.

I thought everyone in motorsports was going to wyotech or europe?

Old 05-23-2013, 09:33 PM

5 posts, read 47,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Last I checked WFU, ASU, and NC State were the only schools doing cool things and have high standards. The rest are just for people who's parents couldn't get a big enough loan..

Also for motorsports you're on the wrong side of the country, and even after graduation, internships aren't going to get you far. You need exceptional talent or to get in to entry level and build a 4-6 year work history, and the very least.

Well I'd rather work in Nascar than any other area of Motorsports which would be a little difficult living on the complete opposite end of the country haha. Also I don't know if you misread by post but I want to work in the media side of things (preferably public relations) so a mechanical school wouldn't suit my communication studies needs very well. And I know getting a solid job in any area of the Motorsports field is difficult but I never expected to get a stable job right after graduation (especially not in this economy.) Years of experience will be needed and I am aware of that but without a degree, I wouldn't even be able to achieve that. Thanks for your concern though.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:35 PM

5 posts, read 47,377 times
Thanks for the responses everyone! Apparently I've been reading the wrong things because according to most of you, UNCC definitely doesn't seem as bad as others have made it out to be. I'm hoping to get out there to visit the campus sometime this Summer and make sure it's the place for me but anyway, thanks for your input.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,960 times
Quote:

Appalachian State and UNCC's admissions standards are about the same. Your comment about loans doesn't make much sense and makes me wonder where you're getting your information. As far as motorsports engineering goes, UNCC does have a program. Not sure how much that would help someone in communications though as there isn't much interaction between the departments.

UNCC is not a bad school. In general it's reputation is lagging behind what's actually going on there. Their engineering and architecture program are solid. They have a decent communications program but you will probably get more support somewhere like chapel hill.

That said, you are in Connecticut, it might be best to get some intern experience in the NYC market going somewhere there.

Also, don't listen too much to college boards like college confidential and others. They're full of insecure people who like to put others down to feel better about themselves.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:13 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleigh91 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone! Apparently I've been reading the wrong things because according to most of you, UNCC definitely doesn't seem as bad as others have made it out to be. I'm hoping to get out there to visit the campus sometime this Summer and make sure it's the place for me but anyway, thanks for your input.
It depends on your major and career prep (co-ops, internships, etc)....there a lot of students from NC State and UNC waiting tables after graduating.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:53 AM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
This is a pretty funny thread.
UNCC is a good school and many students come here from out of state. My kids' friends have had a tougher time getting into UNCC than ECU, Western and High Point. It is a local school to us in Charlotte so it seems like a commuter school. There are several varsity, club and intermural teams. Very close to uptown and the University area has plenty to do. The school has some great and competitive programs.
When I went to a state school in MD, several of my friends thought it was a commuter school because they lived 15 miles away.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleigh91 View Post
Well I'd rather work in Nascar than any other area of Motorsports which would be a little difficult living on the complete opposite end of the country haha. Also I don't know if you misread by post but I want to work in the media side of things (preferably public relations) so a mechanical school wouldn't suit my communication studies needs very well. And I know getting a solid job in any area of the Motorsports field is difficult but I never expected to get a stable job right after graduation (especially not in this economy.) Years of experience will be needed and I am aware of that but without a degree, I wouldn't even be able to achieve that. Thanks for your concern though.
A few people on here are defeated and wouldn't give positive feedback if their life depended on it. They read Nascar and automatically assumed you wanted to be on a racing team, LOL...

Good luck! UNCC is a fine school and it's growing.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:

Loud and wrong...

Who the heck waits until after college for an internship?

Old 05-24-2013, 07:31 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
UNCC is a good school. I should know. They have one of the better Accounting programs in the state. They also excel in engineering and education.

You are going to find a hard time just getting by with a communications degree and trying to get into motorsports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte