U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,982,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It depends on your major and career prep (co-ops, internships, etc)....there a lot of students from NC State and UNC waiting tables after graduating.
Very much true!!!

I wish more students spend more time in carefully selecting a program based on what happens once graduated.
I also blame colleges who are nothing more than pure business, taking advantage of young people who will end up with huge student loans (and no jobs). Most colleges will offer any programs with only the goal of attracting & collecting money - instead of programs based on real needs of the job market.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 AM

1,865 posts, read 4,948,328 times
UNCC is a good school. I know several of my son's friends go there & I have a cousin that attends UNCC. FYI, Belmont Abbey College, which is 10 miles from Charlotte, has a Motorsports Management program you might want to look into as well.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:06 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,533,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleigh91 View Post
I probably shouldn't mention this to my friend who's looking into Western then huh? haha
I rec'd my undergrad degree from UNCC and a postMaster's certificate from Western Carolina University and still gainfully employed, altho wishing I could retire.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:10 PM
LLN

5,183 posts, read 9,395,298 times
I think the cheap shots at UNCC are unwarranted. My brother went there, undergrad, then got into a very selective Penn State masters program.

Getting into masters program is probably a better indication of the value of a school than getting a job.

NC is blessed with many GREAT universities. We are fortunate.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM

3,520 posts, read 2,464,272 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses everyone! Apparently I've been reading the wrong things because according to most of you, UNCC definitely doesn't seem as bad as others have made it out to be. I'm hoping to get out there to visit the campus sometime this Summer and make sure it's the place for me but anyway, thanks for your input.
I am not familiar with UNCC and their media internships, but keep in mind that Fox/Speed and ESPN College Sports (not sure what they're called exactly) have network facilities here as well as NASCAR. It may pay to get a jumpstart into what kind of internships are available at those outfits, or what affiliations UNCC has before you commit to them.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:01 PM

106 posts, read 165,877 times
Quote:
Mostly just hearing it from different places on the web. Most people say it's a throw away university that anything that breathes can get into. Other's just call it incredibly boring with no extra curriculars (which are obviously important for job resumes) and a few have said the classes aren't challenging in the slightest. I didn't know they didn't even have a football team so that could have been part of the "boring" aspect but hopefully will change with the addition of the team.
Employers look at grades and relevant work experience such as internships. They don't care if you attend football games. UNCC is headed towards being the largest university in the UNC system and it's well regarded in this state. It's hardly a throw away university.

To be frank, serious students don't have time to be bored. I think you should reexamine your motivations for going to college. UNCC isn't a party school if that is what you are looking for.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM

6,122 posts, read 8,567,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
Employers look at grades and relevant work experience such as internships. They don't care if you attend football games. UNCC is headed towards being the largest university in the UNC system and it's well regarded in this state. It's hardly a throw away university.

To be frank, serious students don't have time to be bored. I think you should reexamine your motivations for going to college. UNCC isn't a party school if that is what you are looking for.
LOL wow you took that post as her saying she wanted to go to a party school?

Old 05-24-2013, 03:26 PM

239 posts, read 329,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
This is a pretty funny thread.
UNCC is a good school and many students come here from out of state. My kids' friends have had a tougher time getting into UNCC than ECU, Western and High Point. It is a local school to us in Charlotte so it seems like a commuter school. There are several varsity, club and intermural teams. Very close to uptown and the University area has plenty to do. The school has some great and competitive programs.
When I went to a state school in MD, several of my friends thought it was a commuter school because they lived 15 miles away.

Ummm...UNCC is on the very EDGE of Charlotte..ATLEAST 20 mins from Uptown. So I dont know about it being "close" it is. But UNCC is a very good school. and even without football...it does have a VERY good basketball program, that produces MANY great atmospheres on campus, and has top of the line facilities, as well as a TENNIS STADIUM.
Call me ole fashioned, but I havent seen a FULL professional-style tennis stadium at a university before.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:35 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,486,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post

Very few employers look at grades in my experience. Communications especially. It's all about experience and internships and connections.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:07 PM

106 posts, read 165,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Very few employers look at grades in my experience. Communications especially. It's all about experience and internships and connections.
My experience is opposite of this. I haven't seen an employer that did not consider grades as part of a college hire application. Grades may not tell if the applicant has the knowledge to do the job. But they are an excellent indication of the applicant's ability to set priorities and meeting commitments to complete assignments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte