Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
I am LOL at this remark. First, UNCC did not create football to draw more students. It has no problem drawing new students. When I was in school there in the late 1970s, approximately 8k students attended. Today approximately 27k students attend and that is over a 300% increase in approximately 30 years. It is among the top 1-2 fastest growing universities in NC every year. A quick check on line will show that UNCC is only slightly smaller than ECU, Chapel Hill, and State. Football was created to provide an entertainment alternative for current students and alumni. Is UNCC still a commuter school? Of the 27k students, nearly 50% live on campus or just off campus. I do not believe that all of Chapel Hill students live on campus either. When I was at UNCC many years ago, it was number one in the state in Accounting based on Percentage passing CPA exam. It was also 2nd in the state in Nursing based on percentage passing state exam. Other programs also rank high. I doubt that these standards have changed. The comments by charlotteborn are ridiculous. Maybe he should have done some research prior to posting his comments to help overcome his negative bias. But it true that the blue bloods of southeast Charlotte want to send their children to Chapel Hill. Of course we know now that Chapel Hill also has its faults. Putting UNCC near the bottom in NC academically is ludicrous. But even the bluebloods of southeast Charlotte will eventually overcome their bias toward UNCC.
I never said that UNCC created football to draw more students, I said I thought that having football would help to draw more students. When I went to college (late 1970's) UNCC was not well thought of academically and obviously many people still don't think highly of it (hence - this thread asking why it is thought of as the laughing stock of NC colleges). In the late 70's UNCC was known as a commuter school and part of that was because there was not much happening at the school on the weekends - the kids I knew that went there went home and hung out with their high school friends on the weekends.

BTW - I was replying to the original poster who asked why UNCC is the laughing stock of NC colleges. I was sharing my opinion - sorry if that bothers you.

Last edited by Charlotteborn; 10-31-2014 at 08:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 04:46 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
...When I went to college (late 1970's) UNCC was not well thought of academically .....
If this is an issue, i.e. academic reputation, then you don't improve it by adding a football team. If anything, it shows the priorities of the school to be just the opposite.

Sure, UNCC was/is known as a school for commuters. I don't see a problem with that. It definitely solves a problem that needs to be solved in Charlotte. It allows working people to get a degree which is a good thing.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
.....Is it a genetic problem or is it an educational problem?
I might have considered that you were actually being serious until you said this.

A good engineering manager would look for a solution to a labor shortfall instead of insulting the Charlotte gene pool for his lack of results. I can't imagine that anyone with an engineering degree from a school such as UNCC would not be able to take a short business English class.

I've also seen many good engineers, including those from the "best schools in the country", absolutely fail as managers. Maybe the real problem with the shortfall is an lack of interest from the local new graduate community.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I might have considered that you were actually being serious until you said this.

A good engineering manager would look for a solution to a labor shortfall instead of insulting the Charlotte gene pool for his lack of results. I can't imagine that anyone with an engineering degree from a school such as UNCC would not be able to take a short business English class.

I've also seen many good engineers, including those from the "best schools in the country", absolutely fail as managers. Maybe the real problem with the shortfall is an lack of interest from the local new graduate community.
This is on target.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:21 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
If this is an issue, i.e. academic reputation, then you don't improve it by adding a football team. If anything, it shows the priorities of the school to be just the opposite.

Sure, UNCC was/is known as a school for commuters. I don't see a problem with that. It definitely solves a problem that needs to be solved in Charlotte. It allows working people to get a degree which is a good thing.
Adding a football team doesn't diminish or alter priorities with respect to academics. It actually increases the likelihood that more qualified students seeking a full collegiate experience might consider UNCC as a destination.

There are numerous studies that correlate intercollegiate success in sports with a significant increase in applications. Of course an increase in quantity doesn't necessarily substantiate an increase in quality but the visibility and recognition goes a long way in general conversation.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:27 AM

645 posts, read 1,069,092 times
Quote:

I made the genetic comment to underscore the fact that the problem is a consistent one. I see no reason for you to take it as an insult (unless, of course, you take umbrage--- by proxy no less-- solely just because you can).

I don't understand how your comment about many "good engineers, including those from the 'best schools in the country', absolutely fail as managers" fits into this. Sounds more than a bit snarky, so don't get your pantyhose in a twist. I'm not going to get into a defensive rant with a would-be consultant.

"...I can't imagine that anyone with an engineering degree from a school such as UNCC would not be able to take a short business English class..."

In the past, I hired experienced engineers from other companies. Unfortunately, they're becoming scarce and expensive. I have no idea what sort of English classes UNCC undergrads take. I haven't even considered newly-graduated greenhorns from UNCC, so I haven't looked at any UNCC transcripts. Do engineering students even take writing courses? It seems that they don't. When I was in college, I took basic writing courses that prepared me to write papers within my discipline.

I don't need someone with an ability to write using business terminology. I don't need someone with an ability to write technical treatises. I need engineers who can write a simple description of a hydraulic problem and propose an intelligible solution.

"A good engineering manager would look for a solution to a labor shortfall..."

Cripes. I run a hydraulic engineering company. I'm not the Department of Labor, and I'm not on the University Board of Whatever, so get real. The solution has been to hire from out-of state. It'd be so much simpler for me to hire local grads.

Old 11-01-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
....Sounds more than a bit snarky, so don't get your pantyhose in a twist. ,,,,,
Good luck with your company. Sounds as if you are going to need it.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:36 PM

444 posts, read 582,132 times
Default He Did

Quote:

He did find a solution to his hiring dilemma, he hired someone from Oklahoma. The poster was making an observation, he has trouble finding qualified UNCC candidates.

There is a group of you guys including yourself that stalk these forums for anything anti NC. You simply will not admit the state has challenges with various social issues, including health, education, poverty, etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:51 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,707 times
Quote:
I made the genetic comment to underscore the fact that the problem is a consistent one. I see no reason for you to take it as an insult (unless, of course, you take umbrage--- by proxy no less-- solely just because you can).

I don't understand how your comment about many "good engineers, including those from the 'best schools in the country', absolutely fail as managers" fits into this. Sounds more than a bit snarky, so don't get your pantyhose in a twist. I'm not going to get into a defensive rant with a would-be consultant.

"...I can't imagine that anyone with an engineering degree from a school such as UNCC would not be able to take a short business English class..."

In the past, I hired experienced engineers from other companies. Unfortunately, they're becoming scarce and expensive. I have no idea what sort of English classes UNCC undergrads take. I haven't even considered newly-graduated greenhorns from UNCC, so I haven't looked at any UNCC transcripts. Do engineering students even take writing courses? It seems that they don't. When I was in college, I took basic writing courses that prepared me to write papers within my discipline.

I don't need someone with an ability to write using business terminology. I don't need someone with an ability to write technical treatises. I need engineers who can write a simple description of a hydraulic problem and propose an intelligible solution.

"A good engineering manager would look for a solution to a labor shortfall..."

Cripes. I run a hydraulic engineering company. I'm not the Department of Labor, and I'm not on the University Board of Whatever, so get real. The solution has been to hire from out-of state. It'd be so much simpler for me to hire local grads.

I don't know what they take over in engineering but in the computer science department we take all of the general education English (as does everyone at UNCC) as well as two courses our senior year. One is a technical writing course and in the other course we write argumentative essays about different topics in our industry. In both classes we have to give a presentation. In the second class I am referring to, we have to basically teach a class for the entire class period.

Also as part of our specific degree requirements, we take a critical thinking course as well as a course called ethical issues that deal with issues in our industry. These are both writing intensive courses.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:56 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
He did find a solution to his hiring dilemma, he hired someone from Oklahoma. The poster was making an observation, he has trouble finding qualified UNCC candidates.

There is a group of you guys including yourself that stalk these forums for anything anti NC. You simply will not admit the state has challenges with various social issues, including health, education, poverty, etc.
Lol. Does everyone in the state need to repent to satisfy you?

Make two lists, one with all the states that have "challenges" and one with all that states that don't. Then think about how generally idiotic your revelation is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte