U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:40 PM

68 posts, read 186,904 times

Advertisements

I am a new mom with a 9 month old son and live in Northern NJ. The cost of living and property taxes, the traffic, the pace, etc. are getting to me. I want to be able to be a Stay at home mom but realize that is impossible with the crazy cost of living up here. I've been in my home 2 years and my taxes have gone up $2,000!!

My husband works for a bank that is HQ'ed in Charlotte and he could get transferred easily. So, we are considering relocating to NC.

Originally, we were thinking the Lake Norman area (Mooresville, Cornelius, Huntersville) but a friend of a friend said Union County is the way to go.

What are the pros and cons of these areas?
Which towns have the best schools?

I would prefer a family friendly subdivision with pool, tennis courts and golf course. Any suggestions?

I would like an area close to good shopping and restaurants too.

Thanks for all your help!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2006, 09:12 PM

98 posts, read 797,334 times
I just posted this on another thread in this forum...

I just moved down here from Long Island, NY to Waxhaw, NC. I am in my 30's and my hubby and I have one son who is 7 yrs. old. What I have to say as far as advice goes is: research, research, research! It took me 7 months of research just to make the trip down to NC, but it was all worth it in the end! I hooked up with an awesome realtor who showed us the ropes of these areas here in Union County. His focus for us was: the best school district, a quality home, resale value and development potential, enough room to roam and grow in the house as a family, etc. We worked well with him and I recommended him to other people I was chatting with on-line with before we moved down here. Well, between my research info. that I passed on to others in the chat room and after hooking up with my realtor... 5, yes 5, other families from Long Island, NY have now decide to relocate here to Union County! Isn’t that crazy?!! Lol! Well, out of those 5... 3 are actually here now living the NC life, 1 is in contract for a house in UC, NC and 1 still can't find what house they want. If you want his name and #, I would be more than happy to pass it on.

His name is Keith and I will tell you about him. This guy spent his 4th of July with us last year for about a week "area hunting”. He had great patience, especially with my little guy in the car with us. Anyway, after we return home, I did more research and we decided we were going to make the move. Both my hubby and I could not come back to NC together a second time though, I had to come back to NC, ALONE, for the first time in my life. I was scared, but Keith… he practically took care of me – just as he promised my husband he would. Keith spent every day for the week with me while I was down last September – helping me narrow down neighborhoods and the like. And once I decided on the area I wanted, the development I wanted and the lot I wanted… don’t ya know I forgot my checkbook back at the hotel!!! I couldn’t leave a deposit on the lot I so desperately wanted and there were customers heading out to those very lots we were standing in, we knew this because we overheard parts of their conversations in developments on site “office”. We raced back to the office, told the developers my story and all they could say was sorry, we cannot temporarily hold the lot you want to get your check book because it is not fair to others – which, when you think about it, it is only fair, but I guarantee you, I was NOT thinking that at that time. Well, I felt I was on the brink. Saddened and in despair. I thought my world was going to come to an end – all that research for nothing I thought. So what does Keith do, without blinking an eye… he whips out his check book and rights the $1,000.00 check for me to hold the lot. I looked at him and was astonished. No one in my life had ever done anything like that for me before… ever. I was deeply touched and new then for sure what kind of person he was/is. To put so much faith and trust in me and my resolve to move to NC, it was refreshing.

The next day we went to the developer to “do the deal”. How scared I was to sit down and actually start the process of buying a lot and stuff - it freaked me out, but Keith took care of it all for me. He told me what to do when it came time to decide on the structural aspects of the house. He new we had a tight budget and that we were stretching it greatly to live where we do now, so we had no room for fluff. He told me things like, add the 3rd garage... for resale he said. I was like what? That like 8G's more!?! He said trust me... and boy was he right! I would have died without that 3rd bay now not having a basement! Or when he said... add the bath or add this or that... he always said resale, resale... and ya know what? The whole “resale” thing didn't click until after I was here. Then I understood what he meant by resale. I kept saying, but I don't want to sell, I want to stay. How naive I was, but Keith wasn't - he was always on the up and up with us... always looking for our future – honest in every way, if you know what I mean - and thank goodness he was or else we might have screwed up. For us, with the move and the house, we told him we had only one opportunity to make the right decision for ourselves, our son and our future. One opportunity to find the right schools, the right lot, the right house and the right town for us, our little family, and thanks to - yes, myself and my husband and our research - but truly thanks to Keith, we are now living what seems to be our “dream” life. We will be forever grateful for what he has given our family. (see next post for end of story.)

Old 10-10-2006, 09:13 PM

When I wakeup in the morning and look at my "mini" woods in the back of our property at how the sun starts to shine on the changing leaves of the trees or when I sneak up to take a peek at the green heron (a big bird) that flies in every morning to grab a snack before his day begins from my pond in my back yard or when the bells rings and it is yet another happy child calling upon my son t come out and play or when I hear my neighbors talk about home much our homes have all gone up in value since our development sold out - I have to say in my heart - I thank Keith for it all.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:18 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,861,977 times
Hi there,
We relocated from NY to South Charlotte in 1998 -- now we live in Union County. For us, it was absolutely the right move...we love it here and I think it is the ideal place to raise a family.

I can give you info on schools, etc. if you'd like -- just PM me and I would be happy to do so

I can't get over the tax situation up there...I can't even imagine a $2,000 tax increase here -- it would more than double taxes for a lot of property around here.

Take care

Old 10-11-2006, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,769 times
i live in charlotte on the southwest side. i like it here its pretty fun we have plenty of things to do around here. the schools are great the best one are:
Elementary: steele creek
Middle: Kenndy
High: Olympic
The area i live in has a great shopping center And A New Movie theater.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 AM

5,045 posts, read 5,136,325 times
We are hoping to move to Lincoln County ; which is northwest of Charlotte.
Good luck
dorothy

Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 AM

88 posts, read 240,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2STAY View Post
When I wakeup in the morning and look at my "mini" woods in the back of our property at how the sun starts to shine on the changing leaves of the trees or when I sneak up to take a peek at the green heron (a big bird) that flies in every morning to grab a snack before his day begins from my pond in my back yard or when the bells rings and it is yet another happy child calling upon my son t come out and play or when I hear my neighbors talk about home much our homes have all gone up in value since our development sold out - I have to say in my heart - I thank Keith for it all.
We are actually looking into the Union County area ourselves and just like you/family....this is our one opportunity to try and make the best decision financially in buying a home. However, as we went driving around with our realtor in May we seemed to have noticed that prices were a little on the higher side....it can stretch it out a bit but don't really want to if we dont have to. If you dont mind me asking which community did you buy into and what was the price range?...You can PM me with the info if you like. I will heading down to NC from CA in a couple of weeks to do my 1 week househunting trip....and may have to do it myself as well. I am looking forward to it.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,618,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2STAY View Post
He told me things like, add the 3rd garage... for resale he said. I was like what? That like 8G's more!?! He said trust me... and boy was he right! I would have died without that 3rd bay now not having a basement! Or when he said... add the bath or add this or that... he always said resale, resale... and ya know what?
When I was first reading this portion of your post, all I could think is that your realtor wanted a bigger commission I am always suspicious of realtors since ultimately their job is to get you to buy the biggest, most expensive house that money can buy since their paycheck is based strictly on how much you spend. Just an FYI that not all realtors will tell you to buy bigger because they're interested in your well being. Having bought and sold 5 homes in 2 different states, I have seen realtor behavior at its worst. I say in the homebuying process, TRUST NO ONE

Glad it all worked out for you in the end, and that you're happy with your new home.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:24 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,460,416 times
NC2Stay... What a great story. It is good to hear about Realtors like that. We tend to get a bad rap and good news seems to stay silent while on the other hand bad news makes big noise. Welcome to the South!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:15 AM

hey shaylahc, thanks for the input, but i think you misunderstood. sorry, i am not the best writter in town and i think i may have sent the wrong message. my realtor went based on the info. we told him. he showed us homes in our price range first, for sure, he showed s homes from $290 to about $330. the home that was in and aroun the $330's of course we liked the best and we went up from there. we purchsed a home for a total of $345-ish in the reserve, but that lot did not work out for us - that was the one he put money down on for us. we canceled the deal and keith fought for us to get our $4,000 that centex did not want to give back to us. after we got our money back, keith was ready to get back to the drawing board. it was our decision o go into the higher priced area of the same community and we decided ourself to stretch the dollor and spend about $425 to be where we are now. there was no influence by keith whatsoever in re: the house to buy, but he did influence us in re: options to improve the home. keith was the one fighting me on... a lori, don't do hard wood, do it later it will make you mortgage higher, don't do granite, you don't have to get crown molding, do it later, etc., etc. he tried to help us save money, but there was no stoping us. we want what we wanted. keith helped us with strutural items that would help us in the future. we were going to get a 2 car garage when he said lets go back over the block you will be living on... does anyone have a 2 car... one person... i bet that person wishes they had the three car now. things like that. it was nothing like what you are saying. he advised us based on what we told him - like the fact that i have about 10 tubs of x-mass stuff, 3 tubs of halloween, 2 for thanksgiving, etc. all that was in an attic space in our old homes garage. i do not beleive that keith would have ever directed me, or anyone i know to a home for more moeny to make more commission. i found him to be a very down to earth simple and honest man who mind you hasnt been a realtor long enough to be that savy if you will - e is basicall a new-jack compared to others, untarnished by experience if you will. there - enough said. lol!!!

hey charlotte agent - thanks for the welcome y'all!!!

hey leeohana! flip over to my thread "Recently relocated from Nassau County, NY to Charlotte, NC anyone want advice?" you will get some good info. there and we can chat more. see ya! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>