Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 09:29 PM

23 posts, read 91,009 times

Advertisements

I remember pleasantly how clean and neat looked Charlotte just few years back. Divided areas (like the ones on Providence Rd or 51 or others) were showing the most beautiful green grass, freshly cut, no weeds and trees were surrounded by fresh pine needles. Cute flowers here and there. Everything was beautiful, beautiful and ... beautiful !
Now... totally opposite, tall weeds all over the place, pine needles totally disappeared, it looks neglected.
What happened ? Why we see this transformation ? It should not be expensive to have those services done.

PLEASE City Of Charlotte or who should be responsible for, don't let Charlotte lose its beauty !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Providence road and 51... Both state roads. Our new GA is worried about their pet projects. Beautification is solidly a liberal platform.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
I just visisted charlotte [ my hometown] and had the totally
opposite experience.
I found Charlotte to be absolutely beautiful and very well
maintaned by the city. a lot of money have been put
into medians and public areas in Charlotte , so much that my husband and
I are wondering how the city even has the money to maintain
it all.
Guess it is all in what you compare it to, I now live in a town that
cannot even mow the grass or pick up litter at the entrance to town.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:45 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Landscaping services are not cheap by any stretch, especially when you consider the amount of grass needing to be cut. It would be nice if more people would volunteer their time once in a while to help keep Charlotte clean. And people would stop throwing trash out of their cars.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:53 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
THe islands in my client's parking lot are full of weeds because birds nest in them in May.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
I just visisted charlotte [ my hometown] and had the totally
opposite experience.
I found Charlotte to be absolutely beautiful and very well
maintaned by the city. a lot of money have been put
into medians and public areas in Charlotte , so much that my husband and
I are wondering how the city even has the money to maintain
it all.
Guess it is all in what you compare it to, I now live in a town that
cannot even mow the grass or pick up litter at the entrance to town.
Can you name where you saw these well maintained medians and public areas ? I'll drive there right away and see.
Correct, if we compare Charlotte now with Charlotte few years back and no other cities, we'll see it's getting more neglected. At least I feel this way.
City has the money from our property taxes and hopefully some extra from the big banks.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:14 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I blame the excessive rain we have had. Everything is growing at warp speed.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Landscaping services are not cheap by any stretch, especially when you consider the amount of grass needing to be cut. It would be nice if more people would volunteer their time once in a while to help keep Charlotte clean. And people would stop throwing trash out of their cars.
Landscaping services, I would assume City would have their one employees and tools to do this job instead of contracting, it should be much cheaper. Also, somebody may want to check the work done....was it done properly or poorly.
Lets not forget we got 25% increase in our property tax back in 2011. I hoped I'll see some improvements with these extra money.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:50 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
It's actually cheaper to contract out. If you hire your own staff, you have to purchase vehicles, machinery to do the jobs, and maintain the machinery etc. And you have to provide insurance, benefits, Workers Comp etc.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,024 times
I will have to agree with the OP. Charlotte has never been that good at maintaining it's medians, whether it's an all concrete median full of weeds and cigarette butts, or a grassy median. There are exceptions, especially in Ballantyne and Southpark which are privately maintained, but for the most part, the others are not on a regular maintenance schedule and can start looking pretty bad in no time.

I started a thread about this last June with pictures to support my facts. You can see them here.
These areas were eventually trimmed a) because I contacted CDoT, b) the DNC was coming to town.

Sadly, these same areas are once again looking pretty crappy.

BTW, the worst offenders for median maintenance are the state roads such as Hwy 51, Woodlawn, etc. One thing I know for sure. If you contact the right person, the work will be done. Unfortunately, Charlotte as a "reactive" view on this matter as apposed to being "proactive".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte