Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2007, 08:09 PM

67 posts, read 254,349 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving near Charlotte from New York. His job has an office there and we were thinking this might be a great opportunity. We are both in our mid-20's and do not have any kids.

I was reading some articles and noticed that crime looks like an issue in the area. Can anyone recommend nicer area's for us? We would like to buy a house (1 or 2 bedrooms) and plan on visiting sometime next month. We are looking for something under 200k.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 07:07 AM

1,417 posts, read 6,905,951 times
Where would you be working? That's really important to the located of where you live.

About crime, I've lived here all of my 41 years of life and have never had a problem. As with about anywhere, it happens in pockets and the crimes usually happen between people who know one another. So if you know what areas to stay out of and use good 'ol common sense, you'll be ok. Not saying it can't happen, just that the odds are really low if you do the above.

Last edited by friendnc; 03-12-2007 at 07:38 AM..

Old 03-12-2007, 07:18 AM

48 posts, read 150,776 times
Every city of appreciable size has a crime problem. Have hope, there are good areas

I'm sure some of the Realtors and residents that browse this forum can point you in some good directions based on the numbers you gave.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 AM

297 posts, read 1,141,031 times
I have to agree with Duquesne. Every city has a growing crime problem Charlotte is no different. Crime has moved to the burbs and so have the gangs. Crime in Charlotte is under reported by far. I would find several areas that interest you. Contact the HOA's and watch group for the developments. Most areas now have a police officer assigned to specific area to improve these groups. Most are now circulating information on at least a weekly basis to keep neighbors abreast of what is going on. I think this would help greatly with your question. I would not trust much of the information on this board many posting here are from other areas of the country. So much for insider info right. hope it helps.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:49 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp32 View Post
My boyfriend and I are thinking of moving near Charlotte from New York. His job has an office there and we were thinking this might be a great opportunity. We are both in our mid-20's and do not have any kids.

I was reading some articles and noticed that crime looks like an issue in the area. Can anyone recommend nicer area's for us? We would like to buy a house (1 or 2 bedrooms) and plan on visiting sometime next month. We are looking for something under 200k.

Thanks!
We also relocated from NY. I am a realtor here, so I cannot comment on "high crime" or low crime areas. Your best bet is the check the police website at www.charmeck.org. They have a way you can enter a property address and all the crimes nearby pop up on a map. On a personal note, we have not had problems here (knock on wood!) but we did have our home burglarized in a "safe" area in NY. So who knows...

You may want to consider SE Charlotte or Matthews. You should be able to find a small house in that price range. Let me know if I can help -- I can send you listings of homes if you would like -- just PM me. Best of luck to you

Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,345 times
Also moved here from NY about 6 months ago and LOVE IT!!!!!
As the others have said, there is crime no matter where you live, NC, NY or anywhere in between. Just check out the areas. I did a check on the police web site as another poster suggested on the area that we are renting in before me signed anything!
We have now decided to buy over the border into York county SC. My suggestion is to rent a little while and learn the area before you buy. I know of a few people who just bought right away and are regretting it. JMO.
Good luck.

BTW, where in NY are you coming from?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:36 PM

12 posts, read 31,877 times
Default moving from ny to nc

Hi..you may want to also consider Monroe...a small, up-and-coming town outside of Charlotte. If you like historic houses...this is the place to be... you can commute from monroe to charlotte in 20-40 minutes...depending where you want to go... You can buy a great historic home for under 200k... check out the website...good luck with the move and welcome to the south!
http://www.downtownmonroenc.com/information/about_us.php (broken link)

Old 03-12-2007, 03:47 PM

124 posts, read 168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp32 View Post

Thanks!
I am not much older than you guys-- let me tell you as a single woman I feel safe in the Lake Norman area of Mecklenburg County (Cornelius, Huntersville and Davisdon) as well as the SouthPark, Ballantyne and the Arboretum areas of Charlotte. I have lived all over this city-- literally. If you go too far out of the Charlotte area for your age range, you won't be too happy as the young professional crowd and the social things to do for your age range are largely in Charlotte. So look for a townhome/home maybe in Beverly Crest in Charlotte or Oakhurst in Cornelius. I know a lot of 20-somethings in those areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte