Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:15 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

My daughter's best friend is Vietnamese so we get delicious meals from her mom. All kinds of pho and other delicacies I don't care to know as they are rather unusual. I'm the same way, I latch onto a particular dish and order it over and over. In Thai I've yet to find a good ginger beef, my husband the sweet Chile chicken. We will try it and see what they offer at Viet Thai.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 02:17 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
My daughter's best friend is Vietnamese so we get delicious meals from her mom. All kinds of pho and other delicacies I don't care to know as they are rather unusual. I'm the same way, I latch onto a particular dish and order it over and over. In Thai I've yet to find a good ginger beef, my husband the sweet Chile chicken. We will try it and see what they offer at Viet Thai.
Bangkok Ocha is my Thai place but I have nothing to compare it to. If you've been there tell me how it stacks up.

As far as pho goes, how many oz is in that bown? Good Lord I didn't know I was eating for a full day!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
I love Bangkok Ocha but there's also Thai House a little closer to Pineville. I like Viet Thai for pho but I think the other two have better Thai. And nextdoor to Thai House is Bombay Grille, which I like very much.

You might also try Malaya Kitchen in the back of the Arboretum. They've got a very interesting menu. I like Riccio's very much. A few doors down, I also enjoy the Yellow Rose every once in a while. Their wings are excellent and they've got some great sandwiches on the menu.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:52 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Bangkok Ocha is my Thai place but I have nothing to compare it to. If you've been there tell me how it stacks up.

As far as pho goes, how many oz is in that bown? Good Lord I didn't know I was eating for a full day!
BO is my favorite for Pad Thai and Mee Krob, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
I love Bangkok Ocha but there's also Thai House a little closer to Pineville. I like Viet Thai for pho but I think the other two have better Thai. And nextdoor to Thai House is Bombay Grille, which I like very much.

You might also try Malaya Kitchen in the back of the Arboretum. They've got a very interesting menu. I like Riccio's very much. A few doors down, I also enjoy the Yellow Rose every once in a while. Their wings are excellent and they've got some great sandwiches on the menu.
...I prefer TH for Krapraw. I discovered this when I used a Groupon last year. Makaya was tasty the one time I went.

Never tried Pho. Viet Thai keeps coming up as a great place. A friend who lives in Lake Park raves about the one near her.

Is that Yellow Rose the same place that used to be off South Blvd? I never went but heard the wings were great.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post

Very good! I need to compile this now that we've got some momentum. I absolutly HATE going to the Arboretum but I'll consider it.

I don't do Indian though do to it's explosive nature. Same with sushi

Old 06-24-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

Never tried Pho. Viet Thai keeps coming up as a great place. A friend who lives in Lake Park raves about the one near her.
There's more than one Viet Thai? You'd think it would kill some of these people to make a website.

You have to do Pho. I've only had it once and it's already on the permanent must list. Though trust me, medium is all you need.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
There's more than one Viet Thai? You'd think it would kill some of these people to make a website.

You have to do Pho. I've only had it once and it's already on the permanent must list. Though trust me, medium is all you need.
Medium is probably more than I need or want!

There are 3 Viet Thais as I recall but I can't remember where the third one is. And I'm not positive if they are the same company. That being said, does three restaurants constitute a chain?

I'm amazed when any business that requires the public to be involved doesn't have a well-maintained website. I know many have moved to Facebook, but in my experience that's a poor excuse for web presence.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Medium is probably more than I need or want!

There are 3 Viet Thais as I recall but I can't remember where the third one is. And I'm not positive if they are the same company. That being said, does three restaurants constitute a chain?

I'm amazed when any business that requires the public to be involved doesn't have a well-maintained website. I know many have moved to Facebook, but in my experience that's a poor excuse for web presence.
I guess I draw the line at Showmars. I don't really care if it's a small chain I just want it to be independent and probably not franchisable. Tony's Pizza for instance has been stalking me since I was 14. Everywhere I move they pop up a location. But all of them (OK maybe not all) are pretty authentic in the way that it's hard to understand them sometimes and all locations are using the same methods.

Oh, when I say medium I don't mean heat I mean size. They have medium, large and XLarge and their spring rolls are huge. My friend ate three.

Web presence is funny. My local diner that I just discovered in Shuffletown has a website that hasn't been updated in forever. There's an entry for "Gilled Chicken" which I thought was funny and long fixed in real life. Now I'm not sure they know it's a typo. In fact I'm not sure it is though I don't think chicken have gills. What I'm getting at is that it's listed that way on their current menu but that might not have changed in 8 years either.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:13 PM

44 posts, read 111,070 times
If you like Cajun food, I highly recommend Cajun Yard Dog in the Arboretum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte